Quick question, would with ht-5 head with a 2x12 be able to pull off tight ballsy punchy metal tones? eg, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeIIx0fwVRs

Or would i need an OD?

The head is fairy cheap in Australia.. $569 ha.

Thank you!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I think so, it does 80s metal tones perfectly without a boost, through a 2x12 it'd be even better. With a boost, it'll just about cover anything.
I have one.

I'm running it through a 4x12 and it sounds incredible but honestly i wouldn't recomend it for metal. Personally I run a POD XT LIVE before it and select a Tubescreamer tone and bypass the Line 6s amp function before playing anything heavier than Led Zeppelin and ACDC.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
You would most likely need a boost. I dont play metal much, so I cant really explain how heavy it can get. A Bad Monkey OD would work great if you feel like you need more gain.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by HammettHead
I have one.

I'm running it through a 4x12 and it sounds incredible but honestly i wouldn't recomend it for metal. Personally I run a POD XT LIVE before it and select a Tubescreamer tone and bypass the Line 6s amp function before playing anything heavier than Led Zeppelin and ACDC.

+1

I also have one and while it's an awesome amp, it doesn't provide the metal tones i want. It does up to hard rock gain and even 80's metal is a big stretch. Luckily i have a TS-9 and with the boost i can get metal tones most similar to Megadeth, Slayer, Randy Rhoads although when boosted i am in dire need of a noise suppressor.

It wont give you that massive metal tone you would get from a Mesa Boogie but rather it is most similar to a nice Marshall in terms of gain. It is fairly easy to crank and it gets some nice natural OD.

In your case i would suggest something else. If you do get this though i suggest getting a distortion pedal for it.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Even with my Bad Monkey pushing the lows up I still can't get "tight punchy bass."
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I was thinking of getting a Bugera 6262 but that thing is just way to damn loud
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
I was thinking of getting a Bugera 6262 but that thing is just way to damn loud

Don't disregard an amp because of how loud it is. That's the whole reasoning behind a volume knob, so that you CAN play at low volumes. If you want the 6262, get it. Don't let the wattage drive you away from what you want.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by DiizZ
That's the whole reasoning behind a volume knob, so that you CAN play at low volumes.
This x10,000

If you need whisper quiet volume then your amp is going to sound like poo even if it's 1 watt. A HT-5 with the volume just below half on the gain channel is enough to overpower the stereo (not some dinky computer speakers either, a real component system) I use to play my backing tracks.

If you like the 6262 for the tone it gives when you can crank it, then buy it. If you don't you'll just regret buying the HT-5 when it comes time to play with other people - I sure do.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Even with my Bad Monkey pushing the lows up I still can't get "tight punchy bass."
That's shocking. I can get modern metal tones easily with my HT-5 setup. That's all I use it for.
Here are my settings:

Guitar - LP with SD JB in bridge - Dano Trans OD level at 7, gain at 2 treble at 8, bass at 6 - ISP Decimator - into HT-5 - ISF at 3 on the US side, treble at 10, mids at 4, bass at 6, gain at 6 - BBE Sonic stomp in the loop, low contour at 7, process at 6 - out of a Mesa 4x12 with V30's.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION