Hey guys

I seem to post alot on buying guitars here and never actually buy one.

Well i am getting a fender amp for free off my dads mate so i decided i may as well get a guitar.

I have narrowed it down to Epiphone Les Paul Standard, is it in any way a decent guitar?

I read the reviews on the site but i would prefer a direct answer.

Also what difference does wood make in the sound of a guitar?

Cheers.

Joshua.
different wood = different resonances = different tone

also, take a look at non-Gibson and non-Epiphone les paul models.
you can probably find something much better.
Vintage Lemon Drop for example.
Quote by heminder
different wood = different resonances = different tone

also, take a look at non-Gibson and non-Epiphone les paul models.
you can probably find something much better.
Vintage Lemon Drop for example.

lol i have scoured for months for a guitar which has all the sounds i want.

and you put the seed of doubt in my mind lol.

I suppose i did just ask but i mean is it a poor model?

I played my mates Epiphone and it sounds great but I don't know what model it is and he is not around.

I mean is it good quality, lasts long etc.
I haven't been on an Epi of Gibson for years, but I've heard that, at this point, Epiphone is more strict with its quality control. What's got you stuck on Gib/Epi? Look into some darker wood guitars of other brands. If you can deal with a fairly slim neck, Ibanez's S series has some dark body woods that can, depending on your pickup and amp, get near a Paul's tone. I prefer Fender, but that's just me, and honestly, I hated them until I found the Strat I've got now.
Don't buy an epi.

Though I do recommend a les paul, I got a deluxe in a pawn shop, perfect condition not a single scratch or dent on it for 850, with the bad ass case. While that is a little more expensive it's totally worth it, I've yet to play a guitar that even comes close, I've got a real american strat an epi les paul and a gretsch but the Gibson les paul blows them all out of the water.

The biggest thing when buying a new guitar is to look around everywhere, pawn shops, used guitar stores, random music shops, the internet, there's a good deal out there somewhere.
i got a 2003 epi standard and its all that ive ever wanted. its perfect you cant go wrong.
Quote by Le_Bunny
LE shoop? It must be rad. And yes, I see potential.

P.S. nobody google 'man train'.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
I haven't been on an Epi of Gibson for years, but I've heard that, at this point, Epiphone is more strict with its quality control. What's got you stuck on Gib/Epi? Look into some darker wood guitars of other brands. If you can deal with a fairly slim neck, Ibanez's S series has some dark body woods that can, depending on your pickup and amp, get near a Paul's tone. I prefer Fender, but that's just me, and honestly, I hated them until I found the Strat I've got now.

Well i looked at fenders too but i was drawn more towards epiphone cause fenders just seem to be the hair metal/blues rock sound to me.

I need a guitar i can play metal and funk rock and jazzy stuff on. So it seems more versatile to me.

I looked up Les Paul Custom and i heard its more bright than the Standard which has a dark sound. I like dark sounds though so i thought it would be more suited.
Quote by str84ever
lol i have scoured for months for a guitar which has all the sounds i want.

and you put the seed of doubt in my mind lol.

I suppose i did just ask but i mean is it a poor model?

I played my mates Epiphone and it sounds great but I don't know what model it is and he is not around.

I mean is it good quality, lasts long etc.

oops, sorry

in my view the whole "Gibson" chain of companies charge extra for the name.
a friend of mine recently got an Epiphone LP Standard (in cherryburst ), and i wasn't particularly thrilled about it.
their quality control, from what i've read on UG, is questionable.

best thing to do when you're lost is to go to a shop and try out a dozen.
If you play it, love the feel of it, the sound and it feels like it's good quality, then it's the right guitar for you. Just remember that when you ask on a forum for guitar advice people are always going to recommend the 'next step up' or their favourite brand. BUT, before you commit to the buy I recommend you try out some LTD Les Paul equivelants, although they are more centered to metal / hardcore and I don't know what you play.

EDIT: About the wood, truly - not much. People harp on so much about different tone-woods, but in a full-band situation, realistically no one is going to notice the difference between bass-wood and poplar without looking for it. Of course different woods do give different sounds, but I think that it's more important to get a guitar in your price range that plays nicely than focussing on the tone wood. Also, remember that when recording, no matter how much a guitarist ****s around with their tone a recording engineer will usually put a hi-pass on the guitar tracks and EQ the **** out of it. A guitar can sound good on it's own with lots of mids and bass, but when you throw bass, drums and vocals into the mix they the guitar to stick out in the high freq's, nothing else.
Last edited by BGSM at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by heminder
oops, sorry

in my view the whole "Gibson" chain of companies charge extra for the name.
a friend of mine recently got an Epiphone LP Standard (in cherryburst ), and i wasn't particularly thrilled about it.
their quality control, from what i've read on UG, is questionable.

best thing to do when you're lost is to go to a shop and try out a dozen.

The reason anything with Gibson on the headstock is so expensive is because is all HAND MADE from start to finish, all human beings working on it, no robots, no computer programs making you're guitar, none of that, people actually make them.

Don't get me wrong, Epiphone makes a great guitar, but it's nothing compared to real thing. I've got both, an Epi les paul, and a Gibson Les Paul. Gibson dominates the Epi. It's way more expensive for a reason.

But like I said earlier, you can find them for under a grand, I got one for 850.
Quote by str84ever
Well i looked at fenders too but i was drawn more towards epiphone cause fenders just seem to be the hair metal/blues rock sound to me.

I need a guitar i can play metal and funk rock and jazzy stuff on. So it seems more versatile to me.

I looked up Les Paul Custom and i heard its more bright than the Standard which has a dark sound. I like dark sounds though so i thought it would be more suited.

Fender can definitely do those things, but Gibson LPs are good for blues as well; people shred on them as well, so it all depends on what you do and want to do with a guitar. Look at Zakk Wylde - he rips a Paul up. More of it has to do with what you do and how you do it on the guitar than what type of guitar it is. That's not to say that some guitars aren't suited better for some genres, but that can be eliminated by hands of experience.

Not to mention pickups and amp choice