Hi there!

I'm self-taught for 2 years, so perhaps this is a bad habit I've built up by myself. I seem to always keep the edge of my palm on the bridge, I find it easier to switch between muting and non-muted notes that way (I'm playing a les paul if that helps). I'm not sure if it counts as anchoring or not, I used to anchor with my pinky but grew out of that long ago.

There are a few problems I see though!

1- My picking hand sometimes cannot keep up with my fretting hand
2- When playing, the top of my 2nd and 3rd fingers sometimes scrapes the strings causing soreness. It doesn't affect my playing, but after a while it starts to sting lol
3- Sometimes, usually with a fast palm-muted riff, I miss a note on accident (this could likely just mean I need to practice those particular riffs more)
4? - My sweeps quite often just don't happen

ANYWAY, could this be whats causing my "problems"? I say it like that because I think I'm just being overly-fussy. I've also been told I hold the pick strangely, but it's always felt comfortable that way (despite the aforementioned grazing of the tops of my fingers)
do you hold the pick tight?
My Gear:

I finally got my guitar and amp!:

MIM Fender Candy Apple Red Stratocaster
Vox VT30
30 Year Old Hofner 12-String Acoustic (i got this for free!)
You're pretty much same as me... i keep my palm next to bridge ALWAYS, and find that i hold my pick really weirdly.

It doesn't really matter how you hold the pick, as long as you can play comfortably with it everything is fine.

1) More practise to coordinate both hands.
2) I'm not sure what you mean here, but i've always tucked my fingers in in my hand when i play.
3) More practise.
4) These take some time, so practise
you might want to check they way you hold your pick. when i held it wrong it relay held back my playing. and when i sweep nothing happens either so dont worry about that.
Resting your plam on the bridge isn't anchoring, anchoring is putting one or more finger on the body as a pivot point.
1. You need to slow down until you can get your hands in sync
2. Hold your fingers up a little bit, or curl them in like you're maing a fist
3. Practice slower until you can get it solid, then speed up
4. See 3
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Themilkmaker
you might want to check they way you hold your pick. when i held it wrong it relay held back my playing. and when i sweep nothing happens either so dont worry about that.

I forgot to mention this too. I hold the pick extremely tight, and I have my fingers sorta half tucked in. I hold the pick so tight, that after a few days of using even a thick one, there's almost a bend, or inward groove, that fits my thumb. I actually find that once the picks have been "played in" my technique gets better.
yea i got that alot to and even now i catch myself doing that. i use the warping of a pick as a reminder that i need to relax on the kung fu death grip.
Quote by Themilkmaker
yea i got that alot to and even now i catch myself doing that. i use the warping of a pick as a reminder that i need to relax on the kung fu death grip.

lol, "kung fu death grip" I like it xD
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Hi there!

I'm self-taught for 2 years, so perhaps this is a bad habit I've built up by myself. I seem to always keep the edge of my palm on the bridge, I find it easier to switch between muting and non-muted notes that way (I'm playing a les paul if that helps). I'm not sure if it counts as anchoring or not, I used to anchor with my pinky but grew out of that long ago.

There are a few problems I see though!

1- My picking hand sometimes cannot keep up with my fretting hand
2- When playing, the top of my 2nd and 3rd fingers sometimes scrapes the strings causing soreness. It doesn't affect my playing, but after a while it starts to sting lol
3- Sometimes, usually with a fast palm-muted riff, I miss a note on accident (this could likely just mean I need to practice those particular riffs more)
4? - My sweeps quite often just don't happen

ANYWAY, could this be whats causing my "problems"? I say it like that because I think I'm just being overly-fussy. I've also been told I hold the pick strangely, but it's always felt comfortable that way (despite the aforementioned grazing of the tops of my fingers)

I have a bad habbit too my friend.
It seems while I play my picking hand will, almost spasm like, discard the pick and go into my pants to get my dick out and start wanking me off.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
I have a bad habbit too my friend.
It seems while I play my picking hand will, almost spasm like, discard the pick and go into my pants to get my dick out and start wanking me off.

That's not a bad habit, it's more of a typical example of unevolved humanity.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
That's not a bad habit, it's more of a typical example of unevolved humanity.
Read through all of Solid S/hits posts. Pretty funny if you're into that sort of humour

I'm suprised he hasn't been perma'd by now

Answer to TS's question is mostly practice