What can i do to improve my guitaring. I mainly into rock and metal but at the moment all i seem to be doing it learning riffs that it. I had a few lession learnt a few chords but everything else is self taught using tabs. But at the moment i dont seem to be improving i still dont think im near good enough to be in a band or anything. What should i be doing?
What should i be doing?

One of the biggest setbacks in learning is inspiration.

You say you don't think you're good enough to be in a band...Hogwash...

Look on craigslist or post on craigslist yourself.
Tell the truth, intermediate guitar player looking for others to jam with..
something like that.

You don't have to actually make or join a band, but play with others.
That will get the inspiration going.

Even if you end up playing with someone way better, they probably won't mind much. They will enjoy thier head getting big.

Play with others...!!

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Im not trying to be a dick but use the search bar. This is a very commonly asked question and people get sick of answering it so you wont get any good or helpful answers, so try using the search bar and see what ideas other people were given. You need to just figure out with what your struggling with and work on it. For example if your having problems with chord transition then sit down and work on it until you either have it down or are doing much better with it then you were. As long as you dont quit playing until you notice an improvement in one aspect of your playing you have to improve. Do this daily with many different techniques.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Ive been playing for ages but seem to still be crap. And i cant solo for the life of me.
Quote by the_b1ues
Ive been playing for ages but seem to still be crap. And i cant solo for the life of me.

That's pretty much your answer right there.
Learn simple solos and learn some scales. Then dial up the difficulty up a bit.

You've basically got to ask yourself what you DON'T know.
do you know your major, minor, and 7th chords? If you don't, learn 'em!
They are pretty damn common chords. And saying that "your style of music doesn't use them" isn't an acceptable answer.

Branching out to different genres is GOOD, in fact, it's an excellent thing to do. So pick another genre and find some songs that you like (which could take a while) and learn those songs. Jazz is good for improvising and increasing chord knowledge, but is not the only choice.

Learn music theory. No, seriously, do it.
Stuff like learning how a major scale is made and knowing all the notes on the fretboard (not as hard as you'd think) is invaluable.

Set some targets can help.
* Set multiple short term goals (1 week, maybe even one day!)
* Set a medium term (1 month or more)
* Set a long term goal ( over a few months to a year maybe?)
Setting goals is a good thing (especially short term goals) as they give you a feeling of progress and actually DO give you progress.

let's see... Some short term goals could be learning all 5 positions of the pentatonic, or those 7th chords. Perhaps a bit of music theory?

A medium term goal could be something like improving technique (stuff like minimum movement or more complex music theory), or getting a solo perfected!

And a long term could be getting a difficult grade on guitar.
Perhaps a very difficult technique perfected or a certain song that is VERY difficult for you?

Hope this helps you.

EDIT: oh yeah, and remember. Set targets that are actually achievable and not something too difficult.
Take your time, and take it easy!
Last edited by osXtiger at Jul 27, 2009,
learn the pentatonic minor scale in all 5 positions in the keys of A and E to start with as most classic rock is based around these. once you learn the shapes and how they relate to each other you will recognise and read tab alot better also.
Learn you scales, technical exercises, theory. And practice it on the regular.
Thanks alot of could tips i think im going to have to learn the pentatonic minor scale in all 5 positions as i dont really no any scales i just play a few riffs from tabs.
Learn theory and other genres than rock and metal.
Take a look at funk, blues, jazz, classical, ...
It might change your look at music a bit, and you can also get inspiration by doing this.

Also go and jam with more experienced people.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by the_b1ues
I no a bit of theroy but i dont really find it helps when reading tabs.

It shouldn't help you reading tabs! It should make you a better guitar player.
Theory helps you improvising and writing your own songs, creating your own riffs, licks and solos.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
It shouldn't help you reading tabs! It should make you a better guitar player.
Theory helps you improvising and writing your own songs, creating your own riffs, licks and solos.

Yeh i guess so im just terrible at rememebers like i no all the notes up and down the frets but i can rememeber them off the top of my head. What theroy should i learn. Could someone give me a list?
tell you the truth, everyone gets in ruts where they don't feel they are improving. you just have to be able to overcome that and be inspired enough to tackle something that is diffucult for you. If you continue doing the same excercises, playing the same riffs and songs, you shouldn't expect to get but so much better. ALWAYS strive to learn new things.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Yeh by the sound of it i should really be learning scales and hopefully start being able to improvise. I hate when a mate comes over and it like play me something and i have nothing to show them i need something to show off lol.
Dude go buy a theory book and take some lessons. Don't have to take em for long. Just long enough to have someone explain the theory in the book and show you how to apply it. I have been taking lessons for almost a year now and only learning riffs and simple solos from songs I chose. I got bored with that and bought the theory book and brought it in just 2 weeks ago. Already paying off. Don't be afraid to let someone show you how to become better.
I have taken lessions and i no basic theory like the notes chords that kind of thing. Currently i cant afford lession thats why i havnt done any in like a year. So i might go for the book.
Last edited by the_b1ues at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by the_b1ues
I have taken lessions and i no basic theory like the notes chords that kind of thing. Currently i cant afford lession thats why i havnt done any in like a year. So i might go for the book.

you really don't have to have lessons to improve. they're are so many instructional videos out there to teach you anything you want. look at licklibrary.com or alfred publishing or hot licks. lots of stuff. just figure out what you want to learn.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
you really don't have to have lessons to improve. they're are so many instructional videos out there to teach you anything you want. look at licklibrary.com or alfred publishing or hot licks. lots of stuff. just figure out what you want to learn.

Want to learn something different to help me inprove. Like i said i seem to no loads of riffs and thats it.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE there are no short cuts and srry fr sounding like a dick
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by greendayispunk
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE there are no short cuts and srry fr sounding like a dick

yeh i understand that but i dont no what to practice lol.