so I found this -> https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

and the first thing it talks about is the construction of major scales. Is it necessary to know how to construct a major scale anywhere on the guitar? If so, would it be necessary to learn all of the notes on the fretboard? Or should I just apply the major scale formula to the root note of w/e note I'm playing on the neck and learn that way.

Or you could post an entirely different method of learning the construction of the major scale that I haven't mentioned here.

try to be nice to the nublet, i'm just trying to learn guitar theory ><
Yes, learn how to construct the scale and all the notes on the fretboard, it will help you GREATLY in the future. It takes some extra work, but it's not too hard and it's extremely useful.
you should try and learn the notes all over the fretboard. it makes life MUCH easier while trying to learn music theory
so I found this -> https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

and the first thing it talks about is the construction of major scales. Is it necessary to know how to construct a major scale anywhere on the guitar?

It's necessary if you want to know how to construct a Major scale anywhere on your guitar

Quote by freeflow

If so, would it be necessary to learn all of the notes on the fretboard?

Well, it helps, but I wouldn't suggest setting out to memorize all the notes real quickly just so you can construct Major scales. I suppose you could for a quick overview, but it takes time and experience to truly know all of the notes on the fret-board.

Quote by freeflow

Or should I just apply the major scale formula to the root note of w/e note I'm playing on the neck and learn that way.

Ultimately you want to know the notes and be able to apply formulas. It's not going to happen right away though, so you can apply the Major scale formula to a particular root note.

but....... I wouldn't "just" do it as you stated....... I would do it, and many other things.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 28, 2009,
So which should I do first? Construct Major scales or learn all of the notes on the fret board?

Quote by GuitarMunky
I would do it, and many other things.

Such as...?
Last edited by freeflow at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by freeflow
So which should I do first? Construct Major scales or learn all of the notes on the fret board?
I'd start with learning your way around the neck a bit - maybe learn the notes where the inlays are, and learn how to find standard intervals quickly - octaves, 5th, 4ths, Major 3rds for starters.

This might help:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OXv69rcko0&feature=PlayList&p=FA239CA8EF73CEC9&index=9
Forgot to mention my background, I've been playing for like, close to 2 years. So I'm pretty familiar with playing the guitar its just the theory I need help on. So feel free to skip all the basics (how to read tabs, how to hold a pick, how to change chords etc) and go straight to the theory.
Learn the notes and figure out the patterns by using the notes. For example, take a C major. C D E F G A B C. Find all of these notes everywhere on the fretboard and you have yourself a major scale pattern. So, start on, say, a D, and use the same pattern (WWHWWWH, W=whole step, H=half step) and you will figure out that the notes in D major are D E F# G A B C#. It is a great tool.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ how are your reading chops? (for standard notation)

hm, I never learned how to read notes :S, for the first couple of months I read tabs, but now I play everything by ear.
Quote by freeflow
hm, I never learned how to read notes :S, for the first couple of months I read tabs, but now I play everything by ear.
Learning how to read music may help too. Then you can use the circle of fifths.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by freeflow

and the first thing it talks about is the construction of major scales. Is it necessary to know how to construct a major scale anywhere on the guitar? If so, would it be necessary to learn all of the notes on the fretboard? Or should I just apply the major scale formula to the root note of w/e note I'm playing on the neck and learn that way.

Or you could post an entirely different method of learning the construction of the major scale that I haven't mentioned here.

try to be nice to the nublet, i'm just trying to learn guitar theory ><

Nothing is necessary, you decide what you do. Having said that, if you want to be a good musician, your gonna have to know how to play all major and minor scales all over the neck.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Nothing is necessary, you decide what you do. Having said that, if you want to be a good musician, your gonna have to know how to play all major and minor scales all over the neck.

I want to be a good musician. Instruct me so that I may be able to construct the major scale off ANY of the 126 frets on my guitar. And therefore proceed to next objective of https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032 that is MODES!
Watch freepower's theory vids (link in my first post). They cover all the basics. Then check out the Music Theory FAQ sticky. You're doing it the right way round - making sure you really understand the major scale first will make your life a lot easier in the long run. Well, music theory life that is.
Quote by freeflow

It's a good idea to learn considering that most theory books use examples that are written in standard notation. I would highly recommend spending some time reading standard notation 1st. You don't necessarily have to be great at it, but it would help you alot to have at least some reading skills.
shred is gaudy music
Well I got an even grasp on all the natural notes on the guitar neck (at least up to the 12th fret and excluding the high E), so should I proceed to constructing major scales? How will I know that I've mastered the major scale? Should I be able to play it off any fret on the neck? If that is so, would it be safe to say that I'm ready for modal theory?
Quote by freeflow
I want to be a good musician. Instruct me so that I may be able to construct the major scale off ANY of the 126 frets on my guitar. And therefore proceed to next objective of https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032 that is MODES!

Sheesh, what is it with people getting such a hard on for modes????

Slow down, modes are a long way off and in all honesty they are nowhere near as exciting or useful as you think they'll be. You already know how to construct the major scale, start at the root note and follow the pattern of intervals...however as we all know there's a massive difference between knowing how to do something and actually being able to do it. Posting here isn't going to make things any easier or quicker, the only thing that will help is for you to start trying to put the knowledge you have into practice.

You don't learn scales for the sake of learning scales, you learn scales to help you better understand music. That means you never truly "master" the major scale because it's goal itself, it's a catalyst, a tool for doing other things. It's not an achievement to tick off, it's a stepping stone to greater things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 2, 2009,