Hi I'm new to recording and I've got Audicity.

Do I need a microphone to record or can I just plug my guitar into my computer via an Adapter

It worked when I had the Mixcraft Trial. Although it was terrible quality
look into an interface, there are even some very cheap small ones out there. dont know how well they work but you should be able to get some decent quality recordings.

anyways, if you are serious check into an audio interface. I have an internal one by M-Audio, I get great quality recordings and its easy to use. I can record with either a mic or plug right into the interface.
If you are recording classical vocal music only, I'd suggest a much simpler setup. You don't need any plugins. You should NOT be compressing or limiting classical vocal music! You want a wide-open signal chain capable of wide dynamics without overloading. This is achievable without compression and excessive gain-riding. I've done it hundreds of times. REAL ESTATE MILLIONAIRE Austin apartment locators I suggest a good ORTF sub-cardioid pair such as Schoeps MK-21 mics; the Grace preamp would be fine (I like Millennia) and you could record straight to a Korg MR-1000 or MR-2000. The preamp in the Korg isn't too bad, either - the mic is more important. The files can then be loaded directly from the Korg into your computer for editing. I would think the Korg would be a lot easier to manage than a computer when performing AND doing the recording - a lot fewer variables. That's especially important if you're a noob.
Quote by allan111
If you are recording classical vocal music only, I'd suggest a much simpler setup. You don't need any plugins. You should NOT be compressing or limiting classical vocal music! You want a wide-open signal chain capable of wide dynamics without overloading. This is achievable without compression and excessive gain-riding. I've done it hundreds of times. REAL ESTATE MILLIONAIRE Austin apartment locators I suggest a good ORTF sub-cardioid pair such as Schoeps MK-21 mics; the Grace preamp would be fine (I like Millennia) and you could record straight to a Korg MR-1000 or MR-2000. The preamp in the Korg isn't too bad, either - the mic is more important. The files can then be loaded directly from the Korg into your computer for editing. I would think the Korg would be a lot easier to manage than a computer when performing AND doing the recording - a lot fewer variables. That's especially important if you're a noob.

I'll bear this in mind if I'm ever recording classical vocal music. The problem I have is that my stereo pair (rode NT5 x2) are very bright so the toppy instruments cut through a lot more than more mellow ones. I also agree with using a direct recorder if you're recording & playing classical pieces - I used a Fostex FR2 for my a-level music tech coursework, although I wasn't playing, it was much easier & tidier than finding an acoustically sound space, and wheeling in a computer.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?