There are a couple things I'm not sure about.

I'm new to playing guitar, and I am looking at buying my first equipment sometime soon. I want to get either a Schecter Damien 6 or an Ibanez RG3EXFM1.
I played (or attempted to play) a few guitars in some guitar shops and I've decided that I like thinner necks. I noticed that most of the Schecters have chunkier necks, but I've been reading some things online that say the Damien 6 is different and has a thin neck comparable to the Wizard II necks on Ibanez guitars. Then other places say it's thick again.

What's the deal? Is it thick like most Schecters or is it thinner?

Another thing I'm not sure about is the power of the amp I should get.
Should I go with 15w or 30w? I'd just be playing in my room, so I think 30w might be a little overpowering, especially considering that I can't even play yet. I do know that sometimes more power is needed to get bassy and crunchy tones for metal playing, which is what I want to play, and I don't know if I would be able to get enough power from a 15w amp.

The two amps I'm looking at are the Roland Cube and Line 6 Spider III.
A little input on the quality of both amps would be appreciated too.

Thanks for any help.
I'm a new guitar player.
I want:
Schecter Damien 6 or Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Roland Cube 30X or Line 6 Spider III 30w
Send me a PM if you have advice.
Well Schecters don't really have thin necks. But I'm not entirely sure about the Damien or Omen necks. They could be thinner (comparable to the Wizard 2 neck?) than the Hellraisers.

Just keep looking and around and playing a bunch of different guitars and you'll find one you like the most.

GET THE ROLAND CUBE, and 15 watts is plenty. 30 watts is pretty big for a starter.
Get the cube, better for metal and better overall.

Also, the damien does have a thinner neck than most schecters, but it's still no wizard. I like it alot, and i love thin necks.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
ive played the damien and i liked it alot. but if you like necks similar to wizard IIs just get one with a wizard II. as far as amps, most of these dudes would rather kill themseleves than play a spider III but i think since your a beginner its probably gonna be the best thing for you, they can sound pretty heavy for such a little amp.
ibanez are regarded as having the thinest neck, i would try and get the roalnd cube 30 you get more effects. i'm sure there will be many people behind me saying don't get the line6 and i agree with them it just feels cheap
i own a schecter damien, and i wouldnt say its thin, but its not really thick either. its hard to get used to because its such a flat fretboard, something more curved like my strat is much more comfortable. it doesnt matter who says whats thicker/thinner. try em out, if u like it, buy it. no matter what shape of a neck it is, ull get used to it eventually.

ibanez makes really nice high end stuff, but their low end isnt great. schecter low ends are very solidly built and the damien comes with passive emgs, not some ibanez stock stuff.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by xxunder-takerxx

ibanez makes really nice high end stuff, but their low end isnt great. schecter low ends are very solidly built and the damien comes with passive emgs, not some ibanez stock stuff.

I prefer the Ibanez INFs over the EMG HZs, it's just a preference.
The cheaper Ibanez Guitars (like RG321) are really good too.
I would take the Ibanez over the Schecter.
The only question I have left about the guitars is versatility. How to both stack up in that aspect.

Also, I understand that most people would tell me to get the Roland, but I'm still considering the Line 6. What I need to know is, is it really a piece of crap or is it just a pretty mediocre amp? I don't need anything that sounds amazing at this point, and the Spider III 15w is like $70, and I don't have a lot of money. If I want to play on a good amp, my dad has a very high end Vox I'm sure he'd let me tinker on.
Would the Line 6 be okay, or would I regret it and be dissatisfied even as a beginner?
I'm a new guitar player.
I want:
The line 6 is fine for beginner and just fiddling around in your room.

As far as quality (like it breaking and stuff) - No worries.

The problem people here have with them is that they sound digital. You can't get a great tone out of them. Nothing compares to the fat juicy tone of a tube amp.

If you ask me, that's a little extreme. Line 6 amps sounds fine, but not great...
Also, they tend to start sounding crappy at HIGH volumes.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
The line 6 is fine for beginner and just fiddling around in your room.

As far as quality (like it breaking and stuff) - No worries.

The problem people here have with them is that they sound digital. You can't get a great tone out of them. Nothing compares to the fat juicy tone of a tube amp.

If you ask me, that's a little extreme. Line 6 amps sounds fine, but not great...
Also, they tend to start sounding crappy at HIGH volumes.

Good. I wasn't planning on playing anything really loud until I get decent, and I'll hopefully have done some more research and picked a nicer amp and have some money for it. I was thinking about a 30w Marshall once I get better.
I'm a new guitar player.
I want:
i have an omen 6 and the other guitarist in my band has the damien
ive only played an 350DX but it is not comparible to the wizard II on that
it Schecter necks are definately not as thin as Wizard 2 necks. but Schecter necks are right in between thick and thin. they're thicker than Ibanez and thinner than Fender and Gibson. its all personal preference. I really enjoy my schecter.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I noticed some people in here are playing on Schecter Omen 6s. That was originally the first guitar I wanted, but I shied away from it after I played a few other Schecters in the store because of the neck. What's the difference between the Omen and Damien? I know the Damien has EMGs, but are they pretty much the same guitar other than that (specifically the neck)?
I'm a new guitar player.
I want:
Quote by smagliaro
I noticed some people in here are playing on Schecter Omen 6s. That was originally the first guitar I wanted, but I shied away from it after I played a few other Schecters in the store because of the neck. What's the difference between the Omen and Damien? I know the Damien has EMGs, but are they pretty much the same guitar other than that (specifically the neck)?

dont knock the omen 6, it's a great guitar. they're pretty much the same except for the inlays and stock pickups. I actually recomend the Omen 6 over the Damien.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
dont knock the omen 6, it's a great guitar. they're pretty much the same except for the inlays and stock pickups. I actually recomend the Omen 6 over the Damien.

Awesome. That saves me $100 if I go with Schecter. Now I just need to actually play them.
I'm a new guitar player.
I want:
I love my Damien 6. The neck is pretty thin, compared to my Gibson V and my PRS. As for as Versatility goes, it handles pretty much anything I throw at it. I have either used it or have seen it used for thrash metal, metal core, classic rock, neoclassical, blues, country, and worship music. No joke. And it worked well for all of them.