How do I help him?
He is my best friend.
I can assure everyone that no one has been through the sort of stuff we have.
Not good nor bad, just unique.

Im working on helping him. I'm visiting him in 3 days.

I'm not really asking how to help, just if anyone has been through stuff like this, what would you want to here.
Just tonight things started getting better.

Its gotten to the point where he cant even feel good unless hes buzzed.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

Take his booze away. Confront him.

Intervention.

EDIT: APPARENTLY, I AM A MORON, DO NOT LISTEN TO ME, CONTAGEN AND MAKIK HAVE MUCH BETTER SUGGESTIONS
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by crazy8rgood
Take his booze away. Confront him.

Intervention.

Do NOT do this.

He'll go through withdrawal. Start slower with the taking the drinks away thing.

If he's truly addicted to alcohol, as in a physical addiction, he'll be very sick if you have him stop drinking. Have him speak with somebody from Alcoholics Anonymous. Unfortunatly I don't have the number.
Last edited by The Contagen at Jul 28, 2009,
Bring him a gift of some sort.

Like some kind of champagne or something.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by crazy8rgood
Take his booze away. Confront him. Get your nuts busted.

Intervention.

Fixed.

Make him go to the AA.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Im in Texas, he's in North Carolina where I'm going to see him in a couple days.

We lived together on Okinawa, out parents were marines.

We moved different places. I watched him grow up, then just deteriorate in the last few months.
I think we're getting better.
He's acknowledged it, and he wants to stop.
We just haven't gotten there yet.

If I took it away it would do NO good.

just tell him that life is better than that. Really he has to do everything, just let him know your there and want him to get better.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Stare deep into his eyes and tell him you will always love him.

and IiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiii will always love yoouuuuuuuhouhouuuuhaaaaaa....
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by FlyingPirahna
I'd say beat him until he associates physical pain with alcohol.

Ok, I need:
-a cinema
-a reel of the movie "Animal House"
-eye hooks
-artificial teardrops
-a straightjacket
-a helmet
-lots of duck tape
-drugs in industrial quantity

Let the AA's Ludovico technique begin.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Jul 28, 2009,
Placebo the alcohol. There is a study done that when you think you will get drunk and nothing feels wrong, you'll do the same thing as if it were alcohol ie "get drunk". Do that in a long night and show him how the alcohol was fake and show how he doesn't need it. There are (as far as I know) virgin drinks that can't be distinguished from the real thing.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
EDIT: ^ that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. that will NOT work.

as a person who used to drink too much, I can assure you that simply taking away the alcohol will not solve anything. people who drink too much usually have deeper lying psychological issues, you need to get him to a doctor. this is something that needs to be handeled by professionals, and he needs to want to do it.

also, are you sure he's an alcoholic, or does he just drink alot?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by texico11
What's the technical difference?

there's a biiiiig ass difference between having a real alcohol problem and drinking alot.

if you're not sure, tell him you're worried he might be have an alcohol problem and drag his ass to a doctor's
as a guy who has been through that, and cocain, seriously heart to heart friend talks work best, go damnit i love my best friendd
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Quote by CoreysMonster
EDIT: ^ that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. that will NOT work.

as a person who used to drink too much, I can assure you that simply taking away the alcohol will not solve anything. people who drink too much usually have deeper lying psychological issues, you need to get him to a doctor. this is something that needs to be handeled by professionals, and he needs to want to do it.

also, are you sure he's an alcoholic, or does he just drink alot?

No, its an addiction.
He won't drink for two weeks and just want to die so then he just gets wasted and falls back into the cycle of always being drunk.
And its not just at parties and stuff too; just whenever.

And thanks everyone. It means a lot.

It took a friend from school dying and him being told he had a year to live if he didnt stop (at 18) to get my friend to stop drinking.

Even then it wasn't easy.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by Doctor Wu
No, its an addiction.
He won't drink for two weeks and just want to die so then he just gets wasted and falls back into the cycle of always being drunk.
And its not just at parties and stuff too; just whenever.

And thanks everyone. It means a lot.

get his ass to a doctor, but talk to him about it first. people in those kind of situations need all the help they can get from family and friends. be there for him when he needs you, and make sure his family is, too. beating an addiction is hell.
Quote by Doctor Wu
How do I help him?
He is my best friend.
I can assure everyone that no one has been through the sort of stuff we have.
Not good nor bad, just unique.

Im working on helping him. I'm visiting him in 3 days.

I'm not really asking how to help, just if anyone has been through stuff like this, what would you want to here.
Just tonight things started getting better.

Its gotten to the point where he cant even feel good unless hes buzzed.

give him the gift of the cannabis plant.

"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction." -

-- Bob marley
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Jul 28, 2009,
AA meetings aren't hard to find, there is usually one going on every few hours, and multiple ones nearby where you are. Just check the internet for a listing near you, it shouldn't be hard to find one and a time schedule for certain meetings.

I do need to point something out, though. If your friend does go to AA, there's a really good chance he's going to consider it a cult at first. And you may have to remind him to call the numbers of other Alcoholics that are in the program rather than calling you. And you also have to keep in mind that if you drink, there's a a possibility that he won't hang around you much, as people in AA are supposed to cut off ties with drinking buddies for awhile.

