So today is the first time restringing my electric guitar. I finished stringing and tuning, and wanted to play a few chords to see how the new strings sounded. I noticed it was out of tune allready and checked, and they were pretty bad. Do i have to let the strings sit for a while? Or did i string them wrong?
you can stretch them which is basically pulling at them and then retuning the string untill it no longer goes out of tune, or you can tune them play a few chords check the tuning and keep retuning them untill they stay in tune.
New strings need to be stretched.

Seriously, not joking.

just pull up on them around the 8th fret or so and stretch them, one at a time.
don't use too much force, just fair amount. Maybe pull an inch or 2 (no more than that) off the fretboard.

Retune

Repeat until it stops going out of tune..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
you can go up and down each string with your thumbs on both hands and kinda stretch them out, but don't bend them to the point where you bend them permanently of course. it's a lot faster then waiting a couple of hours.

Edit: wow everyone beat me to it. haha
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Nope. You're strings are stretching.

They will get out of tune like that for a few days.

He is strings?
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
i might have made a big mistake... i , like a noob, took all strings off first and then restrung. it was immediatly, but apparently this is a huge no-no. will this really damage my guitar ?
Quote by Rydin1
i might have made a big mistake... i , like a noob, took all strings off first and then restrung. it was immediatly, but apparently this is a huge no-no. will this really damage my guitar ?

It's not a no-no. You won't damage your guitar.
It just makes it a little more difficult to tune the guitar.

Changing strings one at a time makes it easier to tune because the other 5 will hold the tension on the neck and bridge, making it easy to tune the one you just switched.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
well i know people who say if u take all the strings off, the tension throws the guitar out of whack when they are all off.... i dont know how true this is or for what amount of time they are talking about
Quote by Rydin1
well i know people who say if u take all the strings off, the tension throws the guitar out of whack when they are all off.... i dont know how true this is or for what amount of time they are talking about

For the time it takes to change strings, no worries at all.

I always remove all strings when I change them.
Makes it easier to clean / polish the guitar (you do plan on doing that right?)

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jul 28, 2009,
yes i did clean and polish it. allrite, thanks for the replies,,,,, ive been sitting here retuning it ever couple minutes and its gradually getting better