If you don't have something to boost the signal (boost pedal/OD) then you could have a very weak signal by the time it gets to the amp.
Signal dropoff is aproblem, but I use a MXR microamp to fix it.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
So would putting a noise gate and boost at the end fix it up for the most part?
Noise gate won't help. You'd have to put the boost at the start of your chain.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Noise gate won't help. You'd have to put the boost at the start of your chain.

OK thanks, is there anything I COULD do about the noise?
Quote by papersun87
Not to mention losing focus of your guitar playing and focusing more on tweaking your effects and spending a buttload of money.

I see more of that with people who are more into just guitar > amp setups, they sit there twiddling with knobs and playing an E chord every 5 minutes. People with lots of pedals tend to actually play whilst they're tweaking instead of sitting there fisting themselves over the slight hump in the 5-7k frequency range they've just identified.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by papersun87
Not to mention losing focus of your guitar playing and focusing more on tweaking your effects and spending a buttload of money.

totally depends on the player.
Quote by guitarted

totally depends on the player.

Agreed, having a wide variety of pedals can really help one to focus less on their straight ahead tone and more on utilizing a variety of sounds which would otherwise be unable.

I play for hours a day, and I use lots of pedals. Yet, every time I play I come up with some new fun sound that I use in the future.