Hey everyone, I've been playing guitar for quite awhile now, and I've been increasingly interested in learning to scream, because it would: a) be badass. b) make me a more marketable/versatile musician. I want to go for something like a Matt Heafy style, and don't really care about death growls or anything. As of right now I don't want to pay for lessons for it at the moment, and I was wondering what the best resources for this are?
no idea, good Question though
My futile existance could be summed up in one word

Derp!!!
use your diaphragm to push air out and deepen your voice while doing it. it takes a bit of practice. you can also try different things to morph your screaming sound. but it's alot to explain and matt heafy is gay so is hardcore.
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
Quote by BlackList666
matt heafy is gay so is hardcore.

I didn't ask you to criticize my taste in music man, but I appreciate the tip.
Don't scream. What Heafy does is called a throat scream. Those can seriously damage your voice and throat, and you may need surgery to repair the damage. Check out the growling thread in the Metal forum. I know you don't want to learn those, but the concept is the same - use your diaphragm to get a louder, more guttural and brutal sound then normal singing.
Your scream will always just be how it comes out, there is no way to make it like Matt Heafy unless you personally asked him how he did it. Push air out of yur diaphragm
Certain people are able to have a unique style with there screaming and try to find your own if you wanna sound the best you can. if you try to hard to sound like Matt Heafy it wont be natural and plus the screams he does really Screw up your voice..all screaming does eventually but thats one kind you wanna stay away from if you wanna keep your voice longer.

Just try to do your own thing.
Screaming or not, your diaphragm is not for pushing air out. The intercostals do that.

The diaphragm is held in the downward position. You "maintain the diaphragm as if holding one's breath." This is your fuel. You don't want to be a dragster and burn it all in two seconds flat. You want to learn to control how much of that fuel you use so you have enough for what you want to do, but still have some left for what you need to do.

Projection comes from the combination of the intercostal muscles (the muscles around the rib cage, or between the ribs that squeeze air from the lungs) and the resonance you achieve in your chest and sinus cavities, and directing your voice off your hard palate.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
So his kind of thing will definitely f up my voice? I heard about the woman Melissa Cross who supposedly teaches well. Should I look into her dvd's?
Quote by hildesaw
b) make me a more marketable/versatile musician.

Now Im not gonna be one who criticizes your musical tastes, but how screaming make a more "marketable/versatile musician"? I dont think any label execs, producers sayin "good guitar playin man, but what really got me was that scream you can do!" If you really wanna be a more marketable/versatile musician I suggest you learn another instrument or take vocal lessons so can actually sing. but hey, to each their own.
I'm talking like so I can do more in a band, you know a little extra? But yeah I should take actual vocal lessons.
Zen of Screaming

google it
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Try learning to sing first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Zen of screaming... very good. Melissa carries her point across very nicely there. I was stunned to learn that she taught Brian Ferry, amongst others... with that on a resume, who needs more
Last edited by evolucian at Jul 28, 2009,
git gud and learn how to sing.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by hildesaw
I heard about the woman Melissa Cross who supposedly teaches well. Should I look into her dvd's?

Answer: I wouldn't. Link:

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=30

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.