hey guys, so I'm trying to fix my girlfriends computer, because the internet won't work for some reason, and I'm having trouble coming to any conclusions.

The internet is directly connected through her router, and her router is working, so there's not trouble with the Ethernet cord, but the local area connection icon on the taskbar has an x on it, and I'm not sure why.

Every time you log on, there are several pop ups saying certain files like an extension of system32 is not a valid image and PMW crashes, which I don't know what that is, haha. But also, there's a notification saying that Windows isn't genuine or anything, which I don't think it is; her mom said she got it off some discs from her brother, so, ehh, haha

So I guess my question is, would an illegitimate copy of Windows not connect to the internet?

I checked all the connections, and they worked, and my next step is to figure out if a non genuine copy of windows would cause this

if not, I'm gonna assume her computer is broken.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
maybe try resetting the router? also, have you tried opening network connections and right-clicking he connection and selecting "repair"?

btw... i managed to get my hands on a bootleg copy of windows that connects to the internet just fine.

but when i go it i had some trouble getting it connected to the internet. i restarted it a bunch of times and reset the router and it ended up working.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 28, 2009,
sounds like a cheap copy of windows has back fired, best thing to do is get a new computer, face it the technology will be past it and also there is a new windows coming out so your version of windows will be out of date aswell
I'll try clicking repair, but it doesn't even recognize it that the cables connected, so I'll try

She has Xp, if that helps

Well, another thing is, they recently moved, and the computer worked fine before, so I don't know if it got damaged during moving or not, or what.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Last edited by TDKshorty at Jul 28, 2009,
Really belongs in the computer thread.

But it sounds like she has some problems with system32, which pretty much is the worst place to have problems with. Also, a legitimate copy of Windows probably won't hurt.

I'd suggest a full system-restore, if she still has the discs to do it.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by MushroomBomb
Really belongs in the computer thread.

But it sounds like she has some problems with system32, which pretty much is the worst place to have problems with. Also, a legitimate copy of Windows probably won't hurt.

I'd suggest a full system-restore, if she still has the discs to do it.

I agree. You can do one of those system restores that restores settings. Thats usually the best thing to do first, as it will put all settings to the way they were when it worked.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
If the system32 error contains a .dll filename google the name of the dll file. Many sites provide good working dll files. Replace the old one with the one from the sites.

Allthough best solution is reinstalling it with a legal version of Windows.
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?