I have the riffs worked out and everything, but I'm stuck on pitching a solo in there somewhere, mostly determining the mood whether it be triumphant or dark.

Halp?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by Psychaberration
dont put in a solo? where does it say you need a solo in a metal song?

Metallica thought that and look what happened.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
I've been dicking around with it for a while. Maybe it just doesn't need a solo.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Psychaberration
This is sort of good advice actually. If the song works by itself without a solo don't feel you have to put a solo in just because. I'd rather hear a song without a solo than a song with a solo that's uninspired and sounds tacked on.

If you really want to put a solo in my advice is twofold. First Listen to your song and determine were a solo would fit best and what you want the overall mood to be (Don't forget you can change moods in the middle of a solo. Or have more than one solo) Then listen to solo's that you like and that you feel evoke the mood you want. Sit down and look at why they sound like that, how they phrase everything etc
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by Psychaberration

Bob Rock.
Wonderful. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
1) make the rhythm tracks you'd have behind the solos, if you have 2 in mind make both
2) record yourself playing over each rhythm track for at least 30 mins
3) listen back to both and see what you like from each
4) splice them together into a solo

works for me when i'm stuck on what to do.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by fantasyh

To TS;

We can't really give opinions without hearing the riff or track.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I think that its good to have a solo if you can, but there will be the odd times when one won't fit. Basically if I were you I would loop the rhythm and improvise and just find what I like
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Do you have a GP/PT file of this song? If so maybe posting it could help us give some tips for writing a solo, or if it needs one at all.
Quote by fantasyh

What about For Whom the Bell Tolls? I would consider that a successful endeavor in eschewing a solo (whammy bar wanking at the end doesn't count )

In reference to the TS: although we try our best to help, you are going to have to make the artistic choices yourself. If you are stuck having to choose between two options, do what doive said and just do both, and THEN step back and determine if you will ultimately use both, one, try to mix them or chuck them both and start the process over again.
Quote by the white baron
What about For Whom the Bell Tolls? I would consider that a successful endeavor in eschewing a solo (whammy bar wanking at the end doesn't count )

I actually liked that a lot - I thought of the melody in the middle as a good thing instead of a solo. To be honest, I don't like a lot of Kirk's solos.

TC, what's your opinion on melodic solos? In the song's I've written, I have played the vocal line on guitar over a rhythm track, then playing around with some variations and arpeggios. That ties the song together nicely and it gives me a strong basis for what I want to play. You might want to try that.
I'm pretty sure it was the guitarist from EXTREME that said when writing a song if it feels like a song that needs a solo he'll put one in but if he feels it doesn't need one then thats how it gets left.

So basically does the song FEEL like it needs a solo?
Quote by 7stringusr
+99999999999999999999999999999999

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm