I hear people using the terms "analog" and "digital" to refer to how a pedals made and stuff... I can tell the tonal difference between analog and digital, but what is physically different between the two? I'm talking about the way its made, i guess.
google it.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Analog refers to a pure signal, one which is not sent through any type of processor. The wave length contains all the frequencies of the original signal, giving it a pure, warm tone (usually). If you were to imagine how the sound wave would look, it would be kind of like this:

~~~

Now, digital sounds are sent through a processor, which will usually remove certain frequencies, giving the sound a more sterile, clean tone. Some prefer this, others do not. A digital wave would look sort of like this:

^^^

So, physically, an anolog pedal will take the frequency and not process it in any way, rather it will simply send it through its technology.
Hope this helps!
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Analog refers to a pure signal, one which is not sent through any type of processor. The wave length contains all the frequencies of the original signal, giving it a pure, warm tone (usually). If you were to imagine how the sound wave would look, it would be kind of like this:

~~~

Now, digital sounds are sent through a processor, which will usually remove certain frequencies, giving the sound a more sterile, clean tone. Some prefer this, others do not. A digital wave would look sort of like this:

^^^

So, physically, an anolog pedal will take the frequency and not process it in any way, rather it will simply send it through its technology.
Hope this helps!

Thanks

I always thought analog and digital was just what it sounded like, until a couple days ago.
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

~~~

^^^

Hope this helps!

Okay, I think you are confusing tube and SS cliping, tube Cliping looks like ~~~ and SS cliping looks like ^^^. Analog and digital are different ways of storing information and really has little to nothing to do with cliping. For example, which sounds better a CD or a casete tape? Of coarse a CD sounds better and its digital signal and the tape is analoge, so your idea is flawed. Digital eqipment uses micro chips to store information, while analog use use a many different medias to store information such as tape or hard disk of some sort. The tonal difference in a delay pedal, for example, is quite different when comparing the two. The Analog delay losses information every time it repeates so it tends to roll off the highs and looses defention as it repeats, where as a digital delay can retain more information for longer periods but when information is lost they can sound thin and very digitaly like a low quality MP3. Now usually with a dealy you will seldomly need a delay time so long that the a digital delay will loose that much difinition, where as on an analog you will most likely notice the loss of information imediatly, but the analog delay is pleasant sounding when pushed to its limits. Many digital delays are now even setup to model an analoge delay in the way it responds. As far as other FX the difference is not really as big as most people make it out to be, all your OD and Dist. pedal are analoge, and most of your other single FX stomp boxes are as well, other than delay pedals.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

~~~

^^^

Hope this helps!

Your wrong my friend

Analogue: ~~~~

Digital: 10001111000110010

My point there is that a digital unit will transform your signal into binary information and process it digitally. So a digital effect unit/modeler is like a computer. People say that analogue is better than digital, wich is often true, but a powerful digital proccesser (like the AXE FX) will be able to recreate the conditions of an analogue signal path pretty close. However, a digital unit with low processing power (line 6 spider) won't be able to do this without lags, just like a slow computer lags when you do too much things at the same time. Cheap modelers sound like crap because there are not able to process enough information at the same time, so the signal going out is just kind of half processed.