Hi all! I've been at guitar teaching myself for about a year. I'm getting on pretty well and I can play a number of songs

I was wondering about the structure of chords though because everywhere there is Dsus2 or Dadd#11 and what have you. Can someone please explain how you can tell which chord is which just by looking at the tabs, for instance I wouldn't know if

x

was a A7sus4 or not! :P

Thanks in advance!

PS. Can someone tell me the standard way of playing Gmaj7 chord, I love G major 7th, or atleast the name, rolls of the tongue.

But everywhere I look there is conflicting information on the structure e.g. I've seen

and

and

I really don't know which one is the 'standard' Gmaj7. If you can help I will be eternally indebted to you! xD

Thanks again!
There is no standard, and you are talking about the voicing of the chord, not the structure.

The structure of a Gmaj7 chord will always be G(root) B(major third) D(fifth) F#(major 7th)....sometimes with the fifth left out. If you really want to voice your own chords you should learn where the notes are on the neck, and then the order you put them in is called the voicing.

I would play Gmaj7 this way:

x
x

using my thumb to hit the G on the 6th string. The structure is the same (i.e. it has all the notes of the Gmaj7 chord), but the voicing is G F# B D (from thick string to thin).

edit: you want to learn the arpeggios, look up the CAGED system, that might help.
Last edited by chainsawguitar at Jul 28, 2009,
It typically takes years of study to be able to determine right off the bat which chord is what. In the meanwhile, you can use this website:

http://theguitarresource.com/guitar-chord-finder/

to figure out which chord is what.

As for your second question, there are probably between 40 and 50 different ways to play the G major 7 chord on guitar. I agree with the above poster, that is widely (among jazz guitarists) considered to be the most "standard" way, but you should learn different ways of playing it. Also I usually play it with my index finger on the low E string, but that's just personal preference.

As for the other two ways you've mentioned in your post:

3 - This is a G major 7, but you typed it incorrectly. On the internet, it is standard to put the low E string on the bottom. So it should look like this:

The other chord is not G major 7, no matter how you look at it.

Here are some other ways to play G major 7:

x---x---x---x---x---x---3
8---x---x---7---8---12--7
11--12--11--4---7---11--4
9---12--9---5---9---12--x
x---14--10--5---9---10--5
10--14--10--x---x---x---x

Also, the other chord you typed is not A7sus4. You can play A7sus4 two main ways:

x

or
Last edited by jvttlus at Jul 28, 2009,