So, windows is getting really old really fast, and it runs too slow. I've heard that Linux runs much faster and is more stable so i figured eh for schnitzengiggle i could try out linux.

so what would i need to do to run linux on my computer?
I know i have to backup any files i want to keep on an external drive, and i have one but im not sure how to go about actually switching over operating systems.
You don't need anything to run linux really, unless your computer is incredibly outdated.
I've switched over to Linux several times, it works great and the boot time is terrific, but I always switch back to Windows -- mainly for recording and TabIt.
Just do a Google search and download the latest version of Ubuntu, burn onto a disc, put it in your computer and go from there.
If you didn't partition your drive for Windows, then you'll have to back up any files that you want to keep. Other than that it's very straight forward. I'd recommend Ubuntu for starts though. I switched a couple weeks ago and now I only use Windows to game.
Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call life; though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
Quote by Ajax413
If you didn't partition your drive for Windows, then you'll have to back up any files that you want to keep. Other than that it's very straight forward. I'd recommend Ubuntu for starts though. I switched a couple weeks ago and now I only use Windows to game.

cool man, ill backup my files now, but i was wondering how much faster you think linux really is compared to windows?
Quote by Ghanja_Fog
cool man, ill backup my files now, but i was wondering how much faster you think linux really is compared to windows?

It boots in no time compared to Windows. It also runs a lot smoother and efficiently, programs start up instantly and there's hardly ever down time. It was really like night and day to me.
Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call life; though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
I'm using Ubuntu now. Boot time is crazy fast VS Xp, average tooling around is slightly faster. You should back up all your files, and you need at least 2 new partitions on your HDD (if you don't have a partition manager, go get one).
I love Ubuntu. I'm using Jaunty Jackalope or 9.4 on my laptop. It runs great. Once you get used to Linux you'll never look back. And everything is free because Linus is all freeware. I'll never go back to windows again.
I recommend trying Linux on a Live CD first so that you get a feel for Linux and don't regret switching over. Personally, I'd stick with Windows, but that's just me. I've been dual-booting Fedora since Fedora 6, and that's been about three years, probably. I don't use Linux much at all, simply because Windows is much more intuitive and user-friendly. Not that I can't use Linux- I took a semester long Linux course and wrote probably ten papers and tutorials on using it. I know what I'm doing. I just prefer the ease of use of Windows, and thankfully, my computer is fast enough to use Windows well.

Don't blame Windows for your computer's performance- It's your computer's issue.
Also, if you switch to the latest version of Ubuntu that's out now, 9.4, beware the Intel bug. If your computer runs Intel, your video quality will suck and everything will be slow and glitchy. It's just a glitch, something that was overlooked when it was developed. There are simple things you can do to fix it, just don't freak out and think Linux automatically sucks if that happens.
I can help you out with Linux stuff if you want, just IM me.