My friend is trying to pick up the guitar and he said he's just going to watch youtube videos to learn songs since he can't read tab, does this hinder (did I use that right?) his playing?
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
probably, but tell that bitch to learn how to read tablature and some theory while hes at it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Learning to read tab will greatly help his ability to learn songs quicker,as opposed to watching someone, looking where there fingers are, etc.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
I think watching other people play through videos may help him actually, it may make him easier/more fun to play with in group settings or in a band with another guitarist. So no, I don't feel this hinders (And I'm pretty sure you used it correctly ) his playing.
ಠ_ಠ

Notice how I have not quoted anyone, you could be the first! Make me lol!

198th person with a llama in a sig!

I unfortunately witnessed The Night of The Pear II
Quote by splamron
Learning to read tab will greatly help his ability to learn songs quicker,as opposed to watching someone, looking where there fingers are, etc.

But maybe watching and in turn listening for what's being played will develop his ear better.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But maybe watching and in turn listening for what's being played will develop his ear better.

this is true. my little brother is learning guitar from youtube videos, he has been playing for a year and is catching up quickly to me.
I've also redirected him to this site so he would learn through us and maybe pick up a few good habits.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by PinoyxRockar
I've also redirected him to this site so he would learn through us and maybe pick up a few good habits.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO you fool, do you want to risk him discovering the pit?
Quote by PinoyxRockar

Don't tell him about the Pit!
ಠ_ಠ

Notice how I have not quoted anyone, you could be the first! Make me lol!

198th person with a llama in a sig!

I unfortunately witnessed The Night of The Pear II
Watching videos may help him gain proper technique if he tries to replicate the instructor's technique.
That should be okay, though he should learn to read tab and the like. A great deal of my learning comes from YouTube.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by afromonkeyR0X
Don't tell him about the Pit!

I just told him about the tabs

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Tabs reading skill is unnecessary. I guess he'll become better guitarist if he never learns to read tabs.

In fact I have theory: The quality of songs and guitar riffs dropped around years 1990-2000. That's also time when internet became public. Lazy people didn't need to learn their alltime favorite songs through the ear cause they had comleted tabs in the internet. They didn't learn the songs themselves and didn't feel the frustration (which separates the losers from the people who really want to play the guitar and not just for chicks) and learn what sounds good and what sounds bad. That's why there's so many crappy bands today.
Quote by Sabbath-Bassist
Tabs reading skill is unnecessary. I guess he'll become better guitarist if he never learns to read tabs.

*laff*
Quote by Sabbath-Bassist

In fact I have theory: The quality of songs and guitar riffs dropped around years 1990-2000. That's also time when internet became public. Lazy people didn't need to learn their alltime favorite songs through the ear cause they had comleted tabs in the internet. They didn't learn the songs themselves and didn't feel the frustration (which separates the losers from the people who really want to play the guitar and not just for chicks) and learn what sounds good and what sounds bad. That's why there's so many crappy bands today.

What a load of bollocks. There have ALWAYS been "bad" bands, it's not just exclusive to today. It's not about how you learn- it's about how you apply it. On a personal note, I have bad ears- I was born without an ear drum in my right ear and lost out on developing my hearing in my young years. I had to use tab to learn. Does that make me a bad musician? Does that make me a loser? No. And f*Ck anyone who thinks so. In fact, it doesn't matter what reason someone learnt things through tab- the only thing that matters is that they're doing something they enjoy. Soo how about you get off that soapbox of yours?
the hell, I've heard insanely crushing riffs from teenage bands around here, and I like to think I've written a fair few myself, the quality of songs and riffs hasn't dropped.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Does that make me a bad musician? Does that make me a loser?

You got me all wrong. I meant the posers who play playback just for getting girls. Obviously you've had your frustration but you kept playing so that makes you real musician. I'm sorry if I offended you or anybody else. You play cause you enjoy playing, posers play cause they wanna impress gilrs. That's what I meant. Sorry.
Quote by Sabbath-Bassist
You got me all wrong. I meant the posers who play playback just for getting girls. Obviously you've had your frustration but you kept playing so that makes you real musician. I'm sorry if I offended you or anybody else. You play cause you enjoy playing, posers play cause they wanna impress gilrs. That's what I meant. Sorry.

you know what bugs me? people defining what "real" musicians are. if someone plays playback (assuming you mean that someone plays guitar to a playback track), he's still a freaking musician.
Ok. I'm getting bored so I'll leave now. And just to clarify my sidecomment about bad musicians was only for people who stops playing instantly cause they notice that playing isn't easy. Those were my opinions and I know you all have yours.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Ahh. So a combination of the 2 would be good.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
i can read tabs, sheet music and have a decent amount of theory knowledge, and yet i couldnt work out the pentatonic and other scales lessons here on UG. I turned to youtube, and it came up with excellence. It was just the basics, but after I understood them, i could grasp the lessons on UG.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
I use tutorials on Youtube alot. It helps when you're trying to figure out a timing for a song.
I say go for it, they can learn tabs later if they want.
TRANSFORMICE

it will help his ear but he'ld be better off if he learns tab and theory too
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Teach him how to read tablature? Its not that hard.

If you play guitar be a real friend and show him how to play some basic stuff. I've taught several people who have gone on to be decent guitarists.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
wait he can't read tab or doesn't want to? because if he can't thats just worrying
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
You could.

* Direct the b******d here. No-brainer, right?

* tell him to google Justin Guitar. it's free and has a beginner course which will get him started.

* Rape him with a sock puppet.

* You could teach him. then rape him with a sock puppet

* Mock his undersized private parts.

Choose wisely.