recently i have been working alot on downpicking all palm mutes if possible for example master of puppets. i was wondering how important it is to downpick rather than alternate pick palm mutes. and id also like to know if u guys down pick everything. and also is it normal for my wrist to be in a llot of pain when practicing this?
Tip: if it hurts your doing it wrong.

seriously, try to alternate pick your putting a lot of strain on your wrist by downpicking everything
what is wroong? my technique? and i have seen pros downpick everything tho like james hetfield. thats why i started practicing it
Quote by stephen_rettie
Tip: if it hurts your doing it wrong.

seriously, try to alternate pick your putting a lot of strain on your wrist by downpicking everything

This.

Yes James plays it all downstrokes, but don't hurt your wrist trying to emulate this. Then you couldn't play any kind of strokes. If you know what i mean. But seriously, alternate pick.
Carlos! Not at the table!

Quote by TSmitty6
funniest part of the show for me: everyone yells SLAYER, all the time. so this one dude goes up to the esspresso stand and yells LATTE!!!!!!! and the lady spilled the drink all over the customer.
Quote by BoNScoTTRuleZ
what is wroong? my technique? and i have seen pros downpick everything tho like james hetfield. thats why i started practicing it

Most probably your technique. Instead of doing it super fast, try doing it slow and build up speed. Eventually you'll work up a good speed and endurance. But never continue on something if it hurts. Just stop and try later.

Try playing riffs with downpicking palm mutes in but not a constandt stream of them. Like from Angel of Death - Slayer, or metalcore songs like Like Light to the Flies - Trivium ( ).
Quote by BoNScoTTRuleZ

Kirk Hammet anchors, these guys dont have perfect technique. Downpicking is fine for slow heavy passages but when stuff starts getting fast your better off alt picking as no one's gonna be able to tell the difference.
Quote by BoNScoTTRuleZ
how come they down pick everything then?

They've practiced both, they can do both. They have been playing a lot longer than you. They like the sound of downpicking more.
Quote by timeconsumer09
They've practiced both, they can do both. They have been playing a lot longer than you. They like the sound of downpicking more.

this, but i assure you for really fast passages they alt.