This - Being able to move freely around the scale pattern, that is without thinking. Or will doing so only "program" my hand to always go the scale up and down?

In case this isn't the best way to "get the feel" of the scale, what are the best ways to do it?
Yeah, you have to apply it, not just run up and down it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
It will make you good going up and down a scale.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
The best approach is to use a combination of approaches. When teaching my students 3 notes per string patterns, I generally give them this approach:

1. Practice running the scale up and down.
2. Practice running the scale ascending and decending in 3rds
3. Practice running the scale ascending and decending in 4ths
4. Practice running the scale ascending and decending in 5ths
5. Practice scale sequences ascending and decending
6. Forget everything you just did and jam over a backing track using that scale pattern.

If you would like me to send you some example of the sequences I give my students, send me a PM.
Try closing your eyes and try to hear in your head one of the notes in the scale, then try to play it without looking down at the fretboard. Do this 15 mins a day for a week and you should have improved noticeably.
Quote by stephen_rettie
get something to play over and improvise with that scale.

I agree with this, find a song you enjoy and then play the pattern over it and notice how the notes sound in different points in the song. Feel free to play different parts of the scale at different times and see how the match up with the song. Eventually you'll be able to use notes in the scale to come up with a lick/riff that works over that part of the song
Thank you for the advice. Also, i noticed one thing. I thought i was a really horrible improviser, like the worst that ever lived, when i improvised flat out. I tried improvising in the blues scale on a backing track, and it sounded pretty good with the backing.

Also. If I'm 'trully' improvising like a pro, do i need to know what notes i hit? Because now i just sort of do it how i feel, don't really care what notes, i care more about the pitch, that is if i want something higher i will hit the High E B or G strings. Of course i play the scale in the right key, but other than that i really don't pay attention to the notes i hit as long as their in the scale pattern. Or in other words, when i improvise do i have to think like this " G note, now A note, now C note, now B note " ?
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 28, 2009,