Hi,

i have a Dell Inspiron 530 and a 19 inch Dell Flat Screen Monitor.
my PC's resolution has always been 1440x900 ever since i bought this 2years ago but yesterday my house had a power failure and my computer shuts down.
after the power went back my PC's resolution changed to 800x600 and i cant change it
back to 1440x900 because i cant find it in the screen resolution choices.

and whenever i access to change screen resolution menu it doesn't say what monitor im using (i use a Dell SE198WFP), it always says Generic PnP Monitor.

help is appreciated
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
that is very very odd. try finding, downloading, and installing ur video driver (from another computer if necessary). then restart and try again.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
that is very very odd. try finding, downloading, and installing ur video driver (from another computer if necessary). then restart and try again.

you mean the graphics card??

i already updated it..
its an Intel G33/G31 Express chipset
and when i run my DirectX Diagnostic Tool it doesnt show what monitor im using, its just blank
feel free to add me
do u have the cd that came with it that has all the drives. there may be something for the monitor.

try a system restore maybe?

how did u update ur driver? try downloading a fresh one from the makers website.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/en/monitor_download?c=us&l=en&s=gen

The monitor drivers will stop it from coming up as Generic PnP monitor, but even as a generic pnp monitor it should still have the correct resolutions.
Sounds like a graphics card driver issue, but since you've already got the latest drivers then just try monitor drivers.
What operating system are you using? XP, Vista?

And this might seem like a stupid question, but when you go to your display options (where you change the resolution), do you see 2 rectangles (might be different sizes) with numbers inside them near the top? These represent your monitors, and there's usually a "default" generic one even though you only have 1 monitor. It is possible that your active monitor got switched to the generic one. If there is a second rectangle there, click it, and see if your monitor's name comes back.

If not, then just see if downloading and installing new drivers works.
Then is the Monitor Plug and Play that´s bad, try installing it from the graphics software, should be normal again after that.

Btw, if it doesn´t, start thinking about a new graphics card :S.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
do u have the cd that came with it that has all the drives. there may be something for the monitor.

try a system restore maybe?

how did u update ur driver? try downloading a fresh one from the makers website.

i downloaded a recent version of the Graphics driver..
and the CD that came with the monitor does nothing it only links me to some manual
how do you system restore??

and i also tried downloading the latest driver for my monitor and it does nothing, it just un zips up some files and thats it.

i have Vista
feel free to add me
can someone show me how to do a system restore??

and how to install the monitor driver??
it only unzips some files and an Install wizard never pops up
feel free to add me
go to where it unzips and click the setup.

system restore, im not sure exactly where in vista it is, but it should be in system tools somewhere, maybe control panel?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
well there is no setup :confusedL
i'll try a system restore..
feel free to add me
System Restore as last resort. I am 99% sure it can be fixed by reinstalling your video driver. Goto dell's support section and search your computer, it will have the drivers that came with your PC on their website. Find the display one, download it, unzip it, then open the folder. It should have a install or setup program, if it doesn't simply copy the files in the Drivers folder under system.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
just double click all the files it unzips, one of them has to do something. if not system restore it. i dont wait as a last resort for system restore, its easy and u dont lose anything except like program settings or something.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
its fixed.
the system restore worked, thanks for the help guys

EDIT:
but some of my programs like NO$GBA (DS Emulator) still looks blurry
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jul 28, 2009,
they look blurry cause they are stretched out to ur computers high resolution. nothing can be done about that. u still have to play them at GBA size on ur pc
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
they look blurry cause they are stretched out to ur computers high resolution. nothing can be done about that. u still have to play them at GBA size on ur pc

before my problem happened it looks sharp and in the right size but now its blurry and bigger than before.
feel free to add me
WTF go into the Emulators setting and increase the resolution, and put everything in High performance settings.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by dannyniceboy
WTF go into the Emulators setting and increase the resolution, and put everything in High performance settings.

i tried and it still doesnt look right
feel free to add me
i also tried to open up some programs and my WinRAR is also too big and blurry than before.
feel free to add me
Quote by Roast Beef
Sounds like you're using the wrong resolution

no, programs like Firefox restored back to normal but some stayed different..
i'll try a system restore..
feel free to add me
try turning it on and off. then if it doesn't fix itself, panic.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

system restore wont delete my programs (aka Games,emulators,documents) right?

and BTW the other thing that i did was not a system restore my computer just did an update.
feel free to add me
system restore brings back settings and deleted files, it WILL NOT erase new files, or restore files that have been overwritten.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
system restore brings back settings and deleted files, it WILL NOT erase new files, or restore files that have been overwritten.

k i'll do that..

DELL says that it will take 30 minuites... is that true?
and its gonna bring back ALL deleted files??

i think i dont have enough space for the 8 games i uninstalled/deleted recently..
feel free to add me
ok i tried system restore and it didint do anything....
feel free to add me
for the GBA games, make sure its not dithered. or something that says bilinear or nearest neibor. also depending on the draw method used it will auto resize and therefore add mixed lines between. like directdraw might not have the line doubler but openGL does. its cause when using openGL it hands it off to the video card in its native resolution and the hardware resizes it. in directdraw the emulator has to do it. just uses the directdraw dll to put it on your screen. doesn't have to be that way but it usually is. the better way to play *ahem* backups is to get a DS flash card and a DSlite. GBAtemp forums will help you out.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
for the GBA games, make sure its not dithered. or something that says bilinear or nearest neibor. also depending on the draw method used it will auto resize and therefore add mixed lines between. like directdraw might not have the line doubler but openGL does. its cause when using openGL it hands it off to the video card in its native resolution and the hardware resizes it. in directdraw the emulator has to do it. just uses the directdraw dll to put it on your screen. doesn't have to be that way but it usually is. the better way to play *ahem* backups is to get a DS flash card and a DSlite. GBAtemp forums will help you out.

its not just NO$GBA its also Photoshop, WINRAR, Device Manager,Calculator and afew others

and when i turn the color to 16bit the blurriness was gone but it still out of size.
feel free to add me
bump
feel free to add me