Not with the Frontman. It's more of an overdrive than a distortion IMO, and is used best to push a cranked tube amp, ala Randy Rhoads.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Yeah, a lot of the MXR distortion pedals are more of overdrives. Like the burger king said, Randy Rhoads used one, so you just listen to some of his stuff to hear roughly how it sounds.

As for getting an Iron Maiden sound, Any Murray uses a Marshall DSL100 (a la Wikipedia), so this pedal may help:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-SansAmp-Character-Series-CSBR-British-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=151136

It's supposed to emulate a Marshall sound, so it may help. I haven't really heard any clips of it, so you should probably look up some clips of it yourself.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Ok thanks but could I use the distortion plus to boost a crunchy amp channel well
I've actually got an old Distortion + sitting around that I plug in from time to time. It gives a nice tone on it's own but it's not much for distortion and, frankly, as a boost it seems kind of pointless.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Ok thanks but could I use the distortion plus to boost a crunchy amp channel well

That's kind of the point of the pedal, I have a DOD YJM308 which has the same electronic circuit as the Distortion+ and it works just as well if not better in front of an already overdriven amp. However these pedals work best in front of overdriven tube amps, and if I remember correctly, you recently acquired a Raven RG120.

Be prepared for a lot of noise

EDIT: Also, I don't think the Distortion+ really was the main ingredient in Randy's or Dave's tones. That would be attributed to the Marshalls they used.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Last edited by edbert at Jul 28, 2009,
for maiden in a stomp box you'd want something that sounds like a pused marshall. Definatly a zvex box of rock but its pricy or maybe a mi audio crunch box. proguitarshops has reviews of a ton of pedals on youtube.
If you are really looking for the Dave Murray tone in a box your best bet would probably be the Marshall Guv'nor pedal. It is basically a JCM 800 in a box. You would use it though your clean channel. I don't know how it would sound through a SS rig though. Maybe someone else can chime in here.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
I have a crate flexwave 120 watt for $200 and it was the best deal in my price range. I think I'm gonna get the mxr classic distortion.

You could've saved an extra $150 and gotten a Blackheart Little Giant combo. 150 more, but a million times better. Just my $.02
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Check out the MXR Classic Distoriton. Its basically a re boxed Distortion III and its on sale for like $40 right now.. Great pedal and should get you where you want to be. I actually regret getting rid of it myself it was a fun pedal in my dark and modern toned world..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 29, 2009,