I got a good deal on these and so far am enjoying playing on them. The problem is though, it is loud as hell, esepcially for bedroom playing. I'm not entirely blown away by the tone at low volumes and was wondering what kind of options I have to make this setup realize its full potenial.

Thanks if you can help
get a power attenuator

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
an attenuator? those, HTD Hotplate things, (correct me here)

but, ive heard that those still don't make the 6505+ shine a low volumes, worth a shot though
No Money, No Honey.
Quote by squier19
an attenuator? those, HTD Hotplate things, (correct me here)

but, ive heard that those still don't make the 6505+ shine a low volumes, worth a shot though

there are other ones, an attenuator is just the easiest choice

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Tube heads generally don't sound as good in lower volumes. I think that you can get something called an attenuator that helps with this. I'm not quite sure though. Good choice with your amp and cab though! Hopefully you have many happy high gain years ahead of you!

There's probably one for cheaper, but you'd want to look at something like this I think:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--THDHP
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
can someone explain what an attenuator does (noob question)

Also, any particular model that youd recommend?
Attenuators are pretty expensive and don't really make it shine at bedroom levels, if by bedroom levels we mean normal TV volume in the room. You've got a high powered stage amp basically.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
What you need to do is deal with it in your bedroom and join a band so you can crack it open a bit sometimes.
hmm ok thanks. I'll live still by playing it quieter, it still sounds decent.

Just out of curiosity, with an amp such as the peavey 6505+, are pedals at all useful to get a thicker or heavier sound?

Thanks again
I got a similar amp and I run a maxon od808 infront of it and it sounds sweet. Great for helping solos cut better since I use a slight mid scoop for rhythm riffs and the od boosts up the mids and gives a mild boost. Sometimes I actually even use it for riffing to since it gives a little more balls and tightness.
and OD will make it sound alot better at bedroom volumes
Woot! New Zealand...