As much as I love my new Vetta, I find it to be a tad lacking for juicy, classic rock distortion that comes from tubes. So naturally, I'm looking for a nice mini tube head- which there seems to be quite a bit of.

So, my choices seem pretty laid out- the Orange Tiny Terror, the Vox Night Train, or the Blackstar HT-5. Note that cleans aren't that important to me. It's all about the vintage overdrive.

EDIT: For a target, something like Eric Clapton's tone on "Crossroads" tickles my fancy quite a bit.
Last edited by BeethovensBust at Jul 28, 2009,
how about blakcheart handsome devil 15 watt head im thinking of getting one of them some time soon. They sound and look great.

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
the blackstar is amazing
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by lewisg1
how about blackheart handsome devil 15 watt head im thinking of getting one of them some time soon. They sound and look great.

I have one and I love it.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
As someone said, all very different. The Vox and Orange are very high gain for their size, I preferred the tone of the TT but the versatility of the Vox. Never played a Blackstar, but I've heard very good things. For the tone you're after, it seems that none of those would be a bad choice. My vote goes Orange, but again, it's kind of a one-trick pony.
The only thing that bugged me about the Vox was the equalization of the thick channel. When I tried it (for a couple minutes), the thick channel really grabbed me, but there was no way to turn down the gain. It sounded great, but not versatile as far as gain goes. At least the TT has some form of EQ for the higher gain settings.
Quote by Antis0cial
vox or krank rev jr.

ive heard clips of the rev jr, and from what i've heard, it sounds terrible.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Rather than the Night Train, look into the Vox AC-4. I've tried both, and for classic overdriven sounds the AC-4 is the absolute master. There's not a lot to the amp, just volume, tone and the wattage selector, but it's superb.
Night Train, Tiny Terror, HT-5 all sound pretty modern to my ears. I'd look more at Blackhearts for vintage rock overdrive.
Vox AC4?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I really like the Night Train. Between the dual power modes, the bright/thick setting and EQ, you can get all kinds of tones out of it. Definitely try the Orange and Blackstar out too, though.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
save up your cash and splash out for a Blackstar Artisan 15h, a good bit dearer bit so worth the money, as i found out quite recently really unreal amplifier, cleans and dirts are amazing
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded
save up your cash and splash out for a Blackstar Artisan 15h, a good bit dearer bit so worth the money, as i found out quite recently really unreal amplifier, cleans and dirts are amazing

As much as i like Blackstar's... I would not pay $1500 for that.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Bugera V5....?? Never tried it but it looks pretty interesting.
5 watts
Tone, Gain, Volume controls
Reverb
Headphone out
Power attenuator - you can run it as low as 0.1 watts, so you really crank everything to the max in your bedroom.

Best of all ...it costs only US$150.
http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/V5.aspx
http://cgi.ebay.com/BUGERA-V5-VINTAGE-5-ALL-VALVE-EL84-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ390073980225QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad2389541&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Quote by Hoodoo Child

Yeah, the guy from Guitar World made it sound like ass...it didn't help that his guitar was out of tune, either.
Quote by Hoodoo Child

Rev jr actually does sound pretty good but it really is a metal amp. You can get it to do other stuff but metal is what it does best. Most people just don't know how to EQ a krank.
Quote by JayT44

Lawl @ all the goofballs saying the Randall has the best overdrive.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by M Power
Rev jr actually does sound pretty good but it really is a metal amp. You can get it to do other stuff but metal is what it does best. Most people just don't know how to EQ a krank.

+1, if your looking for a classic rock tone I wouldn't recommend the Rev Jr. first. That isn't to say don't look at it because your idea of a classic rock tone could be very different from mine.
Quote by greggybhoy
Rather than the Night Train, look into the Vox AC-4. I've tried both, and for classic overdriven sounds the AC-4 is the absolute master. There's not a lot to the amp, just volume, tone and the wattage selector, but it's superb.

This!
I'm sure some people have mentioned it. But Blackheart Little Giant or Blackheart Handsome Devil. They sound very classic rock-ish when they're overdriven and have pretty good cleans.
I mentioned Handsome devil earlier and even though they are a newer brand they still sound amazing and suit the classic rock style as commented by another person in this thread. They also look great and i will be getting one sometime this year when i have the money. Also the prices are great. So take a look

EDIT: http://www.blackhearteng.com/blog/Blackheart_Handsome_Devil_half_stack.jpg

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Last edited by lewisg1 at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by lewisg1
I mentioned Handsome devil earlier and even though they are a newer brand they still sound amazing amd suit the classic rock style as commented by another person in this thread. They also look great and i will be getting one sometime this year when i have the money. Also the prices are great. So take a look

EDIT: http://www.blackhearteng.com/blog/Blackheart_Handsome_Devil_half_stack.jpg

Yes, I forgot to mention the prices... They are one of the cheapest decent tube amps you could find. The Little Giant is $350 in half-stack form, $250 as a head, and the Handsome Devil is $350 as a head.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by M Power

He's right.. if you spend some time in tuning the EQ you'll get a beautiful sound, but jyes mostly for metal and harder rock
Hmmm, I am now faced with another option- the Marshall Class 5.

The sound clips on Marshall's site sound spectacular. The only thing that puzzles me is the price. It's made in the UK (which screams above my budget), yet Marshall is targeting it at "professionals and bedroom players alike", even going so far as to throw in a headphone out. Which makes it clear that it's competition is most likely the Blackstar HT-5. If it is priced anywhere near these amps, it will be mine, But I highly doubt that.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Hmmm, I am now faced with another option- the Marshall Class 5.

The sound clips on Marshall's site sound spectacular. The only thing that puzzles me is the price. It's made in the UK (which screams above my budget), yet Marshall is targeting it at "professionals and bedroom players alike", even going so far as to throw in a headphone out. Which makes it clear that it's competition is most likely the Blackstar HT-5. If it is priced anywhere near these amps, it will be mine, But I highly doubt that.

Relying on what the sound clips sound like on the Marshall website probably isn't too reliable... I recently watched a video from Line 6 for the Spider III, and the "Back in Black" setting on the video sounded nothing like what the setting on the actual amp sounds like.
Quote by Antis0cial
He's right.. if you spend some time in tuning the EQ you'll get a beautiful sound, but jyes mostly for metal and harder rock

Finally... there live people who don't hate on the krank for whatever weird reason.

However, much as I love my Krank Rev Jr Pro, I'd have to agree with most guys that the Krank isn't the classic rock tone amp, its more suited for high headroom, cranked front end tone. Its more oriented towards hard rock to the shred and brootalz metal end of the tonal spectrum.

Look at the Vox Night Train, Vox AC-4 or the Tiny Terror. Even the Blackheart Little Giant, but I personally don't like the overdriven sound on the Blackheart.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
*throws thread a Phoenix Down*
/geek moment

I have been interested in these as of late. Has anyone tried them? I love the tone of the nano but I don't think it would be loud enough for anything besides being a living room rockstar (there's nothing wrong with that, though ). The Dr. Z intrigues me as well, but I want to know how heavy it will go. All of the demos I have heard are of country and blues.
To give a word description of a Blackheart's overdrive....

I'd call it smooth, wet, and warm. It's not all that great clean, but man do I love the crunch mine gives me!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray