i have a fender squier p bass and am looking to get a effects pedal for it, i play a lot of rock and metal and was wondering was it worth getting a pedal that caters for both effects or just getting a distortion pedal? i am fairly new at playing bass only having been doing it for a month and a half so any guidance is appreciated.
Last edited by toxicstabbyman at Jul 28, 2009,
Sounds like you're after something like an Electro Harmonix Double Muff. Works for me, anyway.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
For a bass you don't really wanna be spending time messing with pedals, save up for a really good amp and get your tone right.. buy a good amp and you should be able to get enough distortion for a good gritty tone without it sounding too muddy
Depends if you want overdrive or distortion sounds. Just be wary that distortion tends to blend into the mix a lot, but doesn't fill up space quite as well as fuzz.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
After only a month of playing you should be concentrating more on technique/improvment in playing more than anything.

You're better off just practicing at home or looking for a beginner band to play along with and saving up. Later on you should buy an amp, then a nice bass, then focus on pedals. Effects won't sound good if you're playing through purely beginner gear IMO.
no sig for joo
Quote by matttehbassist
After only a month of playing you should be concentrating more on technique/improvment in playing more than anything.

You're better off just practicing at home or looking for a beginner band to play along with and saving up. Later on you should buy an amp, then a nice bass, then focus on pedals. Effects won't sound good if you're playing through purely beginner gear IMO.

I completely agree with this, with such a short amount of play time, you really should be focusing on the basics before getting into the tonal aspects.

However, regarding your question, I like to add a little bit of TS-9 Tubescreamer to my playing sometimes just for a little grit.
MXR Bass Blowtorch? it's a seriously versatile fuzz pedal, that can pull heavy synthy fuzz to a little crinkle around the edges.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I thought I would share this bit of 'school of hard knocks' INTEL.

I have been playing overdrive to heavy sustain on expensive basses for years.

I even shelled out over $750 for the SWR Bass Intersteller Overdrive Rack Mount (tubes) with the $100 drive pedal. Various overdrive pedals both with tubes in them or solid state with varied success.

I played with in a "power trio" at some various high name Sunset Strip clubs, and we basically cleaned up. The lead guitarist, who was quite wealthy and with the best equipment possible swore by his green Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Lately, I tried the new version with the "Turbo" at a studio thru a Mesa Boogie Amp and a real cheap Ibanez bass with EMG Pickups. The Iby Tube Screamer made a $300 bass sound like a $2,800 bass. Incredible. That is the secret. I recently found out that Jazz six string players use the same model for some extra tone.

If you want the Jack Bruce "real" fuzz you can have it. If you want just overdrive with extra sustain so you can "trill" for several bars you can have that too.

Guitar Center and Musician's Friend discount them to just over a hundred dollars.
Since I have spent a lifetime looking for the best overdrive, it is ironic that the one that really turns my crank is made for 6-string guitar and yet really cooks for 4 string bass. Get one!

Also for soloing, nothing beats a solid (well wired, corrosion free connection)
"2 channel" bass amp with EZ Simple Channel Changing. If you have the money-
I recommend the Mesa Boogie Titan V12. Yes, it costs alot, but it is worth every penny and is professional enough to beat inflation and will last you ten years if not longer. Most bass amps are cheaply soldered onto PC Board (Like Hartke) and one bump, one crack and your signal is gone as well as your gig and reputation.

Take it from a guy who has been around the barn a few times.

Humbucker3 in LA