ok im a bit still a bit a noob when it comes down to guitar gear because ive never had enough to buy anything really good but i just got my valveking amp and i was told on hear that i need to get a eq pedal for it, the thing is i have know clue what theyre used for or how to use them. so if someone could please explain that and my other question is whats the difference between a distortion pedal and a OD pedal.

thanks
Not sure why you were told you need an eq pedal. Most amps will have treble, middle and bass knobs. They are your eq right there. I suggest you play around with the settings till you get a sound you like. Depends on your guitar too, as to how much treble or bass you will need. There is no hard and fast rule. It's all in how it sounds to the player. An eq pedal just gives you extra tone controls from what is on the amp. You might have five, six, or thirty controls instead of just three. So you can boost or pull back different frequencies (bass = low frequencies, treble = high). Most eq pedals will be five or seven band. (Each band will be for a different frequency range from bass on the left to to treble on the right.) I would not rush out and buy an eq pedal, if I were you. I have lots of pedals myself, but no eq pedal. As to your other question: a distortion pedal is like a fuzzbox. It really dirties up your sound. That is the idea - to give you that distortion. An overdrive (OD) pedal boosts the signal from your guitar so it overloads the amp and pushes it to break up. The effect might sound similar, but they are essentially different. An overdrive pedal like, say, a Tube Screamer, can really fatten up your sound. Hope this helps.
EQ Pedal: Lets you change your sound around by adjusting the frequencies. Your amp has this built in (the knobs labeled bass, middle and treble), so I can't see why you'd want one, unless you want more flexibility.

Distortion is what it sounds like: You twist the acoustic sound that a guitar makes and, well, makes it sound like noise. This is what people say is "pretty ****in' metal".

Overdrive is also just that: You overdrive the signal so that it becomes more powerful, and oftentimes add a bit of gain to it. Used mostly for vintage rock and lead sounds.
yeah, nightraven's got it. also, you were told to get an eq pedal because the valveking's eq isn't that great. however, i would hold off on that until you get more acquainted with the amp and develop a good ear. then, if you think you need one, get it.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Quote by nightraven
^ overdrive doesn't make your signal 'more powerful', nor does it 'push the tube amp into overdrive' (although it is able to, but that's not what it's designed to do). OD pedals generally work the same as distortion pedals, but they simulate the distortion that you'd get if you cranked up your tube amp. the distortion (or 'overdrive') all happens in the pedal, not the amp.

what if your using an overdrive pedal as a clean boost?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

a clean boost COULD cause your preamp tubes to clip a bit, but that's the most that could happen. it's just boosting your signal before the amp, giving you a volume boost for solos or whatever.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
yeah of course. generally that'll only happen with lower-wattage amps.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5