So it finally came today, my Danelectro Dead-On '67 guitar. Was really excited for this, and I heard a lot of great things about it.

Simply put, this thing is a complete piece of crap. Never ever EVER buy one of these. I know Danelectro's aren't known for quality, but this thing is a complete utter stinking pile of fail.

It has the WORST bridge I've ever experienced in my life. It's a complete pain in the butt to restring. The ball end of the strings don't even stay in the bridge. Hit the tremolo once and it goes horribly out of tune. Fret buzz galore. Came with scratches all over the body. Came with half the strings already broken off.

Pics: (they're too big for thread and I don't feel like resizing)
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7573/0727091811.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7159/0727091811a.jpgp

The thing has a decent feeling neck. It's very light. The pots are horrible, switching is horrible. Pickups sound average on clean and can't handle distortion for the life of them.

I've never been so completely disappointed in my life. I'm returning this tomorrow.

Do not buy.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Today's news: forum member buys guitar sight-unseen; complains about sound and playability; more at 11.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
wow, sorry to hear that. I thought they looked cool, but i personally wouldn't buy a guitar that cheap without trying it (or at least trying several others of the same brand and model if buying online), kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry to hear that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Don't buy without playing dude, don't complain when its your own fault.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by Mitchell?
He's not complaining, he's warning the rest of us...

I would hope the rest of us would play a guitar before buying it.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
You guys are completely missing the point. I'm warning you. I'm not trying to divert the blame or anything, I'm just sharing my opinion.

I know it's my own fault for blind buying, but two things. One, no stores around here carry them, and two, I've heard fairly good reviews of them so far.
I’ve taken some comfort
You might have gotten a lemon, some of their other guitars are nice.
Quote by Mutmoo
You might have gotten a lemon, some of their other guitars are nice.

After a LOT of messing around with it, I have it up to a mildly playable quality. It's still FAR from what a $350 guitar should feel like in my opinion. Starter guitars feel better.

The one good thing I can say about it is that it does have an honestly incredible clean tone. Something about those lipstick single coils really makes it sound incredible. Any distortion is a no-no though.
I’ve taken some comfort
lol, expecting quality from a $350 guitar is a little silly. It should be playable and everything but you shouldn't ever expect to be wowed. If it does happen then great, it's a bonus.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
^Have you ever played a Michael Kelly Patriot? Great quality at $350 new if you know where to look.

Anyways I have always been intrested in those Dano guitars because of the unique look and sound. Too bad they aren't built very well.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Have you ever played a Michael Kelly Patriot? Great quality at $350 new if you know where to look.

Anyways I have always been intrested in those Dano guitars because of the unique look and sound. Too bad they aren't built very well.
I'm sure it is great quality... for a $350 guitar.

I remember when everyone had to buy an Agile because they were low buck Gibson killers. What a joke that turned out to be.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
lol, expecting quality from Danelectro is a little silly.

Corrected
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ch0
I'm sure it is great quality... for a $350 guitar.

I remember when everyone had to buy an Agile because they were low buck Gibson killers. What a joke that turned out to be.

The Patriot actually goes for $520, but $350 when you know where to find them cheap. Anyways, they are mahogany with a curly maple cap that is carved with a deep set neck. It has grover tuners and Rockfield pickups. There isn't a guitar I would choose over it under $1000 for the stuff I play.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The Patriot actually goes for $520, but $350 when you know where to find them cheap. Anyways, they are mahogany with a curly maple cap that is carved with a deep set neck. It has grover tuners and Rockfield pickups. There isn't a guitar I would choose over it under $1000 for the stuff I play.
Right, show me where to look or it's a $500+ guitar which makes it irrelevant to this discussion.
Quote by Marty Friedman
$350 used is common, but sometimes found on ebay brand new.

Boo. Can't find the one on ebay right now. Maybe someone used the buyitnow? Anyways sorry for disrupting the discussion with my hallucinations of guitars.

