Purely to have one with a whammy/Floyd Rose?

I have an Epiphone Les Paul (which I might be selling, I have no use for it ever since I bought my Ibanez) and an Ibanez ART300. Thing about them both is no whammy/Floyd Rose on either. And I'd like one with one...

So I was looking into this. Just a cheap guitar (comes to $188 after shipping) to kinda mess around with.. I've never had a guitar with a whammy/FR, is it even worth to buy even a cheap guitar for?

I've messed around with my friends Sammick with a FR and it was pretty fun, but is it the kind of thing that gets old quick?
Ok, seriously like 75% of the people who say that don't even know why it's a bad amp, they are just jumping on the bandwagon. The only bad thing I've found about this amp is that it breaks up around 5-6, but I only use it for practise (around 2-4), so that issue is non existent. My amp is perfect for what I use it for, it gives me nice tone, and that's all I care about. I don't care if anyone thinks it sounds bad, I think it sounds good, you just need to work at it. I'm not buying a new amp.
i own a hardtail rhoads, and am purchasing a rhoads build kit just for a floyd. same shape, both will have the same paint job, this is PURELY just to have a guitar with a floyd. Hell, if I can get it cheap enough, i might just buy the same humbucker for this build kit (lace sensors)
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
depends.. Do you need a guitar with a floyd rose.. for example if you play bands that don't use floyd's.. i don't see the point.. but if you play bands like avenged sevenfold,atreyu and stuff like that... they use floyd roses so your better off to have one.. that is what i based my buy on.. i got a schecter damien 6 FR.. luv it..

What kind of music do you play
And if you really want one tell us your budget.. mauybe we can reccomend you a better one for your style of music...

I personally like it.. I play avenged sevenfold and stuff like that and they use the whammy bar alot so i sorta wanted one.. now i use that guitar for playing drop D and standard.. then i got another guitar fitted with .11 gauge strings to play my lower tunings
there's a lot you could get with that $188. i don't think getting a FR just for the heck of it is money well spent. you may want one, but just getting a guitar doesn't seem like a wise thing to do.

maybe it's just me.

getting a new amp doesn't really solve anyone's problem... does it?
I'm just another musician waiting to be famous.

follow my twitter here
Please! listen to my music here
it depends. do you see yourself using it in the future? do you find that you need it in certain things you play? if not than you probably dont need one.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Dog--
Ok, seriously like 75% of the people who say that don't even know why it's a bad amp, they are just jumping on the bandwagon. The only bad thing I've found about this amp is that it breaks up around 5-6, but I only use it for practise (around 2-4), so that issue is non existent. My amp is perfect for what I use it for, it gives me nice tone, and that's all I care about. I don't care if anyone thinks it sounds bad, I think it sounds good, you just need to work at it. I'm not buying a new amp.

Im just saying that a new amp would help your overall sound more than a guitar.
Well I've always had trouble playing some of Rush's solo's, I've been getting into Steve Vai lately, and I play alot of Prog metal/rock. Like I said, I don't know if I'd like it or not, as I've never used one.

Quote by dfinch10

Dude I got the sound I want, I'm not getting a new guitar for the sound, if you read the very first post...
Quote by dfinch10

he never mentioned any problems with his sound
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
are MG's even that bad?
ive just seen the mdissed so much on here, i havent tried them. Sure theyrr SS but do they really need all this beatdown? Or maybe the do sound like C R A P
"Could I have egg, sausage, chips and beans, and a tea." - Nick Mason
^They aren't people just don't know what they are talking about.. Obviously there are better amps, but in no way are these ones crap. They are very good for the price.
I'm buying a new guitar just to have one with a FR. It's one thing I don't have, and every once in a while I get in a Vai/Becker phase. But I'm leaning more towards either another Carvin, or something like a Caparison.
Everyone here who is dissing his MG needs to shutup. He likes the way it sounds (which is good enough) and he was asking about a guitar NOT an amp so drop it.

Anyways, on topic, before you just go and buy a guitar with a trem see if know someone who has one and just kind of play around with it for awhile. Hell, see if you know someone whos got a squier. You'll learn alot about them just by using them and setting them up and such. Staying in tune on lower end ones is a bitch and double locking trems are a bit...er, complicated. You could decide that they are not even worth the hassle, which many people do decide. They are alot of work, but not so bad if you know what your doing.

