How much can you save when haggling for an amplifier? Or perhaps other types of gear if you like. Guitars, pedals and whatnot. How good do you consider 5% for example?
I got 10% on my Les Paul Vintage Mahogany, down to $619 at Guitar Center, I also got a case and strap thrown in free.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
It just depends there are guys on craigslist that are in a bind for cash, i talked a guy down from 350$ to 120$ for a BC Rich warbeast only because he had bills to pay, all i wanted were the EMGs it had.
haha Got a pair of emgs (81/60) and a guitar for 120$ put ibanez pickups in it and sold it for 200$. hahahaha
all depends man. hah
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
It just depends there are guys on craigslist that are in a bind for cash, i talked a guy down from 350$ to 120$ for a BC Rich warbeast only because he had bills to pay, all i wanted were the EMGs it had.
haha Got a pair of emgs (81/60) and a guitar for 120$ put ibanez pickups in it and sold it for 200$. hahahaha
all depends man. hah

It would be funny for the poor guy to find out
What sucks for me though is that I really would like to get a peavey vypyr amp(cause they look great for practice and exploring) but there aren't any dealers for these amps in Malta. So my other choice is getting one off the internet meaning it could break down on it's way here or it could already be broken :S.

To make this small rant on topic...I would love to haggle to buy my new amp?
Last edited by Virtuoso883 at Jul 28, 2009,
Wave Music in Floriana sells Peavey amps, go and talk to Ben or James
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Depends on the shop. Figure out their profit margin and that's what you can haggle off if they haven't been able to sell it for a while.
WTLTL 2011
If you get them from Thomann in Germany they are cheaper than the prices in Malta, even after the shipping.

Give them a try.

1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
as a general rule I think new gear is marked up 30%... so chances are you aren't going to get them down too much on that... but this is what I do:

figure out what I want to buy... research and find the best price in town... get cash - just enough to cover the item w/o tax...

tell em: "I need this amp plus a cable to plug it in and I've only got x dollars" (while you pull out the cash and count it in front of them)... or "I need this pedal and the cables to plug it all together" - cables are always a 'gimme' so ALWAYS get some, plus get the tax off which will likely be 5-10%. If it was already the best deal, and you get em down another 5-10% - u r doing pretty good.

or, make friends w someone by continuing to buy from them and showing that you are willing to come to them only - but I'm not talking strings and picks... you'd better be spending $200+ 1x a week or they could care less.

also, if you are going to spend $1k on several items - ask them... what kind of deal can you swing for this, this, this and that.

if it's used gear... it's worth 50% of what it sold for new... (assuming it's still sold new).
if you can get it below that - you've done well.

I got 5 digitech pedals (only wanted the eric clapton one) for $100 - guy wasn't happy to do it - and that's how you know you got a good deal. sold 4 for approx $40 each. so basically, I got an eric clapton pedal and got paid $60... don't see myself outdoing that one any time soon.