Im in the market for a new guitar amp. Im loking at a hughes and kettner duotone, mesa triple rec and an engl invader. Iv heard the mesa and hughes and kettner live. The mesa sounded a bit fuzzy and metallic while the hughes and kettner sounded warm and deep. I want to know which amp will give me a deep, heavy distortion tone without getting fuzzy and metallic sounding. Any answer is appreciated. Thx.
JAMES
There is no answer really.. Theres a list of about 100 amps all great for metal. Which is best is up to you and the tone you like.

But to throw something out there my favorite is a Diezel Herbert..
Marshall JCM 800 KK! Thats heavy man, you can go into beast mode.

"on as ide note, wtf is beast mode?"

Most respected amp heads and combos do metal well enough. Tell me what you want, like, can afford.....and someone here will bash it, praise it, hate, love it, and somewhere in all that mess youll get an idea if can do metal.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I've been through (as in owned, not demo'd at a store or something) about at LEAST 15 "metal" amps over the 1k range, and by far the Invader 100 has come out on top. It does a great job of achieving a very smooth, somewhat warm and rounded off brutality I have yet to see in another amp I've tried. However, that is for MY tastes. There is no universal "best metal amp" not only because that is inherently subjective, but different amps excel at different flavors of metal (a "metal" tone is still very vague imo, brutal death metal sounds nothing like prog for example). Your best bet is to be a bit more descriptive if you would like any suggestions, but nothing will compare to you sitting down with the amps for a good while, and tweakin em to see which suits you best.

Personally, next up on my list is the VHT Pitbull UL and Diezel Herbert
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Jul 28, 2009,
Im just looking for an amp that won't get fuzzy and metallic sounding the louder it gets. Mesas tend to sound fuzzy the louder they get.
JAMES
Quote by IbanezPsycho
And theres the budget Herbert alternative...

6505+ and a VH140C in stereo

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Roland JC-120

The Diezel suggestions are great, as usual. I also like Hughes and Kettner amps, and the Orange Rockerverb A LOT. Sure, most people don't necessarily think of Orange for metal, but it's a remarkably versatile head and it has killer tone.
Quote by kayman121
There is no universal "best metal amp" not only because that is inherently subjective, but different amps excel at different flavors of metal (a "metal" tone is still very vague imo, brutal death metal sounds nothing like prog for example). Your best bet is to be a bit more descriptive if you would like any suggestions, but nothing will compare to you sitting down with the amps for a good while, and tweakin em to see which suits you best.

I agree wholeheartedly with that. There are a load of amps which we can tell you about, but after that it's a matter of trying them, or at least trying as many as you can, to see which you prefer. if you really can't try any, then if you really narrow down the styles of music you play, like kayman says, we can tell you which ones we'd be veering towards for those styles of metal, but even with that, there's no guarantee that you'd agree with us.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?