Heyy UG..
Im having trouble being able to play fast licks in slow tempo songs, i cant seem to stay in time..
im guessing its because maybe im not playing the licks fast enough or something of that nature.. a good example of what i mean would be the solo to "in this river" by bls..its a fairly slow tempo song but zakk shredsssss at the solo and keeps in time very well..another good example would be his farewell balad..the song is slow yet he manages to throw in those blistering fast licks and keep in time with the song perfectly..
Can someone maybe give me some tips/exersizes to help with this problem..
any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I just play triplets at double the usual speed. I don't know exactly how fast that is.
A lick I use is like this

e---------4
b--7-4-7--7-4 And repeat

I'm a bad tabber, sorry. It can also be translated onto different strings and played at different intervals, so it can be completely altered.

EDIT: Other than triplets. Generally straight rhythms go in multiples of four such asL
Quater, Eighth, Sixteenth, Thirtyseconds, sixtyfourths and 128ths(which is like godspeed, I don't think it's really possible to play this fast) and so on so fourth(so punny!!)
Last edited by Dio10101 at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by MetalMayham666
so for example to play eighths i would have to play 8 notes between beats?

No eighth merely means it makes up 1/8 of a measure. For example: 2 Quarters + 2 Eighths + 4 sixteenths = 1 measure

Every measure has 4 beats. There are also half notes and Whole Notes, which I'm sure you can put 2 and 2(Punny as hell) together for those.

EDIT: It's like math
so theres 4 beats per measure...so there would be 4 sixteenths in one beat..2 eighths, 1 quarter..
Quote by MetalMayham666
so theres 4 beats per measure...so there would be 4 sixteenths in one beat..2 eighths, 1 quarter..

Exacatacaly. Knowing understanding and feeling rhythm is an important concept as a guitarist, it'll help you make more interesting and rhythmically complex riffs.
Quote by Dio10101
No eighth merely means it makes up 1/8 of a measure. For example: 2 Quarters + 2 Eighths + 4 sixteenths = 1 measure

Every measure has 4 beats. There are also half notes and Whole Notes, which I'm sure you can put 2 and 2(Punny as hell) together for those.

EDIT: It's like math

wut?
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

It's really nothing more than just practicing doing what you usually do at high speeds. Just break the beat down different.