Just wondering... If I don't have the money to buy a bass would it be possible for me just to use an electric guitar and buy bass strings then string a string in every other tuner? Please no flaming or anything. Its a serious question.
It's not really probable, I would never do it. You would have to get a different nut, probably a different bridge, larger tuning machines...etc.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
no, the strings wouldnt fit in the nut. you could possibly do these:
- get a cheap, 100-200 dollar bass
- get an octave generator/whammy pedal for your guitar
- play bass notes with your guitar (how they used to do it back in the day, before elec basses)
- work around having a bass, my band does. granted, i own a whammy, i dont use it for bass playing.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Alright thanks. I don't have any money whatsoever, so buying a bass is probably not gonna happen for a while.
Quote by Cdynckl
Alright thanks. I don't have any money whatsoever, so buying a bass is probably not gonna happen for a while.

look on ebay for a cheap bass. If you don't have ANY money, you can't buy bassstrings either
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The modifications that you would have to do to the guitar alone would cost more than a cheap bass:

1. You would need a bass nut, the strings wouldn't fit in it.
2. The bridge holes would be to small
3. You would probably need to replace the tuners
4. You would need to replace the neck, bass necks are longer than guitar necks, so with a guitar neck your frets would be off

In a nut shell, you would basically have to replace the neck and almost all of the hardware. The only thing that would be able to salvage would be the body and electronics.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Quote by Neo Evil11
look on ebay for a cheap bass. If you don't have ANY money, you can't buy bassstrings either

Lol touche. My mommy would buy me strings . But yea I'll need to probably sell the old electric. How much would a cheap bass cost me? And how much could I sell a crappy Lyon Washburn guitar for?
Quote by Cdynckl
Lol touche. My mommy would buy me strings . But yea I'll need to probably sell the old electric. How much would a cheap bass cost me? And how much could I sell a crappy Lyon Washburn guitar for?

How old are you?
Quote by Lollage123
How old are you?

Lol I'm 16. I normally don't refer to my mother as mommy. I was doing it for comical effect. I don't have a job even though I've applied at 7 stores in my town.
Quote by Lollage123
How old are you?

This shouldnt make a difference anyway.

You can pick up bass's for 50 currencies and even though in just about every case they will be ****, theyll do the job to get started with.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If buying a bass isn't an option, just crank the low on your guitar amp and play it as you would with a bass.

It's practically pointless, but at least you'll get a feel for when you eventually get a bass.

PS, I genuinely did this when I first started a band.
Alright thanks for all the input. Jw, is it easier to pick a bass because the strings are farther apart? (Don't give me crap for saying you don't pick a bass. Joe Principe, my favorite bassist does.)
Quote by Cdynckl
Alright thanks for all the input. Jw, is it easier to pick a bass because the strings are farther apart? (Don't give me crap for saying you don't pick a bass. Joe Principe, my favorite bassist does.)

If you already play guitar picking a bass shouldnt be that hard. Many amazing bass players use picks, ignore anyone who says bass players should never use a pick.
100-200$ bass is not cheap one -.-'' i bought my Ural 1975, in decent condition. for 15$...
P.S. you can count this as NBD topic
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Last edited by C0_0kie at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by TK1

- play bass notes with your guitar (how they used to do it back in the day, before elec basses)

So before the electric bass was invented, there was no bass!

Im pretty sure they used double basses which were developed in the 15th century

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Casketcreep
What exactly are these 'Bass notes' you speak of?

Probably like the old Blues players who would play a melody with their fingers and make a simple bassline on the low strings using their thumb. The low notes were "bass notes."

Go on craigslist and make an add that you want to trade your guitar for a bass and a little extra money. Or find a pawn shop.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by TK1
no, the strings wouldnt fit in the nut. you could possibly do these:
- get a cheap, 100-200 dollar bass
- get an octave generator/whammy pedal for your guitar
- work around having a bass, my band does. granted, i own a whammy, i dont use it for bass playing.

Before Electric basses they used upright basses or pianos to play in the bass range.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
You can use a computer program to get lower notes, although it's not as fun as playing an actual bass...
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Correct me if Im wrong but I thought the guys from Presidents of the United States did that though they may have made some major mods.