Hello!

I'm a big fan of tube amps although I don't have a lot of money to spend. But it's time to invest in a decent new amp that would serve me for a long time.

http://www.thomann.de/de/vox_ac4tv.htm
+
http://www.thomann.de/de/proco_rat2.htm

Although I like Laney VC15, I ain't got money for it. There's no point of waiting for more money to come because I don't have a job anymore and school is beginning soon. Parents can't support me, so I'm on my own.

Is this amp good for Led Zeppelin, Guns'n'Roses etc.?

Uku
Last edited by UkuK at Jul 28, 2009,
i haven't tried it, but I think greggybhoy has one, you could try pm-ing him (tell him i sent you). If you have enough spare cash, i'd be inclined to go for the head version and get a separate, different brand of cab (e.g. epiphone valve junior cab), as I think the cabinet (and combo version) have mdf cabs, which isn't amazing for tone. the valve junior cab is birch plywood (as far as i'm aware), and has a pretty decent tone even with the stock speaker- especially for the price.

an overdrive pedal (or not too high gain and classic-sounding distortion pedal) might be a better idea than a rat for led zep and g n r.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It is a great amp (I've tried it for a few hours and am getting one) but I think you would probably need an od to add some more gain.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I've had both the Vox and the Laney VC-15. If you don't need to gig then go for the Vox. It can easily cover Zeppelin and probably most G'n'R songs without a pedal, but a Rat may be the way to go for complete coverage. It must be said though, that if you gig or jam, then you will still be able to get a VC15 for roughly the same price as the Vox and RAT together. The VC can probably nail the tones you are after without a pedal, but it is maybe to loud for cranking as a bedroom amp - although I did (lived on top of a busy pub at the time so it was happy days!).

Either is a great choice, but I'm swaying towards the Vox for overall tone, as well as being able to bring down the wattage, but if you want a giggable amp, then go for the Laney.
^ thanks for posting in the thread, man

Quote by demitriv
It is a great amp (I've tried it for a few hours and am getting one) but I think you would probably need an od to add some more gain.

just out of interest, did you get to try it in northern ireland?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Seeing as I did, you might be able to do me a good turn

Do you know anything about the Roland VGA5? I've made a thread on it but to no avail, so far. There's a guy offering me £100 plus the amp, for my LTD.
sorry, I've never even heard of it, let alone tried it... only thing i can suggest is to do a search on the various big guitar forums (UG, HC, the gear page, rig talk, etc.), and check out reviews on HC etc...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sorry, I've never even heard of it, let alone tried it... only thing i can suggest is to do a search on the various big guitar forums (UG, HC, the gear page, rig talk, etc.), and check out reviews on HC etc...

Yeah, I've done that. I'm pulling the trigger on it, if only out of curiosity. It's got really good reviews for the most part. Just need to wait on the guy getting back to me. Cheers though.
no problem, sorry i couldn't help more. good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Greggybhoy covered it completely. It can handle Led Zep and Guns and Roses on it's own but at low volumes you would need to use an overdrive pedal or something. I have one and it's a great amp which I can't recommend enough.

EDIT: Didn't notice the rat bit at first, there's pedals that would be better suited to those bands, depends on your budget for what I'd suggest.
Last edited by aaronni at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc

just out of interest, did you get to try it in northern ireland?

No I didn't try it in the shop aaoroni, is actually a friend of mine and he let me borrow his for a few hours.

I have seen it in Matchetts although they sold out and Bairds had one a few weeks ago.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by UkuK
Thanks for the advice!

Marshall Guv'nor?
Boss SD1?

I personally use a Digitech Bad Monkey with mine so I'd recommend that although I will change it eventually. Not tried either of those pedals though. Will you be able to crank the amp? Even on 1/4 watt it can get quite loud, depending on that you might want a pedal just to add a little gain to the amp.
Quote by demitriv
No I didn't try it in the shop aaoroni, is actually a friend of mine and he let me borrow his for a few hours.

I have seen it in Matchetts although they sold out and Bairds had one a few weeks ago.

oh ok. Thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?