My current guitar/amp:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSA60-Electric-Guitar?sku=519536
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908

For a while, I've been thinking about a new amp. However, playing a Schecter C-1 at Best Buy made me unsure. My guitar's neck has just been a pain; I've had the truss rod adjusted about three times since mid-April. Despite this, I still get a noticeable amount of fret buzz. I don't think it's the action, since I just had the guitar set-up and it still has some buzz.

As for the amp, there's no huge issues, except the speaker growls and snarls when I push the master volume past 10 o'clock. Sure, replacing the speaker would probably fix the problem, but why buy a speaker that costs just as much as the amp?

Anyway, here are the guitar/amp which I'd replace each with:

http://schecterguitars.com/ (the Schecter C-1)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

Help would be appreciated.
Do you like the amp you have now? if you ahte the guitar and like the amp than upgrade the guitar.
Amp.

Guitar upgrades are mostly for playability, but I'm sure you can trade for a guitar you'll like to play while saving your money for purchasing a better amp.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Whats your budget? That guitar is pretty good but you said about the fret buzz. The amp is pretty good, although its a only like 10W.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Amp. I'm not even that experienced on this site, but I've seen enough of these, and read enough reasons to believe upgrade amp. Unless your 100% satisfied with the tone and performance of your current amp, then you buy the guitar. But If not, guitars can be set up, and modded for much cheaper than an amp.
I am a Stephenist
If you're happy with your amp and don't see yourself needing a bigger one anytime soon, get the guitar. I would usually say get an amp first, but you don't seem to have any problems with your amp?
I have a huge fear if rays.
I don't completely hate the guitar as if it should be removed from this world, I just...don't like the way it plays. It probably would make sense for me to upgrade the guitar next, though, since I'm not going to be gigging any time soon. Plus, I'm fine with the amps tone. Playability, I'd imagine, is more important than tone.
exactly^. in 90% of threads here id reccoment amp then guitar. but in your case it makes practical sense to upgrade guitar first. you said you wont need a louder amp anytime soon and the vypers tones arnt bad and you seem to be fine with them. Buying a new guitar, which feels better and you like better will make you play more and you;ll have more fun doing it. which means you will learn more.
guitar. make sure you really liek the neck on it, and you'll love to play. that the way to do er IMO
like this guy^ generally amp would come first, but i think u should treat urself to a nice axe.
good luck man
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Alright, thanks GG&A. Like I said, I played a Schecter C-1 recently and it felt amazing right off of the shelf. Great neck, love the higher neck radius; it played like a dream. I don't have enough money for it now, but I am definitely saving up for it.
Quote by enalsisiht
exactly^. in 90% of threads here id reccoment amp then guitar. but in your case it makes practical sense to upgrade guitar first. you said you wont need a louder amp anytime soon and the vypers tones arnt bad and you seem to be fine with them. Buying a new guitar, which feels better and you like better will make you play more and you;ll have more fun doing it. which means you will learn more.

That's just cause we want to see a NAD.....we're sluts.

Oh and I love Schecters...I want the C-1 Hollywood, but don't have a grand on me so yea....not yet...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Jul 28, 2009,
Get the amp. The people who are telling you to buy guitars probably just enjoy getting new guitars and don't even listen to their tone. If your amp sounds like crap but you are playing your current guitar fine, there is no reason to upgrade your guitar.

A 10,000 dollar guitar can sound like absolute crap going through a 10watt solid state beginners pack amp, but a 100 dollar guitar will sound like gold coming out of a quality amp.

That guitar you have now has a fast neck, and the Schecter will feel a little slower. The amp you have however is definitely not the best sounding thing in the world, so that is why I think this is a no brainer; get the amp.
I agree with insideac, I have an ibanez gio and it came with a 10watt amp($200) it was a pack, and the guitar im not crazy about but i really only played about 5 guitars and im not really sure on fast necks but i was gonna get a new guitar or amp and instead i got a new amp the Line 6 15watt, compared to my 10watt Ibanez, the guitar is like a god. The tone is just that much better and especially with all the knobs to mess around with itll be much more better then an awesome guitar on my 10watt ibanez amp. Only because the ibanez 10watt isn't that great. Go for amp. The guitar is really just how you like it and if it's comfortable. But i would care about my sound a lot more then what im holding.(but thats just me).
Quote by insideac
Get the amp. The people who are telling you to buy guitars probably just enjoy getting new guitars and don't even listen to their tone. If your amp sounds like crap but you are playing your current guitar fine, there is no reason to upgrade your guitar.

A 10,000 dollar guitar can sound like absolute crap going through a 10watt solid state beginners pack amp, but a 100 dollar guitar will sound like gold coming out of a quality amp.

I must whole heartedly disagree. Sure, it will sound bad, but better than a 100 dollar squier. The Amp is not the deciding factor, the Guitar isnt either. Its a three way combination of the Stick, the Sound, and the man/woman thats delivering it.

I would almost always vote Guitar before Amp. Amps depreciate in most cases, unless you get a Mark IV, or a vintage Fender. A lot of high quality Guitars will appreciate in value, making them better investments. Most gutarists I know go through so many amps, but have that go-to stick.

I agree, the amp matters, a lot. His Vyper should do fine until he starts gigging hardcore. In some small venues, with the right PA set-up and Monitors, you wouldnt even notice it.

Saw a guy once play a show through a Blues Jr. through a PA, his tone blew me away. But man, I left thinking "That dude can play." not "Thats a kick ass amp."
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by insideac
If your amp sounds like crap but you are playing your current guitar fine, there is no reason to upgrade your guitar.

You're absolutely right.

However, if you'd read the TS's posts, he said he liked the amp but didn't really like playing his guitar. So there.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
i had something like that ibanez once, not fun to play. i am a big amp guy myself, but looking at your ax situation makes me lean toward getting the shecter. had me a diamond series schecter once, liked it, got a les paul eventually though so i traded it. if you had an rg series ibanez i would have said get an amp, but that guitar needs upgrading. the guitar will give comfortable playability, then the amp will give you much better tone later.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae