Hello everyone, I play anything from heavy metal to jazz but I would like a guitar that is mainly good for metal because that is what my "band" does. Anyone know of anything under $500 that is worth buying?
Shape or wood preferences?
Want a trem?
Bolt on, NT, or set neck?

But, based on a wild guess Im suggesting Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe. Costs 500 US dollars, EMG 81/85's, mahogany body, bolt on neck
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Any of the LTD 50-series will work. Most of them (if not all) have the LH-150 pickups, so it's rather a matter of your taste in shapes if you do go for those. I would probably avoid getting a trem guitar for that budget, since the trem (most likely a Floyd Rose copy on metal guitars) will likely be as far from decent you could get.
Check out a MiM fat Strat and possibly look at swapping the humbucker down the road.
Quote by Arzei
Any of the LTD 50-series will work. Most of them (if not all) have the LH-150 pickups, so it's rather a matter of your taste in shapes if you do go for those. I would probably avoid getting a trem guitar for that budget, since the trem (most likely a Floyd Rose copy on metal guitars) will likely be as far from decent you could get.

I wouldn't get anything that's under the 400 series mark. Most of the bodies under the 400 mark are made out of agathis, which is really crappy wood.
I agree with not getting a 50 series. If hes willing to go just below the 500 mark he can do alot better than that.

Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I wouldn't get anything that's under the 400 series mark. Most of the bodies under the 400 mark are made out of agathis, which is really crappy wood.
This is true, it does muddle the tone down. My EX-50 did the job for me for two years though. That one's made out of basswood though, which is also used in John Petrucci's signature series for example. Of course, there's basswood and there's a lot better basswood, but still.

Really though, the tonal properties of different woods won't really make themselves heard a lot unless you've got a good amp.
Oh crap, I forgot...

Is this money for guitar or both guitar and amp?

DBZ Barchetta Absinthe is retailing for $499. I;m sure you could finagle something lower for it. I just pre-ordered a Barchetta Eminent and played it at the NAMM show. Was just killer for the money.
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
i think esp has the best guitars in that price range, do u like slayer? the esp ltd jeff hanneman guitar is about 470 online. if not look at their other ones, i love my ltd its very comfortable to play
I have already got an amp and of course I like slayer!

I have also been looking at ltd's like someone mentioned.
I woulsd say ltd at that price range. Possibly a schecter? You might want to look into them.