Edit: Just found one for $399.99 brand new. Sorry I was 50 bucks off. http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Custom-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ390072445095QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5ad22128a7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Wow I don't think I've seen a NGD Danelectro thread since...well since I had one!! Congrats on your new addition! Danny's are awesome

You did read the first post right?

Quote by InfiniteRain
Simply put, this thing is a complete piece of crap. Never ever EVER buy one of these. I know Danelectro's aren't known for quality, but this thing is a complete utter stinking pile of fail.

For some reason I don't think he likes it very much
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
You should never trust reviews, your own review is your best. For instance, the Spider 3 75W scores an average review on sound of 8.4, and I quote from the top rated article
my axe has never sounded so good
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Sampy
You did read the first post right?
Look at her posts in any NGD thread. She doesn't ever seem to pay much attention to anything but the pictures

Quote by Juadafi
You should never trust reviews, your own review is your best. For instance, the Spider 3 75W scores an average review on sound of 8.4, and I quote from the top rated article
I know people who are very happy with their Spider. Not everyone's been brainwashed by UG.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by Juadafi

Oh I completely agree, I've learned that lesson a while ago. I trust a lot of people on here though and I've heard pretty good things about some of the Dano models so I figured I'd give it a try.

And I'm not expecting quality from a $350 guitar. Obviously, having a Fender Stratocaster and other nicer guitars, that wasn't what I was looking for here. However, the Jackson I bought as a starter guitar that was a lot less than this felt so much better.

Part of me still really likes this guitar despite everything. I feel like it's that piece of **** that nobody loves, and it needs a home. It looks awesome, and I must admit the satin finish on the neck makes it pretty fast. Good tone. but other than that, it isn't worth the money. Maybe if it was $200 I wouldn't even be so upset but I don't know.
I’ve taken some comfort
If you like it, give it it new hardware, get it a good set up or give it one and it should be okay. What's the body made out of?

Surely you won't spend more than $50 on some half decent hardware and an hour or two to set it up. Give it some love, and it'll give some back and be truly unique, cause I've never seen one like it before.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I would have never even considered buying that ridiculous looking guitar.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Juadafi
If you like it, give it it new hardware, get it a good set up or give it one and it should be okay. What's the body made out of?

Surely you won't spend more than $50 on some half decent hardware and an hour or two to set it up. Give it some love, and it'll give some back and be truly unique, cause I've never seen one like it before.

Honestly, I'd replace almost all the hardware on it. At that point it isn't worth it.

I would have never even considered buying that ridiculous looking guitar.

I think it looks awesome. Love the retro style, and it's sort of reminiscent of a Jaguar/Jazzmaster body design.
I’ve taken some comfort
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I would hope the rest of us would play a guitar before buying it.

eh, i order stuff online all the time. It's fine if you do your research, plenty of things i want aren't available in the shops here, plus trying something in a shop first isn't infallible, you can easily miss stuff.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
eh, i order stuff online all the time. It's fine if you do your research, plenty of things i want aren't available in the shops here, plus trying something in a shop first isn't infallible, you can easily miss stuff.

Thats fair enough for amps and pedals etc.

But when I buy a guitar I like to play it first, you can't experience a guitar properly from videos and sound clips.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
i've ordered plenty of guitars online. Granted I normally try to try it first, or try a similar model, but I've tried enough gear now to have a fair idea of whether I'll like something or not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fair enough.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ch0
I know people who are very happy with their Spider. Not everyone's been brainwashed by UG.

Last edited by Mitchell? at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc

When I 'Bayed by LP I played dozens of Standards and Studios of similar years locally first.

I'm just saying I can't imagine buying a guitar you've never touched before.

yeah. obviously you should try as much stuff as you can. But that depends on your location, too. If you're in a crappy area for decent shops, often ordering something which you haven't tried but which has a good reputation is better than going with the mediocre entry-level stuff in your local stores.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?