So anyway, I was at Warptour which was good( Just more scremo bands then usual), Anyway, started to notice that everyone I was watching was pretty much playing either (Seriously no exaggeration) a Mexican Tele, Squier Strat/Tele, Epiphone LP/LP Studios and Gibson Les Paul Studios. Thats literally all I saw. Oh and some bassist was playing one of the Ibanez IRs or whatever they're called and it was bone stalk.

So my question is, are these guitars better then people think they are? I mean people playing Squiers and Les Paul studios on Warped Tour, they must be alright and usuable right? I asked some of the guys and other then a few of them having pickup changes(some people kept the squier stock pickups) they were pretty much all stock.

Whats the deal?
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
You can get good examples of any of those guitars, but they probably have sentimental value to the guitarists. Also, playing cheaper guitars is just more suited to the punk ethic (from which a lot of that music stemmed).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
They think they're cool . Tons of no-name/not very famous/rich bands go to warped tour I think. They use whatever is cheap or what they can get their hands on. And nobody knows whether they're using a Fender SG or a Gibson Stratocaster anyways, and nobody can hear the difference between the single pickup and the two pickups next to each other, and most of all, nobody cares about what the people are using.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I wish people would give Gibson LP Studio's a chance. They really are great guitars!
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
I wish people would give Gibson LP Studio's a chance. They really are great guitars!

+1

I don't like the stock pickups, but I very much enjoyed mine... before wife #2 took it in a divorce (spiteful imp)
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar

Well, I don't like them because I think they're ugly. An LP without a binding fails damned hard. It makes soooo much of a difference. Plus, you can do so much better for the dough. They're so expensive now, it's ridiculous. Pickups suck. Some Epiphones, if you pick them out well, are the about same quality but look better.

They sound good, but look totally bad.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Most of the statements here are very true.

I mean, honestly.

Who the hell gives half a **** who's playing what? If you play a distorted guitar loud enough, they all sound basically the same.

I'd rather play a guitar that looks really pretty. And you'd see me on Warped Tour with ESP's, Jackson's and Ibanez guitars.

Oh and probably my dean. Which sounds pretty close to most Epi's, with a crazy amount of gain and treble.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by apak
Well, I don't like them because I think they're ugly. An LP without a binding fails damned hard. It makes soooo much of a difference. Plus, you can do so much better for the dough. They're so expensive now, it's ridiculous. Pickups suck. Some Epiphones, if you pick them out well, are the about same quality but look better.

They sound good, but look totally bad.

The binding is nice to have, but to me it sounds just as good as the LP Classic I test drove. Also, Gibson Les Paul Custom's run the same stock pup's as the Studio. Now here's the thing. People say the Custom sounds better. To me, I don't think so. I think it's just looks that appeal to them that make them think the guitar sounds better. Of course every guitar sounds different from each other, but that doesn't mean that can sound pretty damn close to each other aswell. I'll post a link to a picture of my Studio I "overhauled" you could say, and I think it looks pretttty damn sexy. Not sure if the link to my thread will piss people off, but im sorry just making my comment.

Here's the link : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164976

EDIT: I got my LP on sale new for $849, which I think is pretty good.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by pepsi1187
the question is who cares rly?

Well I posted this because I'm on the forum everyday and theres always at least 4-5 posts everyday where people are flaming on Squiers, Epi's and LP Studios. Just wanted to show that Lower end stuff is still good
Quote by JAustinMunn

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Just because a couple of predominately unknown acts on Warped Tour used them does not make them good.
Aidan, that isn't very relevant to the thread.

But to everyone else, Squiers and Epi's will sound like Fenders and Gibsons live with a HUGE EQ soundboard and a bunch of speakers, pedals and especially when they are loud.
ya but feel/quality wise. Everyone says that the hardware is horrible, never stays in tune necks feel like crap blah blah blah. I'm not just talking about the sound.
Quote by JAustinMunn

Quote by jpnyc
Quote by utmbarto
ya but feel/quality wise. Everyone says that the hardware is horrible, never stays in tune necks feel like crap blah blah blah. I'm not just talking about the sound.

