I've been wanting to change my fender 15g for too long. So I'm gonna get myself a peavey.
My question is, should I get the classic 30 a nice tube amp long term investment or the vypyr great to practice on and exploring new sounds?
Music I like: pink floyd, steve vai, joe satriani,jimi hendrix,some jazz...well i like much more music but those are the ones I listen to most often. What I don't like is the country stuff and anything too metal. What's your opinion on what I should go for?
what's your absolute maximum price you can pay?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
you said you LISTEN to those artists. i take it they're the ones you also play?

Quote by cornmancer
I would go with listen. I can play it but it's nothing to brag about because I can't do it perfectly. Still in that learning phase I still enjoy it though
id say go with the classic 30. you can always boost it with an overdrive if you need to.

Quote by cornmancer
ZOMG.

Why pick on TS' phrasing.

TS, what is you intention behind this upgrade, apart from getting away from a cheap solidstate.

Are you aiming to explore alternative tones? Is there a specific tone you are looking for? Are you venturing into the field of tube amps? etc etc

I'd have imagined that it be more constructive to ask those questions, as compared to "is what you listen = what you play".

Given that he listens to those artists, the tone he's looking for can't be TOO FAR away from their tones.

I'd go for the Classic 30 if you are certain that's the tube sound you're looking for. If you're looking to try a variety of different new tones, try the Vypver. However, remember that a modeling amp is something that most people grow out of after a while, even the tube modellers.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty

TS, what is you intention behind this upgrade, apart from getting away from a cheap solidstate.

I'd go for the Classic 30 if you are certain that's the tube sound you're looking for. If you're looking to try a variety of different new tones, try the Vypver. However, remember that a modeling amp is something that most people grow out of after a while, even the tube modellers.

Mostly to get away from from the cheap ss as it's not very motivating to play with. But also I might be able to go do some live playing once I get to university. So I guess peavey classic 30 would be the best chioce. And yeh I can always buy the effects like hoodoo child said. What I liked about the peavey vypyr is that I get all those effects at once.
Last edited by Virtuoso883 at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by Virtuoso883
Mostly to get away from from the cheap ss as it's not very motivating to play with. But also I might be able to go do some live playing once I get to university. So I guess peavey classic 30 would be the best chioce. And yeh I can always buy the effects like hoodoo child said. What I liked about the peavey vypyr is that I get all those effects at once.

I agree with Hoodoo that getting a the Classic 30 is the best choice between the two. However, I suggest you go out and try other amps like the Blackstar HT-5 or Krank Rev Jr Pro or Vox Night Train or Marshall Haze or Orange Tiny Terror (other low wattage tube amps), even I think amoung that list, you might have good chances with either the Blackstar, the Marshall Haze, the Night Train or the Classic 30 for tones closest to the artists you have listed.

Also try other proper stacks as well. Try to nail down one amp which has a tone you like the most.

I'm honestly not sure how well the Classic 30 will be towards the sound you are looking for. I don't see Matrix Claw or WTF! around, you might wait a while to see what others suggest.

Its good to see people making smart choices, but within smart choices, there are also very smart choices and not so smart choices. Try to get an amp you'll be likely to stick with.

Also if you want to experiment with sound, see if you can get a USB signal interface from Line 6 and get a hold (hint hint) of software like Guitar Rig or the Peavey ReValver. With any luck, you'll be able to explore alternative tones with out a huge capital outlay.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 28, 2009,