hey guys i got my esp explorer set up but the action was too low so i raised it a little throwing out the intonation. i found the into's were actually fine except for the bottom e string. even though the guitar would be tuned when i play a full D chord the low E just sounds like ****. Iv'e tried adjusting it myself but no matter where i move the saddle it seems to be out still. Any help guys thanks.
loosen the string and retune every time you move the saddle.
having a really high action can throw out the intonation, as a string will be 'bent perpendicularly to the board' when fretting. i think that's right :P
it could be crappy strings. try a new set?
Quote by heminder
it could be crappy strings. try a new set?

More likely than you'd think for intonation problems. Get yourself some new strings and try again.
Get a tuner and get all strings tuned perfectly. Then use the tuner to see if an open string has the same frequency as the same string fretted at 12th. If the note is sharp, you move the saddle further back, retune the string, and check again. If the note is flat, you move the saddle forward, retune the string, and check again.
Quote by Arzei
Get a tuner and get all strings tuned perfectly. Then use the tuner to see if an open string has the same frequency as the same string fretted at 12th. If the note is sharp, you move the saddle further back, retune the string, and check again. If the note is flat, you move the saddle forward, retune the string, and check again.

Wrong-the method is almost right but a fretted 12th will have a higher frequency than a open string. and it`s the open and 12th fret harmonic that should be tested.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
Wrong-the method is almost right but a fretted 12th will have a higher frequency than a open string. and it`s the open and 12th fret harmonic that should be tested.

that's wrong.

The purpose of setting intonation is to ensure the string is in tune when you FRET a string above the 12th. Because when a string becomes shorter (by fretting it), it effects the tuning of the string.
What good would it do to compare the open and 12th harmonic? Both of those notes are on the FULL length of the string.

You compare the 12th harmonic to the 12th Fretted.

If the 12th Fretted is SHARP of the 12th harmonic, LENGTHEN the string
If the 12th Fretted is FLAT of the 12th Harmonic, SHORTEN the string

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/intonation.html

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
sometimes guys have trouble comparing the fretted 12th to the harmonic.

and it helps comparing the open string note to the fretted 12th.

like said, make sure you are tuning up the open string after every saddle adjustment.

make sure the saddle is moving, and not stuck.

and if it just wont intonate, make sure the strings are fresh, like said. that can make all the difference.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by ibanezgod1973

12th Fret harmonic is not the preferred method by many luthiers. That method has been wrongly passed on by many over the years. Using the fretted 12th and open string compensates for the string deflection more accurately. (Guitar Player Repiar Guide - D Erlewine)

Oops! I'm a slow typer and see I've been beaten to the punch!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by jean_genie
There's no E in a D chord.

Bam.

Guys... this guy had it first post. Of course the low E string is going to sound like crap when playing a D chord.... that's why you mute it. This isn't an intonation problem, this is a problem of sounding horrible because of what he's playing.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Guys... this guy had it first post. Of course the low E string is going to sound like crap when playing a D chord.... that's why you mute it. This isn't an intonation problem, this is a problem of sounding horrible because of what he's playing.

well i might be going out on a limb, knowing how crazy some of these threads are, but i'm guessing that, he's checked the tuning at the 12th and saying that it's not intonating.
and isnt just talking about a strummed chord.

^^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Yeah, he says full D not open D so he may be referring to a 9th Fret Barre Chord.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Yeah, he says full D not open D so he may be referring to a 9th Fret Barre Chord.
In which case he's a goon for playing a D chord all the way up at the 9th. I can't think of a single instance where that is the most useful position to play a D chord.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
In which case he's a goon for playing a D chord all the way up at the 9th. I can't think of a single instance where that is the most useful position to play a D chord.

Nah! Lots of simple rock songs use E Barre chords! Takin' Care of Business by BTO is a Canadian example. E barre chords can sound thicker than A barre chords so positional changes add variety IMO. (Although I also like open position chords the most)
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Nah! Lots of simple rock songs use E Barre chords! Takin' Care of Business by BTO is a Canadian example. E barre chords can sound thicker than A barre chords so positional changes add variety IMO. (Although I also like open position chords the most)

yeah but, you like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking. *pinky to mouth.

sorry, i'm in that kind of mood.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62