Also, interesting fact: One of my founders of AA got some of the ideas from a Ouija board.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
AA meetings aren't hard to find, there is usually one going on every few hours, and multiple ones nearby where you are. Just check the internet for a listing near you, it shouldn't be hard to find one and a time schedule for certain meetings.

I do need to point something out, though. If your friend does go to AA, there's a really good chance he's going to consider it a cult at first. And you may have to remind him to call the numbers of other Alcoholics that are in the program rather than calling you. And you also have to keep in mind that if you drink, there's a a possibility that he won't hang around you much, as people in AA are supposed to cut off ties with drinking buddies for awhile.

Also, interesting fact: One of my founders of AA got some of the ideas from a Ouija board.

I dont know much about AA, but the fact that it's a religious thing really turns me off. to me it seems to be like they fill the void in your life that causes you to drink with religion, which IMO is kinda like substituting one drug for another.
Alcohol withdrawal is very dangerous (you can die) and unpleasant (much much worse than heroin withdrawal). Really you should get him professional help, preferably someone better than the AA.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by texico11
What's the technical difference?

An addiction is a physical dependency, someone who is addicted will get withdrawal symptoms.

And the whole cut back thing is much, much better than cold turkey.

Also AA is not for everyone and some people can get by without ever seeking professional help, or help at all. It's not a good idea to assert that 'this will help you'. However, if the guy likes it, then yeah that's the way forward for him.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I dont know much about AA, but the fact that it's a religious thing really turns me off. to me it seems to be like they fill the void in your life that causes you to drink with religion, which IMO is kinda like substituting one drug for another.

It's not a religious thing. A lot of people just tend to use God as their higher power. It doesn't have to be God. For example, for you or I, it could be our love for cartoons or music. Make sense? Essentially the way it works is your addiction is your higher power. You replace that one with another one that is more positive. It just happens to be God for a lot of people, but that's not set in stone.

Also, I think you and I need to start attending sexaholics anonymous meetings to meet women.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
It's not a religious thing. A lot of people just tend to use God as their higher power. It doesn't have to be God. For example, for you or I, it could be our love for cartoons or music. Make sense? Essentially the way it works is your addiction is your higher power. You replace that one with another one that is more positive. It just happens to be God for a lot of people, but that's not set in stone.

Also, I think you and I need to start attending sexaholics anonymous meetings to meet women.

Some are explicitly religious, and it's pretty obvious on what they mean by 'higher power' to those who aren't explicit.

Although there was an interesting case made against those who believe that God is the key to curing alcoholism; some guy went to AA meetings failed and all that and in the end it was his attained obsession with Doctor Who and collecting collectibles which enabled him to distract himself so he could overcome his problems.
Quote by Craigo
Some are explicitly religious, and it's pretty obvious on what they mean by 'higher power' to those who aren't explicit.

Although there was an interesting case made against those who believe that God is the key to curing alcoholism; some guy went to AA meetings failed and all that and in the end it was his attained obsession with Doctor Who and collecting collectibles which enabled him to distract himself so he could overcome his problems.

That's what it's meant to do. The Doctor Who collectibles would be his higher power. That's really all it means, but people get confused about it. Maybe the NA folks are more clear about it, I don't know many people in AA, but it's supposed to be very similar to NA. But there was never any confusion on my part about what higher power means when I read the AA or NA books. They usually have examples in them, of higher powers that don't mean just God.

The pledges even mention not being a religious organization.
Quote by vintage x metal

Replace the alcohol with Heroin. He won't be addicted to alcohol anymore.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by Jack Off Jill
That's what it's meant to do. The Doctor Who collectibles would be his higher power. That's really all it means, but people get confused about it. Maybe the NA folks are more clear about it, I don't know many people in AA, but it's supposed to be very similar to NA. But there was never any confusion on my part about what higher power means when I read the AA or NA books. They usually have examples in them, of higher powers that don't mean just God.

The pledges even mention not being a religious organization.

Regardless, there are explicit religious organisations who ask people to enter into God. They are explicitly Christian some of them. And I just dropped in the Doctor Who thing because it was a nice story and a nice demonstration on why it shouldn't have to be God as an offtopic note.
Quote by Craigo
Regardless, there are explicit religious organisations who ask people to enter into God. They are explicitly Christian some of them. And I just dropped in the Doctor Who thing because it was a nice story and a nice demonstration on why it shouldn't have to be God as an offtopic note.

Yes, but we were talking about AA.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by DirtyMakik
Fixed.

Make him go to the AA.

this.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Kick him in the balls and delete his liver.

Or go to AA.

Quote by Jack Off Jill

nah, cant show my face in those meetings.

I'm responsible for too many sexaholics
What do you think is the soul reason he drinks?

f you can somehow figure that out you might be able to adress the real problem.

Talk to him, face him head on. You never know how he might react, if it's really bad he might become really mad or just happy that someone cares.

I had a friend who was an alcoholic and I got in fights with him and turned my back on him. And he just drank and drank. It became better but it's still bad for him and I never hade the courage to talk with him about it and it can turn out bad.
Last edited by Strati at Jul 28, 2009,
you should buy a 12 pack and sit down with him and talk it out.
trying to piece his 2 and 2 together