Love the neck on this guitar. Love the look (almost as much as my tele:P)
The EMG81 ****in sucks for my tastes. I like some metal, but i play versatile stuff. The fact that this thing distorts my clean channel...well, ya. doesnt work with my other guitars. Is there a reasonable way i can deal with this? or do i sell er?
I thought of trying to find a warm moderate output pickup for the bridge, and putting a coil split pot in. Perhaps a 250K to cool it down a little more. thoughts?
If its gonna cost a bunch, im thinking i may aswell sell. I've had a hankerin for a strat lately
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
haha, i would on this friggin thing...lots of highs and mids from the 81 in the maple.
but less heat is really what im looking for. theres no mod for an 81 to cool it down is there? haha
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

thinkin i might try the 18v mod...never looked into that, didnt know it could have helped.
i keep the pickup lowered right down right now in attempt for less signal. any reccomendations for height?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

ok, will raise er up tomorrow. any opinions on the 18v mod?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

It wouldn't hurt to try the 18v mod. I'm fairly certain it increases the headroom of the pickups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have the same problem It's a great guitar but the emg81 doesn't do job in the bridge for me. Even my drummer said that the pickup sounded weak compared to my other guitars. I'm going to replace it with a Dimarzio D Activator X.
If my post didn't make any sense it's because it wasn't suppose to.
Yes I know my username sucks and no I don't like Nirvana
Sounds like you got the right idea getting a beefy passive. Id definatly try the 18v mod since it will cost very little to do. You might need to replace the vol pot too as I heard EMGs use some weird values. I wonder if you can get a concentric pot with a log and linear pot so you can have a tone pot without needing to drill/route (no idea about rear cavity space in the RR24) to add one.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
well, i raised the action, changed p/up height. it helped, love the neck with higher action (zero buzz now, used to have some) gonna try the 18v mod. if it doesnt work for me, any pickup reccomendations? i'm a fan of the pearly gates plus, got it in my tele. seems like it could be bright though, especially in a neck through maple. anyways, something with that heat might be nice
EDIT; halikus, ive though about that before^ how hard would it be to wire that in? i got order off warmoth, i think its only like 20 bucks isnt it?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Last edited by wyldeshredder at Jul 28, 2009,
LOL!!! Your 81 distorts too? Am I the only person on Earth who has an 81 that doesn't distort at all, while sounding ****en brutal on the distortion channel? I even actually modded my tone pot to make a slight distortion because I was ****ing sick of never getting any distortion on the clean channel.

You're complaining so much about how it sounds. One pickup change isn't gonna make a world of difference. maybe it's your amp. Pretty sure JCM's don't have good cleans to begin with.

^^ Actives use 25K. 18v mod increases headroom a lot, while making it sound more dynamic and full on distortion and cleans. I have it at 18v, but still, never distorted on 9v either.

RR24 isn't maple. It's alder................ Only the neck is maple.... Maybe put the 85 in bridge and 81 in neck. A lot of people like it that way. It kinda cuts the highs a bit in bridge position and some lows in the neck.

Concentric pot is easy to wire. Wire it following a 1 volume 1 tone diagram and it will work.

Also, i find that hot passives distort much more easily than the 81. That being said, some hot passives do clean up nicely, but you won't get all the gain/nice distorted tone you get out of an active. Passives were always lacking to me.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jul 28, 2009,
i suggest switching out the pickups on the jackson to some passives maybe a jb/59
Agile 725 7 string w/Blackouts (new paint too)
Jackson Soloist Professional Standard
Jackson SLSMG With Livewire Metals
Fernandes Tremor 4 string
Peavey 5150 2x12 (new tolex and re-biased)
Peavey TNT 100 1x15
Line 6 Pod XT w/FBV
Misc Junk
you ever try rolling back the volume knob?

just an idea...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
you ever try rolling back the volume knob?

just an idea...

This ^^
That affects the distortion more than you may think.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
apak^ The RR24 is a maple neck through, so the pickup and bridge actually sit in maple, only the wings are alder. Perhaps they've changed it now, i bought it right when it came out though and that was the specs that were listed. It also has no neck pickup, and i would sell before routing a hole for a neck pickup. I guess the JCM2000 thing is subjective, but i mean, it sounds awesome with my tele. The 59 and PG+ sound great for cleans. I think thats the type of passives i;d go to if i changed. In the 7-12 range.
DBD+Criz^ ya, it helps cleans somewhat. But I find it still has that dullness to it.

Furthermore, will the 18v mod create unmatched volume even more? This thing pushes my clean channel harder than both the Tele and LP. If it starts to happen even more, it'll be a huge pain for live playing.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer