I want a half stack that will give me the sound of artists like Tom Morello and Darron Malakian....and possibly even Billie Joe Armstrong. So i was going to buy a Marshall half stack, being more specific a Marshall DSL100MLB and MC412 Half Stack. But i really want to do my homework on this so if anyone has any recommendations please tell me! I dont want to go over $1,300 if possible, but if thats impossible try to keep it somewhere around that.

Thanks in advance!
why? why do you need a halfstack? are gigging massive venues?
get a marshall dsl401 if your deadset on marshall, or a used jcm900/800 combo.
Why a halfstack and why Marshall?

Don't get a DSL401 either

DSL401 imo sucks ass along with the MC cabs you mentioned.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I second Stephen...I own a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier and absolutely love the amp but I hate having to carry it around to my band mates houses when we practice...the other problem about halfstacks are that you have to pump up the volume to open them up and get the full tone...I also have a Marshall TSL602 which is really nice and I got it used for 700 American dollars. With the 60 tube watts, that is all that you will need. I get the cops called on me for being too loud with that amp.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Quote by Rocknroller309
I second Stephen...I own a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier and absolutely love the amp but I hate having to carry it around to my band mates houses when we practice...the other problem about halfstacks are that you have to pump up the volume to open them up and get the full tone...I also have a Marshall TSL602 which is really nice and I got it used for 700 American dollars. With the 60 tube watts, that is all that you will need. I get the cops called on me for being too loud with that amp.

So a combo, you dont have to pump up the volume to open it up...

Cops can come out on a 1/4 watt amp depending on where you live. So that is a moot point.

Moral of the story get what you want and what sounds good to you. If its tubed and cranked 9/10 its to loud anyway, no matter the wattage.... So test out some amps and see what ya like..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 28, 2009,
Tom Morello uses a JCM 800 2210, whereas I'm fairly certain Daron Malakian uses Rectifiers of some variety.

No idea about Billie Joe, but he probably uses a Marshall of some sort.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You dont need a Halfstack, You dont want a Halfstack, you havnt even said where you're going to be playing. Halfstacks are only good if you're playing stadiums and have someone else to carry your gear.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by stephen_rettie
why? why do you need a halfstack? are gigging massive venues?
get a marshall dsl401 if your deadset on marshall, or a used jcm900/800 combo.

Quote by VanTheKraut
You dont need a Halfstack, You dont want a Halfstack, you havnt even said where you're going to be playing. Halfstacks are only good if you're playing stadiums and have someone else to carry your gear.

Wrong. I probably push less volume with my halfstack than most combos. What's your point? I like having a 4x12 to keep the low end on my amp defined. And yeah, it's still loud, because I turn it up to 10 every time I play it, but whether I'm using a JTM45 head with a 4x12 or a Bluesbreaker 2x12 combo, it's not like it's going to make a difference in volume.

To the TS: the MC cabinets indeed suck, I would buy the DSL head used and a used 1960 cabinet at the very least. I love how everyone gets on his case for wanting a half stack and wanting a Marshall. He has enough money for a half stack that doesn't suck, let him get a half stack.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Wrong.

To the TS: the MC cabinets indeed suck, I would buy the DSL head used and a used 1960 cabinet at the very least. I love how everyone gets on his case for wanting a half stack and wanting a Marshall. He has enough money for a half stack that doesn't suck, let him get a half stack.

+1

I still dont get how people can still say stuff about halfstacks when everything that has been said about them has been disproven 50 times over and dicussed here in detail on numerous occasions..
Quote by al112987
Wrong.

To the TS: the MC cabinets indeed suck, I would buy the DSL head used and a used 1960 cabinet at the very least.

Care to elaborate? I was pointing out that your gonna get more for your money if you go the combo route, and odds are if you get yourself a 100w tube amp your never gonna get to crank it unless your playing large venues, I played a friends 100w combo for a reasonably sized gig and didnt get past 9 o'clock. I play a 50w JCM and have yet to find a place where i can crank it.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Care to elaborate? I was pointing out that your gonna get more for your money if you go the combo route, and odds are if you get yourself a 100w tube amp your never gonna get to crank it unless your playing large venues, I played a friends 100w combo for a reasonably sized gig and didnt get past 9 o'clock. I play a 50w JCM and have yet to find a place where i can crank it.
So what does that have to do with a half stack? What does Because whether you're using a 100 watt combo or a 100 watt half stack, both are going to be too loud to crank it anyway. It's not always about volume.

Can you get more for your money with a combo? Depends how you think about it. If you don't have enough to afford a good head and a good cab, then it is not worth it to skimp out and get a crappy head and/or crappy cab for the sake of having a half stack. But when you have enough to afford a decent half stack, then whether or not you get more for your money comes down to whether or not you prefer the tone of a halfstack to that of a combo, and the sound of an amp pushing a 4x12 might just be worth it over a slightly more expensive amp pushing a 2x12 out of an inferior combo cabinet.

If you want to say "are you going to be playing stadiums" then don't get on his case for getting a half stack, get on his case for wanting a 100 watt amp. Even then, there are reasons for one wanting a 100 watt amp, that go beyond "having more volume." I could very easily take my JTM45 out of it's head cabinet, side mount it in a 2x12 combo cabinet with two G12H30s, turning it into a Bluesbreaker combo, and it would actually be LOUDER than it would be pushing a 4x12 of G12Ts in a 1960B cab. So really, is the combo any better?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
+1

I still dont get how people can still say stuff about halfstacks when everything that has been said about them has been disproven 50 times over and dicussed here in detail on numerous occasions..
Because these people don't own half stacks so they don't really know what works and what doesn't. I guess they're all right when they say that nobody NEEDS a halfstack, because really a combo can keep up in volume just fine, is cheaper and is easier to carry around, but lets see... nobody NEEDS a tube amp either, because really... a solid state amplifier does the same thing, turns a small signal into a big signal, and they're cheaper, easier to carry around and more reliable... should we all just throw out our tube amps?
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 28, 2009,
Just a little more to add to the convo..

The combo route you actually get less for your money..

Crappy speakers and a open back vs Halfstack you can pick your own speakers and have it closed.

In most case's you cant even crank a 1/4 watt tube amp so how is having a 50-100watt head any different.

And as for large venues, they have mic's so your not gonna need to crank the amp and if you do then more then likely the sound guy will tear your a$$ because its messing up the mix. And if you mean a halfstack can power a large venue/stadium by itself then you are dreaming.. It will take about 250,000+ watts to power most large to stadium size venues.

Also I would take moving a halfstack with casters over a combo anyday..
If I were the TS - I'd look into the VOX night Train, the Tiny terror, and the Marshall Haze. Micro Stacks that have monster tone. I'm actually falling for the Haze myself. Maybe some day soon......
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204