I really want to get into amp building, but I'm not sure if I can do it.

I have experience with sodlering, it semms I'm always using my soldering iron on ym guitars twice a weej at least. I have basic understanding of electricity and I plan to go to trade school for an electrician so I guess this could give me some experience ahead of time. I'm looking for a 5 watt tube amp build kit that with a boost can do say metallica heavey, preferrable under 300 for the kit. I'll get the speakers after warward.

So far I found ones on ax84.com, is there any other ones I could buy?

EDIT: Would it be a better idea to start off say building some pedals first?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Jul 28, 2009,
just to clarify a few things, if you have to use your soldering iron twice a week to fix a fault there's something serious going on with your soldering. And electrotechnics is pretty different from electronics fyi, even more so when you propably only have knowledge around the basics of how electricity works. a proper guitar amp is actually quite a piece of work. If i were you, i'd start, as you say with some pedal circuits kits, though this is propably also a bit too complicated for someone who didn't study this.

a link with schematics you can check out to see if you're still up to it:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schematics.html
Quote by ziggymidget
just to clarify a few things, if you have to use your soldering iron twice a week to fix a fault there's something serious going on with your soldering.

This is what worried me, when I read the OP.
^Just to clarify, I solder on my guitars twice a week because I like buying random cheap pickups, doing simple mods etc. Not usually because there's something wrong. I'm always looking for an excuse to do some soldering lol.

Thanks for the reply, thanks for the link. I'm leaning towards doing some pedals first, learning more about schematics etc.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
EDIT: Would it be a better idea to start off say building some pedals first?
Definitely. Do that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Ok, so I decided t just build some pedals. I have a question.

Do I need to use the pcb?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Build me a whammy or wha pedal please.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by JoePerry4life
Ok, so I decided t just build some pedals. I have a question.

Do I need to use the pcb?

Nope.

In fact, you're probably better off learning to read a schematic and create a layout with perf or Vero board.

It worked for me. Made it easier to discern how particular components affected the overall result.