Page 1 of 2
I've been reading that active pickups + a solid state amp equals a no-no.

Whats the reason for that?
well solid states in general are a nono.

btw you could have asked this in either one of your emg threads.............
Why are solid states in general a "nono" ?

And no one reads those. Who the hell actually has an 81/60 combo? Everyone has the amber sunburst EC-1000....
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Why are solid states in general a "nono" ?

because he's an idiot making a stupid generalization.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I think using actives with a solid-state sounds just fine. The actives will push a tube amp into saturation earlier, so you will get the full potential of the pickups with a tube amp.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by Mayonaise 812

There are some good SS amps e.g. Roland Jazz chorus

But you won't notice much of a difference with a pickup change with an SS amp.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
^^Haha I thought so.

I mean, I know tubes are generally "better" but they are so expensive for a decent one.
Quote by Mayonaise 812

not really, some tube amps suck, some SS amps are really nice. It's just that those are usually pretty expensive, Zentera, Vetta, etc.

Edit: ^ what is expensive to you? if you can save up for an ec-1000 you can probably save up for a really nice amp. bear in mind your amp contributes 90% of your tone.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by mikeyElite
because he's an idiot making a stupid generalization.

calm down dumbass. ok low end solid states which you probably have...

but anyways because solid states often have clipping issues and since the emgs are very high output they dont mix.
It's because it overloads part of the amp, which causes it to "clip", which most people think sound like crap.

I hear the Peavey Vypyr sounds alright with actives, and i wonder if this is because of the analog distortion?
i think the issue for some people is that actives sound more compressed which leads to an overall thinner tone. solid states have also been known to be thinner sounding and not as warm as tubes.

so basically people who prefer a fatter tone will probably be more likely to go for tubes and passives. but that doesn't necessarily mean that actives and solid states are bad. it's all a matter of opinion. people wouldn't use them if they were that bad.

EDIT: yes... clipping also sounds bad
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I think using actives with a solid-state sounds just fine. The actives will push a tube amp into saturation earlier, so you will get the full potential of the pickups with a tube amp.

I know tube amps have to heat up.

Solid states, you just kinda flip the switch and BAM there are ready to go.

And what you're saying, is that solid state amps hold back the actives?

EDIT: Mayonnaise (which isn't as superior as Mirciale Whip), Mikey is a mod.... you can't rip on him like that and expect to get away with it.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by stephen_rettie
Edit: ^ what is expensive to you? if you can save up for an ec-1000 you can probably save up for a really nice amp. bear in mind your amp contributes 90% of your tone.

Expensive to me is easily anything over $500. I would love to buy a better amp than my Spider, don't get me wrong. But I don't have space for anything bigger than 15 watts. That's sort of a generalization, but I cant fit anything bigger than 17 x 8 x 12.5 in my room, which is about any amp with a 8in - 10 inch speaker.

Plus I love the MP3 in on the spider... makes it easy to listen to tunes on the MP3 player...
good amps can come in small sizes... for example ac15... and he flamed me first anyways so whatever man.
^^ That's true. I need an 8-10 inch speaker, though. I'm gonna need a decent size practice amp for jamming and playing at parties and stuff.

And I've already found out that my Spider can blow down a house. So I can tell how loud a 15 watt can get (souped up with external volume from an RP50), without breaking up. I was shocked, actually.

But the generalization you made wasn't true, and people would call people who say stuff like that this word called "ignorant."
well to quote me i said "in general." do you know what that means? in general ss amps are the low end ones such as spiders and mgs. the high end ss are a very niche market i doubt many people buy them compared to the lower end ones.

anyways you should really look into that black star ht-5 if you need a small metal amp.
I need a flexible amp.

But thats not the topic at hand.

So If i get a guitar with active EMG's in it and play it on a solid state amp, it'll sound fine?
well if your getting emgs for versatility.... SORRY NOT THE TOPIC

well if you think the spider sounds fine. then yes it will sound fine to you. there wont be to much of a difference in tone because its a modeler amp.
Quote by Mayonaise 812

I know people have already took shots at you, but this is the second worst post I've read in my life.

