Any tips of how to get over the fear of playing in front of lots of people?

I'm good but for some reason I can only play in front of people I know.
I just get sweaty palms and my playing just gets very sloppy.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
just don't worry about it, that always works for me
Harlington - Indie/Progressive/Hard Rock

Live Rig:
Gibson SG
Boss RT-20 Rotary Pedal
Fender Supersonic
just play in front of people more often. everyone feels nervous the first few times then they get over it.
Quote by yourbelovednick
just don't worry about it, that always works for me

This. When I play infront of people, I just ignore the crowd and concentrate on playing. Also what really helps when performing, is when your near you bandmates, just like facing each other and jamming. Somehow it just makes you feel more comfortable.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
I don't have a band but people drop by to listen sometimes.

So i'm bassicaly alone

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Everybody has stage fright at first, especially with a talent that until that point they kept to themselves, but after a while it just seems natural to get u pin front of people.
People aren't going to judge you and if they do then you don't need them anyways.
yeah dont worry about it too much. and just think about how you would feel if you were the vocalist, singing and having to look out at the crowd.

another good thing would be to get to know some people who come to the shows, just chill with them and get to know them for a few minutes, it might help you feel more comfortable.
Start with friends and family ... maybe bad open mic nights, if you have one. There's a local open mic that a lot of people dislike, because the crowd is disrespectful and talks over performers. It's good practice though, since no one hears you if you flub. Once you've played out a few times though, a disrespectful audience is more likely to throw you off.

Some people recommend alcohol as a lubricant. If you're of legal age, of course. I find that taking a shot or two before I play usually helps me relax and sing better, but I'm more likely to botch guitar parts, so it's kind of a wash. Same thing with lots of caffeine - I feel like I have more energy to sing than I normally would if I was nervous, but then my hands get shaky and a flub tough guitar parts. But everyone is different.

The best advice is to play the same two or three songs every time until you're comfortable. Don't worry about boring the crowd week after week - if they don't like it, nuts to them. Once you feel like you can ace those songs, mix it up a little. Play one of your good songs, and a new song. After a few months, you'll feel a lot better about it.

If you can bring a friend - even just to watch - that helps immensely. Give them some bongos if they can play, or ask them to sit right up front if they can't. Having a friend nearby will make you feel much safer, and by extension much less nervous.
I don't sing because I have a slur.
I only play my own material.
Dont like learning songs because its not my stuff.

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
I never get stage fright when I perform. I like when my audience (be it one person or dozens) is appreciative of me playing. I know that's really egotistical, but I enjoy when the crowd gives me some feedback.
Just think about the purpose of what you're playing. I like to entertain people but I also like to hear criticism as well, it helps me feel more compelled to move on when someone tells me what I did wrong or what I should work on.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Just get aboslutely ****en plastered
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
I used to get stage fright for the first bit. How I got over it was I bought one of those little pocket amps and then I just went walking around for a few hours playing. It got a few looks (after all, it's not everyday that you see someone just walking around playing guitar) but after the first bit, I just started to get used to the attention.

And besides, you generally don't really have to worry about what other people think as long as you can get most of the notes right. You won't get booed off stage unless you it's like your first time ever picking up a guitar. As long as you get through the song, you will probably get applause, no matter how many mistakes you made.

A good little thing to think off is, if it's a cover, as long as it's recognizable you did good. If it's an original, if it has a nice even flow, most people will like it (except hardcore prog-heads, like me, who are always looking for key changes and tempo changes).
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I started at electric jam nights near where I live, many moons ago now.

Just go and see what it's like for the first time. Make a note of the tunes they play, and learn them + others in that genre.

As for getting up on stage, concentrate on playing well, and not looking good, and the rest should come naturally.

Ben.
Fudoshin.

XxX-Ben-xXx
Everyone gets stage fright. Just ignore the crowd, picture you and your bandmates jammin' in your basement or something, block out the crowd and just concentrate on playing. Or, if your comfortable in front of your friends, imagine all your friends there cheering for you. Get really "into" your playing, like slash or angus young, you won't have to ignore the crowd because you won't notice them. Eventually you'll get over it.
im fine with both types of audiences but i prefer people i dont know. make your vision blurry and you wont see them that well or just paint eyes on your eyelids and close your eyes if you need to see your guitar then look at the guitar and not the audience
Jimmy Page has stage fright all the time...you can tell by how many times he screws up live.
A good thing that I do is to play in front of a camcorder. Recording yourself playing is like playing to an audience, without the embarrasing aftermath.
Just pretend your playing at home. I'm really nevous when in front of people but for my first gig I wasn't nervous at all.

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
when i first started i was a nervous wreck. after about the second time it just went away. i guess i just got used to it
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Any tips of how to get over the fear of playing in front of lots of people?

I'm good but for some reason I can only play in front of people I know.
I just get sweaty palms and my playing just gets very sloppy.

I have the exact oposite problem... friends family or girlfriend I am screwed... randomly playing it guitar center I can really let it rip. I guess my problem is I know the people so I am afraid of what they will think but the people in guitar center can laugh all they want but I will never see them again

Also, you wanna not worry about stage fright? Look up my band contents may vary on youtube and watch either the paranoid or aint talkin bout love video's... I sang part of paranoid and we had a friend do aint talkin bout love... and we royaly sucked but no one cares really because if you can't play the instrument... do not nock the instrument

Also, if you watch the videos feel free to laugh out loud... I do every time I see em
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Last edited by Elusive at Jul 30, 2009,