Is it at all common or okay to write progressions where the chord changes are uneven and at odd beats. For example I wrote a progression over two measures that is A on beat one, E on beats 2 and 3, D on beats 4 and 1 of the next measure and B on beats 2,3, and 4 of the second measure. This for a ska song I am writing, is a progression like this gonna be too hard and confuse listeners/ band mates? Or is it a cool thing that others have done?
AEED|DBBB
It might confuse your bandmates depending on how good they are, but it is definatly "right". If it sounds good it is good.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Absolutely. What fun would music be if everyone's chord progressions changed only on beat 1?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
you're gonna confuse a lot of people if you do that, that is if they suck. but if you can pull it off best of luck to you.

no worry about being "right" tho. cause it totally works.
Quote by k_quest:
I feel like we are in Nazi Germany in this chat room
Doesn't sound confusing at all to me, especially considering you're going to have a melody to hold it together.
"Is it okay?"
Honestly, what do you think is going to happen? Do you think the police will break down your door in the middle of the night? The worst that will happen is that the song will sound bad. Does it sound bad? No? Alright.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
Is it at all common or okay to write progressions where the chord changes are uneven and at odd beats. For example I wrote a progression over two measures that is A on beat one, E on beats 2 and 3, D on beats 4 and 1 of the next measure and B on beats 2,3, and 4 of the second measure. This for a ska song I am writing, is a progression like this gonna be too hard and confuse listeners/ band mates? Or is it a cool thing that others have done?
AEED|DBBB
Sure, sounds fine to me. Good luck writing an effective melody to it.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.