i sweat from my hands so much that i rust a new pair of strings in one or two days. its making me unable to practice guitar cause my strings are always rusted all the time. what can i do?
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
wear gloves, or wipe your hands every 10 minutes. Might save your strings a little time.
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
i can play guitar with rusted strings?
get some coated strings?
wipe your hands alot more
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Wipe your strings/hands during and after playing.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
wash hands before you play. wipe down guitar every now and then. For me, I use ernie balls, so they start to rust after like 30 minutes.. Trust me. Your state isn't as bad as mine. Gotta trust me. washing hands before makes a HUUUGE difference.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by brandooon
i sweat from my hands so much that i rust a new pair of strings in one or two days. its making me unable to practice guitar cause my strings are always rusted all the time. what can i do?

Try Elixir strings, I've heard of people who sweat a lot that use them and the protective coat over the strings lets them last a lot longer than other strings.
Quote by apak
wash hands before you play. wipe down guitar every now and then. For me, I use ernie balls, so they start to rust after like 30 minutes.. Trust me. Your state isn't as bad as mine. Gotta trust me. washing hands before makes a HUUUGE difference.

I'm just like you, mine are all dirty, wouldn't call it rusted yet, restringed last week. Thinking about getting one of those string cleaning products to see if it helps, anyway I always wipe my hands to my shirt or something after each song played :P
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
i sweat quite a bit as well, but i found an answer to the rusty strings problem

i always run along a piece of steel wool up and down each string when i finish playing.
keeps the strings nice and shiny for weeks

if you do this, watch your pickups. you don't want any of the steel wool in there.
docs have prescription medication for hands.

or you can buy a small stick or antiperspirant just for your hands.

nope not joking.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Boiller
I'm just like you, mine are all dirty, wouldn't call it rusted yet, restringed last week. Thinking about getting one of those string cleaning products to see if it helps, anyway I always wipe my hands to my shirt or something after each song played :P

I use dunlop string cleaner. It's pretty good. I wipe each string, even under it, with those cheap yellow instrument cloths. They flake a lot, but the combination of the two work wonders. Like new strings every time.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I was thinking about getting a small fan pointed at my fretting hand, kinda like steve vai does at some festivals :P
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
wash ur strings and hands beford,after, and during playing time.
get one of those cheap pair of gloves, the black stretchy ones, and cut off the fingers of one. wear it on ur fretting hand. (make sure to cut of ALL of the fingers, or ur going to get fuzz on ur strings
If its really bad you may have a medical condition? I knew a girl once that had something that made her appendages sweat alot, dont remember the name, and she had it fixed somehow. I dunno if this is the same situation but at your next appointment just mention it to the doc.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
You could try a coated string set such as elixirs,

You can use some sort of string polish to help make your strings (and fretboard) last longer,

Or I've found that it helps to turn the fan on while I practice. Make it so its cool enough that your hands don't sweat but not so cool where its uncomfortable.

I used to use elixirs for a long time and suffered from sweaty palms as well and they always lasted me a few weeks minimum.

For polish I use this:

Its got a string and fretboard polish, as well as body polish and fret cleaner. It'll run you about 20-30$, but one case will last a looooong time. I don't personally use the string cleaner, but who knows it may work wonders.
Use Elixer Strings. Elixer's rust only after 10-12 months. I changed em on my strat in December of 08 and they still havn't rusted
Quote by Boiller

I'm glad i'm not the only one who's had this issue. I clean my strings, probably not the proper way, but it works for me... Although i do currently need to restring.
i sweat like a mother as well.

i use elixir strings (which has been said plenty of times already), and wipe down my basses/guitars after use with a cloth. it really helps with the strings rusting. also having a rag or cloth by my side while i practice lets me contiously wipe my hands throughout practice sessions.
I'm just another musician waiting to be famous.

follow my twitter here
Please! listen to my music here
i have the same problem, elixirs and string cleaner worked wonders for me.
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by jj1565
docs have prescription medication for hands.

or you can buy a small stick or antiperspirant just for your hands.

nope not joking.

Seriously consider this. Hyperhidrosis is the medical term for the condition. They can give you a perscription antiperspirant and it really does work. I tried everything on the market for 4 years before seeing a dermatologist, definitely worth it imo.
Damn, I've used the same strings on my current guitar for about 8 months and they're still perfect. Normally restring more often than this, but I'm in Korea and can't be bothered to haggle for strings again in Korean.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Deoderant on hands..?
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Quaned
Deoderant on hands..?

antiperspirant yes. i wouldnt do it then eat dinner. but if you didnt want to go to a doc about it and it's a real problem, then you could keep a stick in your guitar case stuff and put a little on your palms before playing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Elixir-Nanoweb-Electric-Light-Strings?sku=101536

I'm lucky enough that my hands don't sweat, and a set of these will have lasted my PRS copy over a year and a half in a week or two. Except the high E, but I break those like hell as I have large, arguably fat, powerful hands that like to hit them as hard as they can, so I always get a loose high E(D'Addario sells those for $.50,) that's two gauges higher than the rest. So I imagine a set of these should last you a good month or two.

Also don't forget to wipe them off with a neoprene cloth or something of the sort after playing; it's a tip I picked u off Carlos Santana's website, it's worked wonders for my acoustic so far.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by xtheclincherx
lol wut?

It'll be a year and six months that the strings on my Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 copy have been on sometime in the second week of August. I should probably replace them for tone, but I'm too lazy unless they snap.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
holy crap those are some sweaty hands. i'm sorry to hear about that. i'm going to agree with the others and suggested coated strings.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
When I play a gig I just wear sweatbands and wipe my hands on a towel after every song, I've gotta try the deodrant thing. What works for me is that fast fret stuff.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by nowa90
i can play guitar with rusted strings?

Me too and i think to restring the guitar every month is not worth the money, for practicing it doesn't matter if the strings are rusty or new for me.
Quote by heminder
i sweat quite a bit as well, but i found an answer to the rusty strings problem

i always run along a piece of steel wool up and down each string when i finish playing.
keeps the strings nice and shiny for weeks

if you do this, watch your pickups. you don't want any of the steel wool in there.

hah bet steel wool with the amp on would sound liek a symphony
Stop intaking liquid, then you will have no sweat.
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Quote by BigRob91
wear gloves, or wipe your hands every 10 minutes. Might save your strings a little time.

wipe your hands off, and by some string wipes
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball-Wonder-Wipes-String-Cleaner-104299763-i1176092.gc

they are amazing bro, trust me
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter