i want to take a performing music course in college (UK) and i need to be grade 5 or higher (im a shredder so what would i get?) and where can i get graded? (i personally hate the idea of needing a piece of paper to say i can play but thats what i need)

thanks
Last edited by shredda2084 at Jul 28, 2009,
It's not to say you can play, it's to prove youhave the necessary pre-requisite knowledge to understand what they'll be teaching you. You'd need to find a local accredited music teacher or school.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can do exams without having lessons, but you need to find out what qualifications the college will accept - its pointless you going off and getting Rockschool grades if they only accept RGT for example. Talk to the college and find out what exam boards they recognise.
hey man i was in the same position as you though not a shredder. I decided i wanted to do music and so i applied to leeds college of music. Their probably the leading music college in the north. I did the Grade V exam under the rockschool board which they accepted but the leading bored is abrsm so be sure to check them out and good luck

P.S i passed and got in
Most academic programs want accreditation from a board that focuses on classical and/or jazz. They couldn't give even half a toss about what kind of mad shred skillz you have.

I was already a pretty competent guitarist when I started considering taking music academically in a university setting. I went to an instructor (easily among the most credible instructors in a country of over 30 million people), and the verdict was.... grade two.

Rock really didn't count for squat in that particular discipline.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by shredda2084
i want to take a performing music course in college (UK) and i need to be grade 5 or higher (im a shredder so what would i get?) and where can i get graded? (i personally hate the idea of needing a piece of paper to say i can play but thats what i need)

thanks

dude if your a shredder, thats like grade 11.

But seriously, the advice given so far was good.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 28, 2009,