squire and epiphone stock hardware sucks.. but most people just take a cheap guitar and add swap quality hardware too it

but me personally, i dont like squires, comparing them fenders id take a fender anyday. feel wise... les pauls are too expensive for me tho. i have a cheap epiphone i modded and im fine with it. i do gigs with a stock mexican tele... i wouldnt change nothing about it. i have a squire tele and it fell apart after a couple months.

sound wise a squire tele compared to a tele is minimal. i cant tell a difference rly. ive tried. but squires are typically smaller, and the hardware is weak. ive had less trouble with my fender than i had with my squire the first year ive owned it.
"Good" is subjective. What one person likes another might hate. Thats the real lesson here.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Quote by Vikingx
+1

I don't like the stock pickups, but I very much enjoyed mine... before wife #2 took it in a divorce (spiteful imp)

I am very sorry... when Michael Schenker divorced his wife, she took ALL of his guitars from his rockstar-sized collection... at least you weren't him.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by ljohn
The sound is down to the player in the end.

A lot of people rely on gear too much.

It's nice to have a nice rig though. But not necessary.

Yup. The only people that really care about tone is guitar players. I mean, do you remember when you first got your first crappy guitar and crappy amp, and you thought it sounded amazing?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Mo Jiggity
I am very sorry... when Michael Schenker divorced his wife, she took ALL of his guitars from his rockstar-sized collection... at least you weren't him.

in divorces the person that plays guitar should always get the guitars imo
they buy cheaper guitars so they can get better amps. then if necessary do a pickup swap. or just too poor...
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by Vikingx
+1

Dude really? How did you not murder her?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Vikingx
+1

i am sorry but is your name by any chance alan harper
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
to me a better guitar will sound better, not as much because of the wood or pickups but because it will have better natural intonation and better at staying in tune
Black Tide uses ESP and Jackson. Bryan from Escape the Fate uses an Ibanez S5470.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by pepsi1187
squire and epiphone stock hardware sucks.. but most people just take a cheap guitar and add swap quality hardware too it

Epiphone's TOM bridges rule, and I prefer them over Gibson's.
Quote by Lil Macker
Yup. The only people that really care about tone is guitar players. I mean, do you remember when you first got your first crappy guitar and crappy amp, and you thought it sounded amazing?

Yup. And I also know that the vast majority of people will drop their jaws if you pull out three chords on an acoustic and sing rather than play a 436 note run in B harmonic minor in a minute.
Quote by ljohn
Yup. And I also know that the vast majority of people will drop their jaws if you pull out three chords on an acoustic and sing rather than play a 436 note run in B harmonic minor in a minute.

Not true at all unless you are a really good singer
most people are indifferent to both those things
Did Flipper play at the Warped tour? I was thinking of going, but seeing the headliners were Neversaynever, whos singer looks like a fairy playing a ukelele(haha i spelled that wrong) I said **** it.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Shayne777
i am sorry but is your name by any chance alan harper

I chuckled.

But yeah, when I read the OP I raged . Why the HELL should the non-guitar player get the guitar? All that person's going to do is sell it, chances are for either very little or for a fortune.
I hate how everyone bunches up Squiers into one crappy guitar.

What about the Classic Vibe, heck, even the 80's Squiers that were said to be even better than the guitars at the time (granted, this was only the higher-end models)?
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Vikingx
+1

le sigh, you never know what you have 'till its gone =D
Quote by perfectchaos23
in divorces the person that plays guitar should always get the guitars imo

You're attempting to apply logic to divorce proceedings, which is impossible. It's pretty much a judge just giving the women all the men's **** because they don't wanna hear the bitch complain.

I know several guys who used to own several business but had to liquidate everything because of a divorce settlement when the stupid wife did nothing but spend their money.
Quote by kpatterson14206
You're attempting to apply logic to divorce proceedings, which is impossible. It's pretty much a judge just giving the women all the men's **** because they don't wanna hear the bitch complain.

I know several guys who used to own several business but had to liquidate everything because of a divorce settlement when the stupid wife did nothing but spend their money.

wow even if im not rich when i get married im signing a prenumpt sorry if i didn't spell that right
If you replace the pickups and hardware in a squier than you have a pretty good, gig-worthy guitar. Also the bands on the Warped tour are usually underground Hardcore/Metalcore bands who don't have a boatload of cash and use moderately priced gear (WHich I think is awesome)