Have you not heard of the Peavey Bandit, Roland Jazz Chorus, Line 6 Vetta, Line 6 Flextone, Roland Cube, or Peavey Vypyr?

As for actives with solid-state, I would say no. Actives are ment to push tube amps- not solid state. If you push a solid state amp, it will start to clip. This doesn't happen to all solid state amps however, but even then actives won't reach there full tone potential unless used with a tube amp.

So, if you have a solid-state, the best option would be passive pickups.

If you have a tube amp, either is fine. I personally like passive's more than actives.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jul 28, 2009,
It depends on the quality of the amp that it's plugged into. If the amp is crap it's going to sound like crap. I played a guitar with actives with a Vypyr and it sounded amazing.
Oh. Crap.

So if I played actives on a 15W amp, will it clip?
Especially if I'm using high-gain rectifier style distortion?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Oh. Crap.

So if I played actives on a 15W amp, will it clip?
Especially if I'm using high-gain rectifier style distortion?

Depends on how much the amp can handle. Most likely IMO on that kind of amp.
if all you are doing is playing fairly quietly, not with a band, then i dont think you'll run into clipping issues. i never have at low or mid volumes through my 30w mg that everyone and their mothers seem to hate so much haha.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Well this sucks for me. I want to find out if my amp can handle high output.

I've put my amp to the volume test. At school I jacked up the volume all the way, and then the RP50 volume to 99 and I played for awhile (a good 10 minutes) before I got nervous about blowing out the amp (And my ear drums, for that matter). It shook the band room, haha.

Does this help at all for knowing if my amp will clip?

And i'm planning on playing in a band, without an amp upgrade for awhile.
tomorrow ill play for a while through my mg with my 60/81 guitar and ill tell you about any clipping issues i have or dont have.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Your MG is double the wattage of my Spider.

Of course you could probably go longer without clipping... unless all that CRUSHING OVERDRIVE really ruins it.

But if by some chance your 30W clips quickly, I'll know my 15W won't last.

Thanks for your help !
I once played EMGs through my Spider III just to see how they would go and they sounded pretty sterile and noisy on the Insane channel which I EQ'd to be somewhat usable. They will clip with anything that is an excess. For example: It's like having my tube amp on the gain channel with the self-boost it has then run a distortion pedal on top of it to amplify the gain even more. It will start to clip even though it's a 100W 2x12.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
So your saying I've I used my clean channel (EQ is running flat because of my pedal) and the RP50 with high gain rectifier distortion, they will clip?
If you are that concerned/questionable over the EMG actives why not just ditch them whenever you get the guitar and use passives. Or just get a 400 series LTD which already comes with passive pickups and save the rest for a nice tube amp.
They could or they could not. Depends on how much gain you dial in when EMGs are actives themselves. By the way, the EMG's won't make such that much of a tone difference since you already modulating the distortion on a modeler amp. Seems a like waste of money, IMO.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Okay, thanks.

I think I'm gonna check out the C-1 Classic and a few other guitars. Maybe even the amber sunburst EC-1000.

I'm only concerned about the EMG's acting up on my guitar because I know my mom would flip if I spent $900 on a damn nice guitar and then it sounded like **** and i need to replace the pickups. Even thought going from active to passives would almost be nothing, she'd still freak.

Moms...

And the only 400 series ESP I can find is the EX-400 Wayne Static with active EMG's 81/60.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Okay, thanks.

I think I'm gonna check out the C-1 Classic and a few other guitars. Maybe even the amber sunburst EC-1000.

And the only 400 series ESP I can find is the EX-400 Wayne Static with active EMG's 81/60.

Get your store to order in if they allow it and if you don't have to buy it. But like if you have any doubts over EMG's then just get a guitar with passive pickups.
Page 1 of 2