In my opinion: if you decide you do want a tremolo, dont even bother with getting one that isn't double locking. You can find guitars with LFRs or Edge trems for cheap, even cheaper if you buy a used one you just want to mess around on. Check ebay.

FRs are fun and you can do alot with them, but like anything else try one before you buy one.

EDIT: Just noticed your link. You cant hardly go wrong for $140, thats nothing, even if you don't like it. I still recommend you try them out first tho.
Last edited by football4224 at Jul 28, 2009,
^The one in my link is Single Locking.. What is the difference? Like what is the whole locking thing about?
The locking thing keeps your strings in near perfect tuning stability. A double-locking setup boasts the most stable tuning. Personally I would never buy a FR-equipped guitar for $188 simply because the quality of it is going to be completely bad. A NEW quality floyd rose (we're talking only the bridge here) can run you $200 easy.

In short, don't bother unless you get something with quality.
Q: Should I get a guitar with a tremolo
A: Buy a better amp

buy if you really need a guitar with it
Oh i didn't notice that, it is single locking.

Ok, in a double locking trem system there are two devices that will "lock" the string at each end of the guitar. There is a device called a locking nut (between the headstock and first fret) that clamps the string down so it cannot loosen from that end. There is also some kind of device (called string locks on a FR) at the bridge itself that locks the other end of the string in place at the bridge, so it cannot loosen from that end.

When you have the string locked in place at both of its ends, you have created a system where the string cannot go out of tune. This is because it is held tight at each end and cannot loosen, therefore going out of tune. This is why a OFR will stay in tune through crazy divebombing and squealing and such.

That guitar is single locking, and I assume locks at what appears to be a locking nut.
Therefore it can't loosen from the locking nut, but can loosen from the other end of the string, and therefore it can go out of tune.

Theres my halfassed attempt at explaining it, sorry if it doesn't make sense, it is a bit late .

Oh and BTW,

OFR = Original Floyd Rose
LFR = Licensed Floyd Rose

and OFR > LFR ...always
I don't think it's worth it looking at your other gear. You have 3 low-mid range guitars and a bass. You should get some nicer stuff. But on the FR topic. Most of the time, you see people who mainly play the FR guitar, and use the fixed bridge one to mess around with for different tunings. You want to spend more money on the FR guitar because a good double locking trem costs around $200. A bad trem will be more of a hassle than it's worth.
Quote by Dog--

No.

I respected your post until I read that.

If you think it sounds fine, thats your opinion, tone is subjective. That dosen't we need to work on it. People have their own tones they like.

Back on topic, I asked a similar question about a month ago with the same or similiar guitar, and everyone said they really are garbage and you need to upgrade the hardware alot.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
No.

I respected your post until I read that.

If you think it sounds fine, thats your opinion, tone is subjective. That dosen't we need to work on it. People have their own tones they like.

I meant 'you' in general, like it can get a good tone, it takes a little longer to fine tune than a 'good' amp does.
Uhm, OFR is definitely not always better than LFR... Ever heard of Ibanez?

Also, the one in your link is a DOUBLE locking trem.

Floyd roses are ALWAYS double locking.
Quote by Zamorak
Uhm, OFR is definitely not always better than LFR... Ever heard of Ibanez?

Also, the one in your link is a DOUBLE locking trem.

Floyd roses are ALWAYS double locking.

Ever heard of a Speedloader? They are single locking. So is the one TS linked to.
Kramer Vanguard w/ floyd. Very cheap guitar and very good.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by littlephil
Ever heard of a Speedloader? They are single locking. So is the one TS linked to.

Ya this and some old trems where you insert the string through the fine tuners and the ball end would hold it in place.

Anyway ts it's $180 something dollars that's the worst you are going to lose on it. If that's about a a days wage then sure splurge yourself but if it's half a years wage then no just no. Though I really don't use mine alot but I do prefer them on my guitars.
For what its worth, I have played my Yamaha with single locking trem for 25 years and it keeps tune as well as the FR on my Cort. Its far, far easier to re-string, too.
I'm in the same situation, but reversed. Both my six string solids have floating bridge trems and I'm getting serious GAS for a hardtail, just to play old style rock and blues on. My answer is yes, I will get the gap in my armoury sorted, so I see no reason not to have another guitar. But trading up is important and I'd suggest the value of the Epi be added to the budget and get at least a mid-range guitar with a decent LFR. That SX might be fun for a few days but upgrading the trem from an oddball single to a FR design would cost more than its worth.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x