I currently have a Affinity Squier strat with a Fender Frontman 15G amp. I do not like the sound when it is clean at all, so I was considering an upgrade. I was wondering if I should get new pickups like these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Tex-Mex-Pickups-Set-of-3-300217-i1388516.gc
Or, should I just get a new guitar such as an Epiphone sg (G-400 most likely)
I unfortunately can't just keep my current and buy a new so I would have to sell it which could pose an issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, in case you need to know I play mostly rock/ metal
Last edited by chris69540 at Jul 29, 2009,
New amp.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i think you mean squire affinity... but anyway, pickups in actuality do very little compared to a new amp or different wood. Get an esp ltd, like a 100 or 250 series, or a new amp.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by cainmd
new amp, and epiphones suck

STFU.

Quote by chris69540
Alright, would a line 6 spider be good?

No it wouldn't.

Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube, Vox VT series; Have a look at them.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
STFU.

No it wouldn't.

Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube, Vox VT series; Have a look at them.

THIS
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
What would you suggest then as far as amps? I play mostly just in my bedroom and occasionally with a few friends

my bad, didnt see the post above me
Last edited by chris69540 at Jul 28, 2009,
Sorry to not contribute to this thread as the rules probably say I should, moderators feel free to delete my post... but the quality of replies on this forum has seems like its deteriorating =/

Sure, there are countless threads, such as this one, with beginners asking for advice on their gear but GEEZ, give the guy a break.

Quote by chris69540

Quote by TisPyon
no

Instead of offering no useful help to the TS why not actually say something constructive?

Hm. Anyway, what kind of money are you looking to spend on an amp Chris?
Quote by benx3000
i agree you should get a new amp. Squiers suck so much that they are not even worth changing the pickups. Get a raven amp, they are good and very affordable. Line 6 spiders are horrible, if you want to use effects pedals.

Here is a good raven amp:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG20-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-104622626-i1385072.gc

Erm....

They aren't any better than his current amp.

TS, check my suggestions from my previous post, do a little research but for bedroom/jamming 30watts should be fine.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Thank you for your help. I'm liking the Peavey Vypyr a lot, so I'll try it out when I get the chance. And should I really not upgrade to a better guitar? I have the money for it, I just have to get rid of my old one first.
Quote by cainmd
new amp, and epiphones suck

They do not...

And to answer the original question: I vote new amp. Which one? If you plan on playing in your bedroom for a while, and you need some encouragement and truer tone an inexpensive alternative is a Fender Front Man. With 25W of solid state (transistors / DSP) @ 200 bucks you should be good for a long while.
Last edited by miguelpereira at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by miguelpereira
They do not...

And to answer the original question: I vote new amp. Which one? If you plan on playing in your bedroom for a while, and you need some encouragement and truer tone an inexpensive alternative is a Fender Front Man. With 25W of solid state (transistors / DSP) @ 200 bucks you should be good for a long while.

He stated in the OP that he already owns a Frontman 15G...

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
He stated in the OP that he already owns a Frontman 15G...

And I offered my opinion: up it to a 25W model.

Or he can take the route of buying a 50-75W amp, which he won't be able to play at more than 1 minute past zero.
Last edited by miguelpereira at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by miguelpereira
And I offered my opinion: up it to a 25W model.

Or he can take the route of buying a 50-75W amp, which he won't be able to play at more than 1 minute past zero.

How'd you know?

TS stated bedroom practice and/or jamming with friends. 30w/50w it's perfect for that.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
How'd you know?

TS stated bedroom practice and/or jamming with friends. 30w/50w it's perfect for that.

What would you suggest then as far as amps? I play mostly just in my bedroom and occasionally with a few friends

I guess I am using my own bedroom as a reference

And lets be frank about something "occasionally with friends" most the times constitutes playing in someone else's bedroom or basement. In which case, well...25W will be more than plenty to cut through the mayhem a drummer might cause.
Quote by miguelpereira
I guess I am using my own bedroom as a reference

And lets be frank about something "occasionally with friends" most the times constitutes playing in someone else's bedroom or basement. In which case, well...25W will be more than plenty to cut through the mayhem a drummer might cause.

25w solid state in my experience won't cut it with drummer without sounding muddy and horrible.

I had a 50w Marshall AVT and that worked perfectly in a band and a bedroom situation - volume wise.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
25w solid state in my experience won't cut it with drummer without sounding muddy and horrible.

Yes it will, my 15 watt is loud enough to almost be as loud as the drums. 25w is fine.
Musicians I Want To See Live

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob
Yes it will, my 15 watt is loud enough to almost be as loud as the drums. 25w is fine.

It all depends on what you want. But as a general rule, the smaller the venue (bedroom) the less volume you want to use -or can actually use. Now, nothing wrong with a 4x10 combo, but if your room is 300sq-ft, it's a little overkill.

As far as cutting through: small room + un-muffled drums + loud guitar = useless IMHO.
I wouldn't upgrade the pickups in any Squier unless maybe it was one of the good MIJ ones. I can't have the pups in the guitar being worth more than the guitar
Quote by chris69540

You asked the Wrong Question on the wrong website!
Quote by MetalMike676

You asked the Wrong Question on the wrong website!

Yes but he is a begginer, don't be so mean to him, seriously, any begginer would see it and think it is fine.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Get yourself a Vox VT 15 watt. It's a hybrid amp, great for bedroom.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by Baraga

LINE6SPIDERS suck, because of the digital modeling....

Not because of the modeling itself, it's because it's CRAPPY modeling.
Line 6 Vettas are modeling amps. They cost $1700 dollars new. The modeling on a Vetta is hundreds of times better than what's on a Spider, hence why it sounds better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.