ok so im pretty sure something is wrong with the wiring/grounding of my band room. I have had 3 different guitars shock me, and an amps speaker output shock me. outside of this room, everythings fine.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Jul 28, 2009,
Haunted? It's probably a voltergeist.

Aaaaand I'm done.

[Sorry man, can't help, can only pun.]
Quote by Cholas
Haunted? It's probably a voltergeist.

Aaaaand I'm done.

[Sorry man, can't help, can only pun.]

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
You should be able to read your outlets with a multimeter

Maybe get everyone to meet somewhere else and see what happens.

Maybe your amp has a loose ground. If you don't know how to fix that then take it in. Good luck.
Quote by Zamorak
So what do you want us to do about it ?

Ummm maybe give him some advice and/or tips on what might cause the problem? Thats kind of why people post here.

No need to be so rude - Reported

If you aren't going to make helpful posts and play nicely then you should just leave UG now.

TS: Do as 311 said. My Bassman was missing the ground pin on the plug when I got it and it shocked me all the time (when I touched anything metal on the amp itself, whenever I touched the metal casing on a pedal, and sometimes even when I was just playing).
Quote by Zamorak
So what do you want us to do about it ?

Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by i_am_metalhead

TS: Do as 311 said. My Bassman was missing the ground pin on the plug when I got it and it shocked me all the time (when I touched anything metal on the amp itself, whenever I touched the metal casing on a pedal, and sometimes even when I was just playing).

well what if i told you this has happened with my ibanez, my friends ibanez, and my epiphone? also through a peavey 5150, peavey xxx, and a mesa stiletto?

im thinking its a grounding issue withing the room, not the equipment. weve had a great amount of rain in the past few days. any chance that could have done this?

and thanks for the help guys. im glad to see that MOST of the replies were helpful

edit: to diizz, literacy ftw
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i guess thats what i have to do, eh? well my dad might be able to look at it. we shall see

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I suppose water from flodding could have caused some issues but usually that would trip a fuse and you'd have no power.

If it is an older building with electrical runs that are 40+ years old they could very well be the issue. I'm glad you brought up the other amps because that def narrows it down. Are these 2 or 3 pronged outlets? Are you using power strips and extension cables. What is the floor like? What kind of building is this?

There are some things you can do if you can't get the building's power sorted.

THAT's how real UG'rs help
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 28, 2009,
hahaha well the building is a part of our grage converted into a band room by putting up a couple plywood walls. the wiring and stuff was done when we converted it a couple years ago. my 5150 was plugged into a power strip. my stiletto was plaugged into an extention cord from a different outlet. also keep in mind that all 3 guitars shocked me, AND the 5150 shocked me while plugging a cable into the speaker out. oh, and all 3 prongs

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ok. well no offense to the wiring job done or the potential concrete floor - but I'm guessing that's it. I'm not an amp tech or a power expert by any stretch. Sounds like you are getting shocked no matter what. Multiple guitars. Multiple amps. Multiple outlets. Etc.

I'd personally pay an electrician to come in and check it all out. What about other appliances and such in the garage?

PS: My personal belief is that your garage, instruments, and band members are not cursed and being haunted by ghosts. FYI.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 28, 2009,
As a few other say, get a electrician to do it.
I have hard to believe that the room's haunted... Because I doubt that ghosts (if they really exist) can make you shocked.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Obviously you have pissed off the god of thunder.

Now either check the outlets on your walls with a multimeter to check for grounding peoblems...

Or kiss and make friendlies with the God of Thunder
*sigh*

It's most likely a neutral problem if he's getting shocked, not a grounding problem.

A grounding conductor should never carry current for more than a millisecond.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
fair enough.

what is a neutral problem?

are you suggesting grounding to earth ground would not be it at all?

The neutral conductor (white) returns the unbalanced load to the panel.

This is all just guesswork - I'd need a meter to see just where and how the problem is.

Unless somebody has livened up the grounding conductor though, I wouldn't think it would be a grounding problem because something would have to be consistently shorting to ground, which is a more serious problem itself.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Now that I'm back from work, here's a useful wikipedia link on standard three-wire distribution systems so you can see what I mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_neutral is also good reading.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jul 28, 2009,