hey all,

ive finally got me some wood for my oak & pine build and was going to get my neck glued tonight so its ready to be started on on friday when i finish work then i realised that i dont really know what sort of dimensions i need for my neck thru wood, my initial thought was as long as its thick enough for the body the neck can be carved from that then i thought about neck angles and how much extra wood i may need to take this into concideration so i came to the best place i know for this advice - you guys

so then in short: what sort of dimensions do i need for a general neck through neck and how do you calculate neck angle so early on in a build.

alternativly would i be possible to have it straight or would this mean the bridge pickups etc... would be really high/low in the body

also would it make a difference if i was to add a maple cap (for both cosmetics and for extra support for the pine)

hope that makes sence

im planning an RG style build at the the moment but may change that when im ready to cut the body

edit: also does anyone know of a good neck through build guide as the one i keep finding on project guitar is bolt on
Last edited by gtanny at Jul 28, 2009,
You only need a neck angle, if your bridge will be much higher than your nut.

Best way is to draw it out full size and see what sort of action you get, however, most stuff like Strats and so on, don't require a neck angle.

TOM's usually do need 2 or 3 degrees.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
do you mean dimensions of the peice of wood for the neck itself?
somthing atound 32 inch long X 9cm wide by 1 3/4 inch thick

Quote by Skeet UK
You only need a neck angle, if your bridge will be much higher than your nut.

Best way is to draw it out full size and see what sort of action you get, however, most stuff like Strats and so on, don't require a neck angle.

TOM's usually do need 2 or 3 degrees.
or recessed
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Last edited by nowa90 at Jul 28, 2009,
i love this place at times, within 10 mins you guys have answered my questions. thanks very much

Edit: Skeet; once the build is coming along nicely i will be in touch about some hardware... maybe a fretboard too (although i think im going for a £5 maple/rosewood one from ebay for this test build)
Last edited by gtanny at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by nowa90
do you mean dimensions of the peice of wood for the neck itself?
somthing atound 32 inch long X 9cm wide by 1 3/4 inch thick

No, for a neck through, he should laminate up a block, just over 40 inches long, about 3 inches wide and 2 inches thick (to match body thickness).
Obviously, that would then be trimmed down when shaping the neck etc.

Why not look at the Neck Through build thread?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
For neck angle

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=14036

You can recess a TOM bridge into the body and not have to use a neck angle.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by gtanny
i love this place at times, within 10 mins you guys have answered my questions. thanks very much

Edit: Skeet; once the build is coming along nicely i will be in touch about some hardware... maybe a fretboard too (although i think im going for a £5 maple/rosewood one from ebay for this test build)

No problem.

Word to the wise though. Some things are worth doing cheap, and some aren't.

If you look around, you may find that you can build this with good enough materials, cheap.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
No problem.

Word to the wise though. Some things are worth doing cheap, and some aren't.

If you look around, you may find that you can build this with good enough materials, cheap.

i have located a supplier of kiln dried hardwoods inc. maple, sapele among others that is actually based a 10 minuite drive away but when i contacted them they said they are closed to public for the next month or so due to a holiday (its a family run buisness) but i can get enough maple for 3 necks for £30.

im doing this on the cheap purely as its a practice build that will get me using a router, measuring, dressing & installing frets, installing a truss rod among others and most importantly - patience to finish a guitar properly.

that being said im not going to cut corners on quality of what i am using - i went through about 30 peices of planed pine to find the one with the least knots while still being level and damage free.

the thought of a maple cap will all depend on the quality and my general confidence of the build by the time i get to that point.

i understand if i search around i will be able to get mahogany/alder/basswood for a body and maple/mahogany for a neck at not much more then what i paid for the woods so far but i very much doubt i will get them cheaper then £10 for my oak neck and £5 for my maple body - the most expensive item i have had to buy was the wood glue, but atleast i have enough to use again!

cheers for your advice skeet, you seem to be a hell of a help to many, many people on this forum - top man
Quote by gtanny
i have located a supplier of kiln dried hardwoods inc. maple, sapele among others that is actually based a 10 minuite drive away but when i contacted them they said they are closed to public for the next month or so due to a holiday (its a family run buisness) but i can get enough maple for 3 necks for £30.

im doing this on the cheap purely as its a practice build that will get me using a router, measuring, dressing & installing frets, installing a truss rod among others and most importantly - patience to finish a guitar properly.

that being said im not going to cut corners on quality of what i am using - i went through about 30 peices of planed pine to find the one with the least knots while still being level and damage free.

the thought of a maple cap will all depend on the quality and my general confidence of the build by the time i get to that point.

i understand if i search around i will be able to get mahogany/alder/basswood for a body and maple/mahogany for a neck at not much more then what i paid for the woods so far but i very much doubt i will get them cheaper then £10 for my oak neck and £5 for my maple body - the most expensive item i have had to buy was the wood glue, but atleast i have enough to use again!

cheers for your advice skeet, you seem to be a hell of a help to many, many people on this forum - top man

If you can laminate the neck (oak maple) I would.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani