Hey, alot of the times when I play guitar, I usually have wrist pains when playing chords.

I happens when I stand and sit, but sitting delays the pain.

Pics show my wrist is jutting out at a sharp angle, and I'm assuming this is the problem, but how can I fix it?

I have tried raising the guitar, and that helped temporarily, but I still got pain.

Sorry for the b&w pic, I couldn't get the filesize small enough with color, but you get the idea.
Masturbate
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
bring the guitar body ALSO up more,
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Koshman32
Masturbate

Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Quote by Koshman32
Masturbate

I believe you mean start masturbating with the other hand.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Koshman32
Masturbate

-.-

I need real answers.

I did raise the whole body and that helped alot, but the pain still occurs.
*fap fap fap*
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
get your wrist checked out by a doctor or something...if you love playing guitar, you'll do it.
how do you hold your thumb? Does it run parallel to or perpendicular to the neck?
Quote by Issor
how do you hold your thumb? Does it run parallel to or perpendicular to the neck?

Parallel, it points up to the headstock.
Try perpendicular that will open up the wrist more and may relieve pressure on some of the tendons in the wrist. That could be the source of the pain.
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Are you supporting the weight of the guitar with your hand? That's obviously something you should avoid. What kind of guitar is it?
Schecter Sunset Deluxe, it isnt really heavy, like it's not LP-ish, but it has a huge neck on it, do you think that could be a problem?
First thing, stop playing for now. As I've said in simialr threads, if you try to play through the pain you risk inflicting perminantly crippling and very painful injury on yourself.

Second thing, go down to a guitar store and try some different necks. Try slimmer necks, thicker neckers, narrower necks and wider necks. Just hold them in your normal position, see if any are less painful than others. Often when someone finds playing painful, it's just because the neck they're using is too narrow/wide/thin/thick.

Third thing, to make sure your wrist is in the proper relaxed position, when you're playing your thumb should always be in a position to mute the low E string. A lot of people wrongly brace their hand against the neck by putting the tip of their thumb in the middle of the back of the neck, directly opposite their fingers on the fretboard. This is actually quite wrong, though it means your fingers can stretch a bit further this is also a great way to cause yourself a lot of pain and develop crippling RSI. At the least, the tip of your thumb should be higher than your fingers and on the top edge of the neck, even if it's not quite reaching all the way over onto the fretboard.

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Schecter Sunset Deluxe [...] but it has a huge neck on it,
Schecter necks are actually pretty slim.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble

Third thing, to make sure your wrist is in the proper relaxed position, when you're playing your thumb should always be in a position to mute the low E string. A lot of people wrongly brace their hand against the neck by putting the tip of their thumb in the middle of the back of the neck, directly opposite their fingers on the fretboard. This is actually quite wrong, though it means your fingers can stretch a bit further this is also a great way to cause yourself a lot of pain and develop crippling RSI. At the least, the tip of your thumb should be higher than your fingers and on the top edge of the neck, even if it's not quite reaching all the way over onto the fretboard.

I've found that a lot of people misunderstand what "keep your thumb on the back of the neck" means.

For most people the healthiest way is to place your thumb past the middle point of the curve in the neck, but not fully wrapped - which can cause stress when you do any sort of stretches.
Quote by MrFlibble

When I do this it severely cripples my playing, and I can't do chords low on the neck at all. I have "small" fingers too, so would a thinner, more strat-like neck help?
Quote by MrFlibble

I have never heard anyone say that is correct positioning. I would like hear where you got that from.
Hmmm, I agree with MrFlibble....
You should STOP PLAYING. At least for a couple of days to give your body time to heal.
The next thing you should do is try different guitars, most likely the strain is from an overly wide neck. You don't have to buy anything, this is just to figure out the problem....

If you find no luck, it may be best to consult a professional. Take your guitar with you and show a doctor how you play and where it hurts. He may be able to point out something in the way your hand is positioned that is causing the damage.

In any case, do not ignore the problem and hope it goes away, odds are it will only get worse.
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Quote by Led man32
I have never heard anyone say that is correct positioning. I would like hear where you got that from.

Hendrix thought it was right.

The 'correct' position is so that the thumb is perpendicular to the neck and a little past the middle point of the neck. However many musicians wrap it around to mute strings or play chords with the thumb over (Hendrix, McCready, Frusciante, SRV, Mayer, Clapton).

OP: Stop playing, correct your posture, and literally relax while you play. I have problems with my back when I get to really intense playing for extended periods of time because I stiffen up for whatever reason. Relax the hand while playing and your thumb will feel less pain.

Try the 'thumb over' sort of picking and see if its' easier. You don't have to always have the thumb over the neck but I tend to have the pad laying on the edge (not interferring with strings) when its' not in use. Slide it up for chords/stuff.
Quote by manhangi
Hendrix thought it was right.

Hendrix also had huge hands so he could get away with poor technique and just because someone plays that way doesn't mean they THINK it is correct. He probably knew his technique was not great but simply did not care. If it works for you then there is no reason to change it unless it is causing discomfort or preventing you from progressing.
Ok, I've done a little bit of everything here, and it helped alot, thanks everyone.

My problem was definitely in my thumb, I had it positioned less than halfway on the neck, and parallel to the neck, which caused alot of strain. I also angled the guitar more and haven't had a problem since!

Thanks! (:
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Ok, I've done a little bit of everything here, and it helped alot, thanks everyone.(:

so you did try masturbating? it's one way to strengthen your wrist
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
so you did try masturbating? it's one way to strengthen your wrist

You're really pushing that. I'm not saying I don't agree with you. I mean, since I do periodically (daily), I've noticed that I can play longer without fatigue...

er...