Can you tune a guitar so that all the harmonics at the 5th 7th and 12th frets all fit into one key while utilising all the notes in that key at the same time?
I mean tune it so that all those harmonics make up a key, as in no notes in said key are left out.
Yes, open tunings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_tunings#Open_tunings

Quote by shaf_9110
I mean tune it so that all those harmonics make up a key, as in no notes in said key are left out.
Wait, what? There are seven notes in a scale and only six strings, so, no.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by rockinrider55
Standard?

yeah, standard tuning works for a few different keys
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
yeah, standard tuning works for a few different keys
Is that what he means? haha I guess it would be G maj in standard but I'm kinda confused at the questions hahah
Quote by rockinrider55
Is that what he means? haha I guess it would be G maj in standard but I'm kinda confused at the questions hahah

Me too lol, i cant think of any harmonics on the 5th, 7th, 12th that i cant use in Em/Gmaj, but i dont have a guitar with me so i wouldnt quote me.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Me too lol, i cant think of any harmonics on the 5th, 7th, 12th that i cant use in Em/Gmaj, but i dont have a guitar with me so i wouldnt quote me.
Yeah, TS's question makes absolutely no sense. The notes E A D G and B are all in a few different keys (Em, G, C, Am, D Bm, and more) so at least the octave harmonics (12th and 5th) would be in those keys.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 28, 2009,
The 5th is kind of redundant I guess since they are just octaves. But other than that my question makes perfect sense....

Can all the harmonics at the 7th and 12th frets fit into one key, while using all of the notes in that key.

Standard tuning might fit into one maj/min key, but they don't contain all the notes in that key.

E A D G B E are the harmonics at the 12th fret in standard
B E A D F# B are the harmonics at the 7th fret in standard

A B D E F# G

Where's the C?

Unless I screwed up somewhere...which isn't unlikely.
If you finger the first fret, you will have new harmonic notes one fret above at the eighth and thirteenth frets. You don't need a tuning layout to achieve what you want.
You get out of your instrument what you put into it.
i think you mean tune the guitar so that every note from a scale (C D E F G A B) are all harmonics. Yes it is possible, the harmonics you get are typically root and 5th so tuning to C D E F in some order would get you all the harmonics (the C string would have a G, D would have an A, E would have a B at 7th fret)

going from standard EADGBE to a CDEFxx (x could be any note you like) tuning would be weird though.

EDIT: from standard to E A C# G# B E would be conceiveable since it is not much of a change

E harm - E B
A harm - A E
C# harm - C# G#
G# harm - G# D#
B harm - B E
F# harm - F# C#

that has all the notes of E major with just octave and 5th harmonics (from 7th fret)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 28, 2009,